    would need it to run on my home, work, and laptop PCs to realize the value
    of the expensive purchase.

    Any help appreciated - thanks!

    news.sonic.net, Jan 22, 2006

  2. news.sonic.net

    Crash Gordon Guest

    Yep, if you can buy a legal old copy and upgrade it will be cheaper.

    Most software is limited to home many machines you can install it on before
    buying additional licenses. Check Adobe's website for the real scoop on all
    this.

    Crash Gordon, Jan 22, 2006

  3. news.sonic.net

    tomm42 Guest

    1) Where ever the best deal is, if you can get it with a Wacom at not
    too much of a premium I'd do that.
    2) Adobe CS2 can be licensed on 2 computers, preferably a laptop and a
    desktop, though how can they tell. You have to "authorize" your
    installation both times. CS2 is up to date with Camera RAW, if you
    don't need ACR, look for a clean copy of PS7. The PS7 license is for 2
    computers too, but no authorization.

    Another way to get around this is to buy a copy of Elements for the
    computer you use the least, it is an abreviated Photoshop, and AE4 I
    believe comes with Adobe Camera RAW.

    Tom

    tomm42, Jan 22, 2006
  4. news.sonic.net

    edjh Guest

    news.sonic.net wrote:
    > I was considering purchasing a copy of Photoshop CS2 and had two questions:
    >
    > 1. Where do you go to find the best deal? I have heard some people talk
    > about buying an older copy and upgrading being cheaper, or buying with a
    > Wacom tablet deal, etc...
    >
    > 2. I have heard mumblings that you can only run a copy of CS2 on one
    > computer, which would pretty much negate my buying it, as if I bought it, I
    > would need it to run on my home, work, and laptop PCs to realize the value
    > of the expensive purchase.
    >
    > Any help appreciated - thanks!

    I have not seen it bundled with a Wacom. I bought an Intuous in August
    and they included a coupon for a discount on Photoshop CS. Maybe that's
    what you heard about?

    --
    Comic book sketches and artwork:
    http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html

    edjh, Jan 22, 2006
  5. news.sonic.net

    Frank ess Guest

    edjh wrote:
    > news.sonic.net wrote:
    >> I was considering purchasing a copy of Photoshop CS2 and had two
    >> questions: 1. Where do you go to find the best deal? I have heard
    >> some people
    >> talk about buying an older copy and upgrading being cheaper, or
    >> buying with a Wacom tablet deal, etc...
    >>
    >> 2. I have heard mumblings that you can only run a copy of CS2 on
    >> one
    >> computer, which would pretty much negate my buying it, as if I
    >> bought it, I would need it to run on my home, work, and laptop PCs
    >> to realize the value of the expensive purchase.
    >>
    >> Any help appreciated - thanks!
    >>

    > I have not seen it bundled with a Wacom. I bought an Intuous in
    > August
    > and they included a coupon for a discount on Photoshop CS. Maybe
    > that's what you heard about?

    The way I learned I "needed" Photo Shop was in community college class
    on Web page design. As a registered student I was able to take
    advantage of the educational discount, so the version five I bought
    cost about a hundred and fifty dollars. Upgrades have been at the
    regular price. If you are a student or teacher, or have one in the
    family, the education discount may be availible to you.

    I got mine at Gradware, who happen to be just up the road. Things may
    have changed some, but they are still in business:
    http://www.gradware.com/ProductDetailT.asp?ProductID=6127

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Jan 22, 2006
  6. news.sonic.net

    HornBlower Guest

    Well, no software companies allow you to buy a single copy and use it on
    several computers. Adobe allows you to run it on two as long as they aren't
    both being used at the same time.

    Also, you can't get a full copy of Photoshop with any type of hardware.
    Adobe came out with Elements so they wouldn't have to do that.

    As for buying and older used copy or even new if you could find one. You
    need to make sure that you will be the legal owner of it. Otherwise Adobe
    will just tell you too bad and not allow you to re-register it. Personally,
    I wouldn't go this route. If you end up with an illegal copy then you are
    just out of money with no recourse.

    HornBlower, Jan 22, 2006
  7. news.sonic.net

    pjp Guest

    "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    > edjh wrote:
    > > news.sonic.net wrote:
    > >> I was considering purchasing a copy of Photoshop CS2 and had two
    > >> questions: 1. Where do you go to find the best deal? I have heard
    > >> some people
    > >> talk about buying an older copy and upgrading being cheaper, or
    > >> buying with a Wacom tablet deal, etc...
    > >>
    > >> 2. I have heard mumblings that you can only run a copy of CS2 on
    > >> one
    > >> computer, which would pretty much negate my buying it, as if I
    > >> bought it, I would need it to run on my home, work, and laptop PCs
    > >> to realize the value of the expensive purchase.
    > >>
    > >> Any help appreciated - thanks!
    > >>

    > > I have not seen it bundled with a Wacom. I bought an Intuous in
    > > August
    > > and they included a coupon for a discount on Photoshop CS. Maybe
    > > that's what you heard about?

    > The way I learned I "needed" Photo Shop was in community college class
    > on Web page design. As a registered student I was able to take
    > advantage of the educational discount, so the version five I bought
    > cost about a hundred and fifty dollars. Upgrades have been at the
    > regular price. If you are a student or teacher, or have one in the
    > family, the education discount may be availible to you.
    >
    > I got mine at Gradware, who happen to be just up the road. Things may
    > have changed some, but they are still in business:
    > http://www.gradware.com/ProductDetailT.asp?ProductID=6127
    >
    > --
    > Frank ess

    Some "web page class" if you need PS for it. Lemme guess, page layout done
    in Dreamweaver or something and never wrote any html code by hand at all
    also.No wonder pages are so bloated yet contain less info than a simple text
    file.

    pjp, Jan 22, 2006
  8. On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 22:32:47 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "pjp"
    <pjpoirier_is_located_at_@_hotmail_._com> wrote:

    >Some "web page class" if you need PS for it. Lemme guess, page layout done
    >in Dreamweaver or something and never wrote any html code by hand at all
    >also.No wonder pages are so bloated yet contain less info than a simple text
    >file.

    When you've been around as long and have contributed as positively as Frank
    has to this forum, I'll reconsider. Until then... plonk!
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jan 22, 2006
  9. news.sonic.net

    pixel_a_ted Guest

    HornBlower wrote:

    > As for buying and older used copy or even new if you could find one. You
    > need to make sure that you will be the legal owner of it. Otherwise Adobe
    > will just tell you too bad and not allow you to re-register it. Personally,
    > I wouldn't go this route. If you end up with an illegal copy then you are
    > just out of money with no recourse.

    Can you please elaborate on what you mean by being the legal owner.
    What more is needed to get the upgrade to CS2 to work other than the CD
    and S/N of the program?

    My situation is that my company has a license for PS7 on the Mac and I
    use PS7 at home. This is allowed by the license as I never use my work
    and home computer at the same time. So suppose I want to upgrade. My
    company stopped using Macs, so they will not be upgrading there, but I
    might want to buy the CS2 upgrade myself for my home computer. I have
    the CD and serial number. Will this be sufficient to get the upgrade to
    work?

    Thanks.

    pixel_a_ted, Jan 23, 2006
  10. news.sonic.net

    Frank Arthur Guest

    If you buy an upgrade it will not work unless Adobe verifies that you are a
    legitimate licensee. If you are not a legitimate licesnsee Adobe will not
    supply the neccessary
    numbers needed to use the upgraded version.
    To find out whether you are a legitimate licensee it would be wise to check
    with Adobe before you buy an upgrade.

    Frank Arthur, Jan 23, 2006
  11. news.sonic.net

    Tom Guest

    pixelated wrote how he has been using a company owned software product to do company work at home...So far so good.

    And implied that he uses the same tool for personal use...
    OK, That is between him and his employer.

    And that due to a company decision he will no longer have access to free upgrades at home for work and home use.
    Dang.

    And how maybe he could turn one license owned by his company into two?
    Nope. Sorry.

    Since you are asking - and not just taking - the starting point for your goal is to ask your employer to sell or give you something that you don't already own.

    Maybe they will give it to you...(have you been really really good?), but either way, they have to transfer the license to you for you to use as a basis to upgrade with your own money for your own machine for your own use.

    Look into the free and open source software GIMP and GIMPShop and the dcraw RAW converters

    Good luck, and don't sell your self out for a couple of hundred dollars.
    t.

    Tom, Jan 23, 2006
  12. news.sonic.net

    tacit Guest

    In article <43d3c540$0$58096$>,
    "news.sonic.net" <> wrote:

    > I was considering purchasing a copy of Photoshop CS2 and had two questions:

    Most likely, you'll be getting spam from Art Schwartz sometime in the
    next day or so, spamvertising a site called perfect-shareware that he
    claims will let you get a (bootleg) copy of Photoshop for $25. You might
    want to do a Google search on his name before you take him up on his
    offer.

    --
    Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink:
    all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

    tacit, Jan 23, 2006
  13. news.sonic.net

    Jon Danniken Guest

    "tacit" wrote:

    > Most likely, you'll be getting spam from Art Schwartz sometime in the
    > next day or so, spamvertising a site called perfect-shareware that he
    > claims will let you get a (bootleg) copy of Photoshop for $25. You might
    > want to do a Google search on his name before you take him up on his
    > offer.

    That guy still in business? I used to get spammed by him years ago; why the
    hell hasn't he been convicted of copyright infringement or something yet?

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Jan 23, 2006
  14. news.sonic.net

    Ron Hunter Guest

    tomm42 wrote:
    > 1) Where ever the best deal is, if you can get it with a Wacom at not
    > too much of a premium I'd do that.
    > 2) Adobe CS2 can be licensed on 2 computers, preferably a laptop and a
    > desktop, though how can they tell. You have to "authorize" your
    > installation both times. CS2 is up to date with Camera RAW, if you
    > don't need ACR, look for a clean copy of PS7. The PS7 license is for 2
    > computers too, but no authorization.
    >
    > Another way to get around this is to buy a copy of Elements for the
    > computer you use the least, it is an abreviated Photoshop, and AE4 I
    > believe comes with Adobe Camera RAW.
    >
    > Tom

    PSE is also licensed for 2 computers. I have it on my desktop and
    laptop. As to how they can tell, most software is 'internet aware'
    these days, and PS CS2 has to be 'authorized' or it won't work, so they
    CAN tell.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 23, 2006
  15. news.sonic.net

    pixel_a_ted Guest

    Tom wrote:

    > And implied that he uses the same tool for personal use...
    > OK, That is between him and his employer.

    "2.4 Portable or Home Computer Use. The primary user of the Computer on
    which the Software is installed may install a second copy of the
    Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable Computer or
    Computer used at his or her home, provided the Software on the
    portable or home Computer is not used at the same time as the Software
    on the primary Computer."

    > Maybe they will give it to you...(have you been really really good?),

    but either way, they have to transfer the license to you for you to use
    as a basis to upgrade with your own money for your own machine for your
    own use.

    Okay, so I need to get the license transfered.

    pixel_a_ted, Jan 23, 2006
  16. news.sonic.net

    tacit Guest

    In article <>,
    "Jon Danniken" <> wrote:

    > That guy still in business? I used to get spammed by him years ago; why the
    > hell hasn't he been convicted of copyright infringement or something yet?

    Oh, yes. He's still in business. He's had to switch ISPs a few times
    (and his site is now hosted on an outfit calling itself
    "trouble-free.net," a subsidiary of interserver.net. Interserver.net
    mentions hosting warez sites in its Terms and Conditions;
    trouble-free.net specifically permits warez sites as ong as they do ot
    host "actual files". Pretending to be a warez site is OK; since Art does
    not actually deliver on what he promises, but only steals people's
    credit card information and then threatens to report them for software
    piracy if they dispute the charges, he's off the hook.

    tacit, Jan 23, 2006
  17. news.sonic.net

    Father Kodak Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:40:56 GMT, tacit <> wrote:

    >In article <>,

    >Oh, yes. He's still in business. He's had to switch ISPs a few times
    >(and his site is now hosted on an outfit calling itself
    >"trouble-free.net," a subsidiary of interserver.net. Interserver.net
    >mentions hosting warez sites in its Terms and Conditions;
    >trouble-free.net specifically permits warez sites as ong as they do ot
    >host "actual files". Pretending to be a warez site is OK; since Art does
    >not actually deliver on what he promises, but only steals people's
    >credit card information and then threatens to report them for software
    >piracy if they dispute the charges, he's off the hook.

    Helluva guy!

    Father Kodak

    Father Kodak, Jan 24, 2006
  18. news.sonic.net

    istoo Guest

    In article <>,

    >Oh, yes. He's still in business.

    If anyone thinks that humankind in general is not good, then look to Ed The
    Scammer's health for proof that it is. If he pulled that crap within arms
    reach of anyone I know, he'd be fishfood already.

    istoo, Jan 24, 2006
  19. news.sonic.net

    Alan Meyer Guest

    news.sonic.net wrote:
    > I was considering purchasing a copy of Photoshop CS2 and had two questions:

    Here's an easy way to save money:

    Go to http://www.gimp.org and download the free GIMP
    (GNU Image Manipulation Program). You can put it on as
    many computers as you like and upgrade to any new releases
    absolutely free.

    Is it as good as Photoshop CS? No it's not. But it's pretty
    good. It might be as good as a sufficiently old PS. One
    day it might be as good as PS-CS. By that time, the latest
    version of PS will still be ahead of it, but you'll have to pay
    again to get it.

    You might at least try the GIMP and only pay money for
    PS if you find that it has something that you need that the
    GIMP doesn't have. I'm betting that, unless you're a
    professional graphics artist, or running a commercial
    print shop, the GIMP will have everything you need.

    (For that matter, so too will PS Elements.)

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Jan 24, 2006
  20. Alan Meyer wrote:
    > news.sonic.net wrote:
    >> I was considering purchasing a copy of Photoshop CS2 and had two
    >> questions: ...

    > Here's an easy way to save money:
    >
    > Go to http://www.gimp.org and download the free GIMP
    > (GNU Image Manipulation Program). You can put it on as

    <<::SNIP::>>
    > GIMP doesn't have. I'm betting that, unless you're a
    > professional graphics artist, or running a commercial
    > print shop, the GIMP will have everything you need.
    >
    > (For that matter, so too will PS Elements.)
    >
    > Alan

    I agree. I've got PS6 and CS, and recently an acquaintance who's having, er,
    cash flow problems sold me his copy of PS Elements 3. I got everything,
    retail box, disk, etc., which I believe constitutes a legit transfer, for
    $15. Anyway, I was surprised to find that for many tasks Elements is as
    fully-featured as PS, and after a little looking around, learned that
    several of the "missing" features (curves, layer masks, channels, etc.) can
    be accessed after all with freely available plugins.

    I understand that some of the back doors have been closed in the Elements
    4.0 version (curves, for one), but that's OK. Four didn't add that much,
    from what I've read, and actually eliminated some features (the file
    browser, for those who don't like Organizer, as well as curves), and since
    it's come out you should be able to find inexpensive, legit, full copies of
    Elements 3 both in the retail channel and on eBay. Might want to check it
    out; it could be all that you need, and almost certainly is if you're just
    getting started with image processing.

    Scott

    Scott Glasgow, Jan 24, 2006