Questions about Oppo DV-981HD

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Geena Phillips, Jan 25, 2007.

  1. I'm looking to hear from people who have used this player.

    A) How well does it handle multi-region and PAL material?

    B) Although it is optimized for HDTV displays, how is its performance on
    standard definition sets? I don't have HDTV yet, but my current player
    is six years old, and if I'm gonna replace it, I'd like to future-proof
    a bit.

    Thanks in advance.

    Well, whaddaya know? War WAS the answer, after all. Go figure.

    A lone Micronaut lost in a world of Star Wars action figures,
    (The Excessively Parenthetical) Geena-- Worrier Princess

    "Reciprocity... is the key to every relationship."
    --LAPD Capt. Dudley Smith (James Cromwell), in L.A. Confidential

    "Andy Warhol once said that everyone would be famous for fifteen
    minutes. The unfortunate corollary is that everyone will also appear in
    a Freddie Prinze, Jr. movie for fifteen minutes."
    --me

    "This is like driving a Rolls Royce, naked, in mink underpants."
    --Tony Bourdain

    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it
    but at the very least you need a beer."
    -- Frank Zappa

    "I'm not sayin' it's the best thing in the world FOR ya; I'm just sayin'
    it's the best thing in the world."
    -- Alton Brown

    "The most preposterous notion that H. sapiens has ever dreamed up is
    that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes,
    wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their
    prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet
    this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all
    the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in
    all history."
    -- Robert Heinlein

    Geena Phillips, Jan 25, 2007

  2. Geena Phillips

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    Geena Phillips <> wrote:

    > I'm looking to hear from people who have used this player.

    > A) How well does it handle multi-region and PAL material?

    I'm interested in this player as well. From the website, it sounds as if
    it can convert PAL discs, so you won't need a separate convertor.

    > B) Although it is optimized for HDTV displays, how is its performance on
    > standard definition sets? I don't have HDTV yet, but my current player
    > is six years old, and if I'm gonna replace it, I'd like to future-proof
    > a bit.

    HDTV arrives on Thursday (woot!) Would definitely like to replace my old
    hacked DVD player with one that upscales. Not interested in
    Blu-ray/HD-DVD at the moment.

    --
    Win cash and giftcards just for clicking your mouse!
    http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=amuro98

    Doug Jacobs, Jan 29, 2007

  3. You wrote:

    > I'm looking to hear from people who have used this player.
    >
    > A) How well does it handle multi-region and PAL material?

    There is a multi-region hack for it, and it does fine playing PAL. I have
    the R4 release of "Holiday" (Cary Grant/Kate Hepburn).

    > B) Although it is optimized for HDTV displays, how is its performance on
    > standard definition sets?

    Don't know as my displays are both HD - a 720p projector and a 1280x720p
    LCD.

    Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute, Jan 29, 2007
  4. You wrote:

    > Geena Phillips <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking to hear from people who have used this player.

    >> A) How well does it handle multi-region and PAL material?

    > I'm interested in this player as well. From the website, it sounds as if
    > it can convert PAL discs, so you won't need a separate convertor.

    Correct.

    Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute, Jan 29, 2007