    Also, I was thinking of taking travellers cheques rather than cash, are they
    widely accepted over there by hotels, shops etc?
    Thanks for any replies.
    smee, Jan 9, 2006

  2. smee

    Leo Landers Guest

    you can buy adaptors for british appliances at our supermarkets (Coles,
    Woolworths, etc.)

    Keep in touch,

    Leo XOXO

    Leo Landers, Jan 9, 2006

  3. smee

    Little k Guest

    "smee" <> wrote in message
    >I will be travelling to Australia next week from the UK and was wondering
    >whether our electrical appliances will work over there, (hair drier, phone
    >charger, camcorder etc) or will I need some type of adapter?
    > Also, I was thinking of taking travellers cheques rather than cash, are
    > they widely accepted over there by hotels, shops etc?
    > Thanks for any replies.

    Does this help...
    http://www.walkabouttravelgear.com/c_aust.htm
    Little k, Jan 9, 2006
  4. smee

    leveled Guest

    A few years ago we found travellers cheques expensive to change in the
    banks, but the main post offices would change American Express Travellers
    Cheques without a charge , which is what we did after being caned by the
    banks. Would suggest you enquire whether this is still so
    leveled, Jan 9, 2006
  5. smee

    J-McC Guest

    Re: Questions about Oz....use credit/debit card Visa or mastercard etc

    Hi I am in Australia. Rather than travellers cheques I would use your
    credit or debit card.
    We are a very upto date country and do have ATM machines at most major
    locations eg Fuel (petrol stops), shopping centres and most hotels and
    accomodation have EFTPOS (Electronic Funds Transfers Point Of sale)
    where you can pay by plastic and also get some cash out as well, you
    cannot get a cash advance on your credit card except at the banks (I
    think). In OZ there are a few type of cards, some are linked to your
    saving/cheque account and you can get cash anywhere from these. The
    credit cards are different, they will work allmost anywhere, 99.9% of
    merchants take them. You cannot get cash advances from the credit
    cards. Then there are debit cards which basically must have money in
    credit in them and you can use them as a creit card but you can also
    get cash advances as well.
    You will need to to check with your bank in the UK. This is a lot
    more convenient than travellers cheques, and you do not need to spend
    all your cash upfront..
    RE power outlet adapters you can purchase the at most hardware or
    electrical stores. Our GPO are a different shape to the english ones.

    Good luck with the trip. Also consider getting "Roaming" activated on
    your mobile, that way you can allways call home or be contacted from
    the UK in an emergency.
    Jim McC

    J-McC, Jan 9, 2006
  6. smee wrote:
    > I will be travelling to Australia next week from the UK and was wondering
    > whether our electrical appliances will work over there, (hair drier, phone
    > charger, camcorder etc) or will I need some type of adapter?
    > Also, I was thinking of taking travellers cheques rather than cash, are they
    > widely accepted over there by hotels, shops etc?
    > Thanks for any replies.

    I only took about £50 cash with me, any other money I needed I took from
    ATM's.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Jan 9, 2006
  7. smee

    Parko Guest

    smee wrote:
    > I will be travelling to Australia next week from the UK and was wondering
    > whether our electrical appliances will work over there, (hair drier, phone
    > charger, camcorder etc) or will I need some type of adapter?
    > Also, I was thinking of taking travellers cheques rather than cash, are they
    > widely accepted over there by hotels, shops etc?
    > Thanks for any replies.

    Credit/Debit cards will suffice in all but the remotest locales.
    Adaptors available from Mitre10, Bunnings, or DSE (Dick Smith
    Electronics) stores. Visit Sydney if you like cockroaches and race
    riots; Melbourne if you like wide boulevards, parks and gardens, and al
    fresco dining. Current temp in Melb @ 0818 (ish) is 18C, sunny. Top temp
    on Xmas day: 42C. Visit a coastal village, swim between the flags. Buy a
    Mambo shirt.
    Parko, Jan 9, 2006
  8. smee

    boots66 Guest

    on or around 09 Jan 2006, reportedly in news:ruAwf.212413$V7.103633@news-
    server.bigpond.net.au, Parko <> was rumoured to have
    supposedly alleged:

    > Buy a
    > Mambo shirt.

    They don't make the "Loud Shirts" anymore. :(

    --
    It has been said that man is a rational animal.
    All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
    boots66, Jan 10, 2006