    camera, NX2 is already built into the camera, or we may not need it at
    all?
    , Nov 16, 2008

  2. bmoag Guest

    NX is made by Nik software which I believe is a German company.
    NX is marketing a plug-in for Photoshop that works similarly and is not tied
    to the NEF format, although NX has always processed jpegs and Tiffs.
    Nikon does not include NX with its prosumer grade cameras.
    The trial download is fully functional for 60 days and well worth trying.
    If you have NX I am not sure that NX dos is a must have, but that's just my
    opinion. I could not justify the purchase. However I do recommend Nikon
    users have a version of NX on their computers. It is a great program that
    can be blended with the in-camera functions.
    NX should be thought of as a raw converter (although it will work with Tifs
    and jpegs) that uses a unique paradigm. The control points really work well
    once you get the hang of it. However NX/dos is nowhere near as phunctional
    as Photoshop.
    When you finish processing your masterpiece in NX, which uses color
    management, you can print from the program but will probably want to hand
    the image, a 16 bit tif, off to another program for final processing and
    printing.
    bmoag, Nov 16, 2008

  3. Guest

    On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 09:28:02 -0800 (PST), in rec.photo.digital
    wrote:

    >I have the following questions which I hope to get replies from the
    >group:
    >- Who/what company does make this software? Is it made by Nikon's
    >developers?

    I believe that to be Nik. No relation to Nikon.

    > I assume that NX2 can be used by other camera users, just
    >like Photoshop or Paint shop programs. Is it perhaps made by these
    >software companies, but branded to Nikon?

    Nx/NX2 will read jpegs from any source. Raw, I doubt it though I could be
    wrong.

    >- If you buy a Nikon DSLR, do you get the FULL software as part of the
    >package?

    Only specials. When Nikon released the D300 they had full versions of NX
    with it. I believe that was for the first XXXX sold, though not completely
    sure. I gave it a try and didn't like the workflow so I only use it for
    very special cases. My D200 and D70 came with only the very limited Nikon
    View,

    >- If not full, does a stepdown version of the software come with the
    >purchase of any Nikon's DSLR?

    You get ViewNX which has very limited raw adjustment capability.

    >- If not, Does the high end DSLR camera provide Capture NX2 as part of
    >the package? (such as D300, D700, D3?) . Perhaps, for such high end
    >camera, NX2 is already built into the camera, or we may not need it at
    >all?

    Can't speak for the D700 or D3, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
    , Nov 16, 2008
  4. Paul Furman Guest

    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> I have the following questions which I hope to get replies from the
    >> group:
    >> - Who/what company does make this software? Is it made by Nikon's
    >> developers?

    > I believe that to be Nik. No relation to Nikon.

    Hmm, there must be a very close relationship though because it doesn't
    work on other camera models, right? I don't like the proprietary
    software concept and will not buy it. I would kind of like the remote
    control software though... I used an earlier version with my D70 that
    came bundled with the converter for $100 and the remote control was very
    cool but I didn't like the converter.

    >> I assume that NX2 can be used by other camera users, just
    >> like Photoshop or Paint shop programs. Is it perhaps made by these
    >> software companies, but branded to Nikon?

    > Nx/NX2 will read jpegs from any source. Raw, I doubt it though I could be
    > wrong.
    >
    >> - If you buy a Nikon DSLR, do you get the FULL software as part of the
    >> package?

    > Only specials. When Nikon released the D300 they had full versions of NX
    > with it. I believe that was for the first XXXX sold, though not completely
    > sure. I gave it a try and didn't like the workflow so I only use it for
    > very special cases. My D200 and D70 came with only the very limited Nikon
    > View,
    >
    >> - If not full, does a stepdown version of the software come with the
    >> purchase of any Nikon's DSLR?

    > You get ViewNX which has very limited raw adjustment capability.
    >
    >> - If not, Does the high end DSLR camera provide Capture NX2 as part of
    >> the package? (such as D300, D700, D3?) . Perhaps, for such high end
    >> camera, NX2 is already built into the camera, or we may not need it at
    >> all?

    > Can't speak for the D700 or D3, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

    No free software with my D700

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Nov 16, 2008
  5. Eric Stevens Guest

    On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 09:28:02 -0800 (PST), wrote:

    >I have the following questions which I hope to get replies from the
    >group:
    >- Who/what company does make this software? Is it made by Nikon's
    >developers? I assume that NX2 can be used by other camera users, just
    >like Photoshop or Paint shop programs. Is it perhaps made by these
    >software companies, but branded to Nikon?
    >- If you buy a Nikon DSLR, do you get the FULL software as part of the
    >package?
    >- If not full, does a stepdown version of the software come with the
    >purchase of any Nikon's DSLR?
    >- If not, Does the high end DSLR camera provide Capture NX2 as part of
    >the package? (such as D300, D700, D3?) . Perhaps, for such high end
    >camera, NX2 is already built into the camera, or we may not need it at
    >all?

    The product sold by Nikon is known as 'Capture NX2'. There has
    recently been an update since the earlier verions of NX2 went into the
    box with Nikon cameras. The current version is 2.1.0. Capture NX2 is
    produced by Nikon but is built around the products of Nik Software Inc
    whose web page describes itself as:

    http://www.niksoftware.com/company/en/entry.php
    Nik Software, Inc. (formerly Nik Multimedia, Inc.) is a
    privately-held American company that develops software solutions
    for the growing digital-imaging and photography markets.
    Established in 1995, Nik Software has become the recognized
    leader in digital photographic filter development and produces
    award-winning technology and plug-in products for digital
    photography and imaging professionals including U Point®
    technology, Dfine®, Viveza™, Silver Efex Pro™, Color Efex Pro™,
    and Nik Sharpener Proâ„¢ software.

    The company’s products use a range of innovative technologies
    that make digital imaging and photography easier and more powerful.
    Nik Software is headquartered in San Diego, California with branch
    offices in Germany.

    As described on the relevant web page
    http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/software/capturenx2/index.htm
    Capture NX2 uses U Point® technology. There is no claim for it using
    any other Nik modules.

    Capture NX2 is designed to work with JPG, TIFF and RAW files from
    Nikon cameras. It cannot process RAW files from any other make.

    The power and complexity of the software is such that it is not
    practicable to build it into the camera. However, some of the features
    of DX2 such as 'D-Lighting' are built into the camera but are less
    flexible to use (and probably less capable) than the ones in Capture
    NX2.

    Eric Stevens
    Eric Stevens, Nov 16, 2008
  6. N Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I have the following questions which I hope to get replies from the
    > group:
    > - Who/what company does make this software? Is it made by Nikon's
    > developers? I assume that NX2 can be used by other camera users, just
    > like Photoshop or Paint shop programs. Is it perhaps made by these
    > software companies, but branded to Nikon?
    > - If you buy a Nikon DSLR, do you get the FULL software as part of the
    > package?
    > - If not full, does a stepdown version of the software come with the
    > purchase of any Nikon's DSLR?
    > - If not, Does the high end DSLR camera provide Capture NX2 as part of
    > the package? (such as D300, D700, D3?) . Perhaps, for such high end
    > camera, NX2 is already built into the camera, or we may not need it at
    > all?

    Take a look here and notice Mike Ruben. He works for Nikon.

    http://www.flickr.com/groups/capturenx/discuss/

    http://www.flickr.com/groups/capture_nx_2_how-to-videos/
    N, Nov 17, 2008
  7. Roy G Guest

    "bmoag" <> wrote in message
    > NX is made by Nik software which I believe is a German company.
    > NX is marketing a plug-in for Photoshop that works similarly and is not
    > tied to the NEF format, although NX has always processed jpegs and Tiffs.
    > Nikon does not include NX with its prosumer grade cameras.
    > The trial download is fully functional for 60 days and well worth trying.
    > If you have NX I am not sure that NX dos is a must have, but that's just
    > my opinion. I could not justify the purchase. However I do recommend Nikon
    > users have a version of NX on their computers. It is a great program that
    > can be blended with the in-camera functions.
    > NX should be thought of as a raw converter (although it will work with
    > Tifs and jpegs) that uses a unique paradigm. The control points really
    > work well once you get the hang of it. However NX/dos is nowhere near as
    > phunctional as Photoshop.
    > When you finish processing your masterpiece in NX, which uses color
    > management, you can print from the program but will probably want to hand
    > the image, a 16 bit tif, off to another program for final processing and
    > printing.

    If you keep your eyes on the ads, you will see Nikon Capture being offered
    free with certain Cameras, now and again. At other times, you only get a 30
    day trial version.

    At the moment Warehouse Express, and probably others, are offering NX2 Free
    with the D700.

    When I bought my D300 in June, I got Capture NX1 for free with it, then
    Capture NX2 was released almost immediately.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Nov 17, 2008