    3. How much approx. cost for a back-up or extra battery pack?
    Thanks for info.

    , Jul 31, 2007

  2. Guest

    On Jul 30, 8:52 pm, wrote:
    > Sorry that I am too lazy to go through the manual:
    > 1. Is there a way to check the status of the battery in the LCD screen
    > ( full, half full or need to recharge symbols)?
    > 2. If I go look into the viewfinder (eye piece), center an
    > object...and then press the shutter button... that object does not end
    > up in the center of the stored image. Is this a fault in my G7.. or
    > all G7 likes that?
    > 3. How much approx. cost for a back-up or extra battery pack?
    > Thanks for info.

    If you haven't done so already, go to the website and downlaod the
    manual as a .PDF and let the computer 'read' it for you.

    GG

    , Jul 31, 2007

  3. ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 20:52:50 -0700, wrote:

    > Sorry that I am too lazy to go through the manual:

    Searching through paper manuals can sometimes be inconvenient or
    difficult. Much easier if you have a PDF version to search through.
    Was one provided with the G7 on a CD? If not, you can download both
    the Advanced and the Basic Camera User Guides from Canon's website.

    > 1. Is there a way to check the status of the battery in the LCD screen
    > ( full, half full or need to recharge symbols)?

    Yes, from the very little information shown on pages 18 and 134 of
    the Advanced Camera User Guide. Look for a battery icon positioned
    near the top right of the LCD display. Canon's footnote adds that
    this is one of the icons that :

    > Appears even even if the LCD monitor is set to Standard Display.

    > 2. If I go look into the viewfinder (eye piece), center an
    > object...and then press the shutter button... that object does not end
    > up in the center of the stored image. Is this a fault in my G7.. or
    > all G7 likes that?

    What distance was the object? If very close, it could simply be a
    parallax error and nothing to worry about. If the centering is off
    for both close and distant objects, it's probably a viewfinder
    misalignment. If you have the camera mounted on a tripod you can
    easily compare the centering using the optical viewfinder with that
    of the LCD display. The LCD won't get fooled by parallax. :)

    ASAAR, Jul 31, 2007
  4. Guest

    On Jul 30, 11:19 pm, ASAAR <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 20:52:50 -0700, wrote:
    > > Sorry that I am too lazy to go through the manual:

    > Searching through paper manuals can sometimes be inconvenient or
    > difficult. Much easier if you have a PDF version to search through.
    > Was one provided with the G7 on a CD? If not, you can download both
    > the Advanced and the Basic Camera User Guides from Canon's website.
    >
    > > 1. Is there a way to check the status of the battery in the LCD screen
    > > ( full, half full or need to recharge symbols)?

    > Yes, from the very little information shown on pages 18 and 134 of
    > the Advanced Camera User Guide. Look for a battery icon positioned
    > near the top right of the LCD display. Canon's footnote adds that
    > this is one of the icons that :
    >
    > > Appears even even if the LCD monitor is set to Standard Display.
    > > 2. If I go look into the viewfinder (eye piece), center an
    > > object...and then press the shutter button... that object does not end
    > > up in the center of the stored image. Is this a fault in my G7.. or
    > > all G7 likes that?

    > What distance was the object? If very close, it could simply be a
    > parallax error and nothing to worry about. If the centering is off
    > for both close and distant objects, it's probably a viewfinder
    > misalignment. If you have the camera mounted on a tripod you can
    > easily compare the centering using the optical viewfinder with that
    > of the LCD display. The LCD won't get fooled by parallax. :)

    Thanks for the quick info... I just scrambles through my 'junks" and
    finally found my manual. However, it says that when the battery sign
    comes up, it is time to recharge... it does not give you status or
    warning. Then it will be too late for having a full session, as it
    will deplete soon after that sign shows up. Charging time is quick...
    and therefore, I was hoping that there is a status which says it is
    3/4 full, 1/2 empty, just like your car gas gauge!

    I also have another question:
    The other day, I ran out of memory in my SD card. Then I grab another
    SD card from another brand camera. Luckily, once I inserted without
    reformat, I can see the 3 photos that I took previously with the other
    camera. I was surprised that it was compatible. However, when I
    download the photos, the G7 counter number is reset back to start from
    1 again!. So, I lost the counter to record the number of photos
    taken. Inside the SD card, somehow they create a new folder and rest
    from 1. I wonder what happens if I delete that new folder and write
    the old folder. Will the image will then continue from the older
    folder?

    , Jul 31, 2007
  5. ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 21:36:40 -0700, wrote:

    > Thanks for the quick info... I just scrambles through my 'junks" and
    > finally found my manual. However, it says that when the battery sign
    > comes up, it is time to recharge... it does not give you status or
    > warning. Then it will be too late for having a full session, as it
    > will deplete soon after that sign shows up. Charging time is quick...
    > and therefore, I was hoping that there is a status which says it is
    > 3/4 full, 1/2 empty, just like your car gas gauge!

    Hmm. Sorry about that. A quick look at the battery icon showed
    the same type of icon that is often used to show a limited number of
    battery states, usually 3, sometimes 4. You're right, that the
    manual doesn't indicate that it's this type of icon. This is
    surprising, as the G6 has a multi-level indicator, a battery icon
    that represents a charged battery (or at least not dangerously low),
    a battery icon indicating a low battery condition, and finally the
    same low battery icon with "Lb" displayed below it, indicating that
    the battery needs to be replaced or recharged. People have posted
    about some of the lost or reduced features of the G7 vs. the G6, but
    I don't think that this one has ever been mentioned before.

    > I also have another question:
    > The other day, I ran out of memory in my SD card. Then I grab another
    > SD card from another brand camera. Luckily, once I inserted without
    > reformat, I can see the 3 photos that I took previously with the other
    > camera. I was surprised that it was compatible. However, when I
    > download the photos, the G7 counter number is reset back to start from
    > 1 again!. So, I lost the counter to record the number of photos
    > taken. Inside the SD card, somehow they create a new folder and rest
    > from 1. I wonder what happens if I delete that new folder and write
    > the old folder. Will the image will then continue from the older
    > folder?

    I can't say, since it depends on how the G7's internal software
    was written, and anything is possible. I was burned by the same
    thing recently with my D50. I thought that I set the appropriate
    menu option, so I may have inadvertantly changed it. It sounds like
    you have your G7's File Number Reset Function set to Auto Reset, and
    changing it to Continuous may be better for you. See page 87 of the
    manual.

    ASAAR, Jul 31, 2007
  6. SMS Guest

    wrote:
    > Sorry that I am too lazy to go through the manual:
    > 1. Is there a way to check the status of the battery in the LCD screen
    > ( full, half full or need to recharge symbols)?

    On older G series cameras the battery gauge is present in the top LCD,
    but the G7 was decontented from the G6, and the top LCD (as well as the
    swivel feature of the main LCD) were eliminated to save money. A pain
    for those of use that rarely use the main LCD and prefer the optical
    viewfinder. On the G7, the battery indicator is on the main LCD.

    Interesting that the G7 manual refers to it as a "Low Battery Icon."
    This seems to indicate that there is actually no battery gauge any more
    on the G series. In the older G series cameras, the top LCD battery
    indicator was "Battery Charge State" and it was a real fuel gauge with
    several levels. A real battery gauge was always a big advantage in
    Li-Ion powered cameras, since it's very useful to know the charge state,
    not just when the battery is low. On the older G series, you still had a
    flat battery screen in the main LCD, it just says something like "Change
    the Battery".

    So the short answer is that it appears that there is no way to check the
    battery status. The low battery icon will appear when the battery is
    low. I could be wrong, but since Canon changed the terminology from
    "Battery Charge State" to "Low Battery Icon" from the G6 to the G7, I
    think that this means that they dropped the fuel gauge functionality.
    May as well get an S5 instead, and at least have the swivel LCD, and
    live with the disadvantages of AA batteries.

    > 2. If I go look into the viewfinder (eye piece), center an
    > object...and then press the shutter button... that object does not end
    > up in the center of the stored image. Is this a fault in my G7.. or
    > all G7 likes that?

    The optical viewfinder is only an approximation. It's difficult to do an
    accurate optical viewfinder on a zoom-lens camera. I doubt if it's a
    problem with your specific G7.

    > 3. How much approx. cost for a back-up or extra battery pack?

    $11 or so. Just avoid eBay batteries.

    "http://sterlingtek.com/canbeqba80.html"

    This is where I buy Li-Ion batteries, and I've been satisfied with them.
    The NB-2LH is what I call a "super-standard" Li-Ion battery. Lots of
    aftermarket sources for it. Also look for "dlc2l" which is the Lenmar
    model for the NB-2LH.

    > Thanks for info.

    You're welcome.

    Steve