Questions about re-installing W2K Pro, Norton AV, Transcenders and licensing

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Rudy Lopez, Mar 31, 2005.

  1. Rudy Lopez

    Rudy Lopez Guest

    I have a desktop with two NTFS formatted hard disks and am probably
    going to re-install the OS. The system seems to have gotten hosed with
    a Worm or perhaps a malicious MP3 encoder I downloaded. I remember one
    program a few months ago setting off around 100 alerts in Norton's
    Personal Firewall.

    I have a bunch of questions though.

    1) What's the best way to clean off the C drive completely before a
    re-install using the Windows 2000 Professional OEM disk?

    2) can I make my existing second drive visible to the fresh OS
    install?

    3) Should I re-install Norton AV/Personal Firewall 2003 or should I go
    with a different Anti-virus and Firewall (such as Zone Alarm and AVG)?

    4) Is Norton going to recognize me as already being subscribed for
    updates or are they going to leave me hanging after I do a reinstall?

    I don't want to go through this again. I think I am going to start
    using Firefox and a different email client.

    Rudy Lopez, Mar 31, 2005

  2. Rudy Lopez

    AG Guest

    "Rudy Lopez" <> wrote in message
    > I have a desktop with two NTFS formatted hard disks and am probably
    > going to re-install the OS. The system seems to have gotten hosed with
    > a Worm or perhaps a malicious MP3 encoder I downloaded. I remember one
    > program a few months ago setting off around 100 alerts in Norton's
    > Personal Firewall.
    >
    > I have a bunch of questions though.
    >
    > 1) What's the best way to clean off the C drive completely before a
    > re-install using the Windows 2000 Professional OEM disk?

    Fdisk

    > 2) can I make my existing second drive visible to the fresh OS
    > install?

    Unless you have encripted files you shouldn't have any problem. Encripted
    files will need to be unencripted before you reinstall.

    > 3) Should I re-install Norton AV/Personal Firewall 2003 or should I go
    > with a different Anti-virus and Firewall (such as Zone Alarm and AVG)?

    Norton works. You've paid for it. That one is up to you.

    > 4) Is Norton going to recognize me as already being subscribed for
    > updates or are they going to leave me hanging after I do a reinstall?

    Nope. I'm using 2002 for the third time.

    > I don't want to go through this again. I think I am going to start
    > using Firefox and a different email client.

    Good Idea. I suggest Thunderbird.

    AG

    AG, Apr 1, 2005