    I have recently downgraded from Jetstream full speed to the surf (256k) plan
    to get the higher traffic allowance, and to be honest it's not that much
    better than dialup...

    Adam R, Jul 29, 2004

  2. Adam R

    EMB Guest

    Adam R wrote:
    > What's the deal with Bitstream, the forthcoming ADSL service from Telecom?
    >
    > Will it result in better value for money for the end user at home?

    Yes it offers better value -
    http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/jetstream/offers/bitstream/

    > I've heard whispers of a 512K service - anyone know what will be on offer to
    > consumers?

    All the rumours I've heard are of 256K so far, but most people I've
    spoken to have said that they will introduce products to meet the wishes
    of the market. At the moment the perception (from their end) appears to
    be that value for money is more important than higher speed.

    > I have recently downgraded from Jetstream full speed to the surf (256k) plan
    > to get the higher traffic allowance, and to be honest it's not that much
    > better than dialup...

    and unless we're talking about big downloads the 256K is adequate. But
    trying to surf on a dialup is really frustrating.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    EMB, Jul 29, 2004

  3. Adam R

    Adam R Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message

    > http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/jetstream/offers/bitstream/

    So it seems bitstream refers to ISPs reselling ADSL directly, instead of the
    current split where you pay Telecom for Jetstream and the ISP for the
    internet access...

    > > I have recently downgraded from Jetstream full speed to the surf (256k)

    plan
    > > to get the higher traffic allowance, and to be honest it's not that much
    > > better than dialup...

    Yeah perception. I have had full speed for a couple of years, and also at
    work. Going to 256k is a real shock. OK so it's faster than dial up but the
    improvement is not proportional to the increase in cost over dialup.

    Admittedly you also pay for the convenience of always-on and not using up
    the phone line....

    Adam R, Jul 29, 2004
  4. Adam R wrote:
    > I've heard whispers of a 512K service - anyone know what will be on offer to
    > consumers?

    512k wont be offered until next year(march supposedly), and 1Mbit later on.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 29, 2004
  5. Adam R

    JedMeister Guest

    I guess its a matter of opinion, but I do find ADSL 256 much better than
    dial-up. Three reasons, it is about 5 times faster, is 'always on' , and it
    does not tie up the phone line.

    JedMeister, Jul 29, 2004
  6. Adam R

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Adam R" <> wrote in message
    > What's the deal with Bitstream, the forthcoming ADSL service from Telecom?
    >
    > Will it result in better value for money for the end user at home?
    >
    > I've heard whispers of a 512K service - anyone know what will be on offer

    > consumers?
    >
    > I have recently downgraded from Jetstream full speed to the surf (256k)

    plan
    > to get the higher traffic allowance, and to be honest it's not that much
    > better than dialup...

    Any ISPS out there that will give me 512k and a flatrate? no data charges
    limits etc.
    I have $100 a month here waiting to go into your account.

    and No i'm not one of those leeches that grab 100 gigs a month of warez and
    porn. I have the ocassional need to view some high speed live video streams.
    But other than that I barely download stuff at all.

    Craig Sutton, Jul 29, 2004
  7. Adam R

    Harry Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:

    > "Adam R" <> wrote in message
    >> What's the deal with Bitstream, the forthcoming ADSL service from
    >> Telecom?
    >>
    >> Will it result in better value for money for the end user at home?
    >>
    >> I've heard whispers of a 512K service - anyone know what will be on offer

    >> consumers?
    >>
    >> I have recently downgraded from Jetstream full speed to the surf (256k)

    > plan
    >> to get the higher traffic allowance, and to be honest it's not that much
    >> better than dialup...
    >>

    > Any ISPS out there that will give me 512k and a flatrate? no data charges
    > limits etc.
    > I have $100 a month here waiting to go into your account.
    >
    > and No i'm not one of those leeches that grab 100 gigs a month of warez
    > and porn. I have the ocassional need to view some high speed live video
    > streams. But other than that I barely download stuff at all.

    Why not just get a fullspeed Jetstream with a whopping 1GB allowance
    per month? You don't expect to get modern technology in 1950's NZ do you?

    Harry, Jul 29, 2004
  8. Adam R

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in message

    You don't expect to get modern technology in 1950's NZ do you?

    WTF is your problem? You continually slag off NZ, and you claim to be
    resident in OZ (yet, you let slip elsewhere you weren't). If you really
    don't like our fine country - well **** off to some other shithole!

    RJ out.

    Ryan Jacobs, Jul 29, 2004
  9. Craig Sutton wrote:
    > Any ISPS out there that will give me 512k and a flatrate? no data charges
    > limits etc.
    > I have $100 a month here waiting to go into your account.
    > and No i'm not one of those leeches that grab 100 gigs a month of warez and
    > porn. I have the ocassional need to view some high speed live video streams.
    > But other than that I barely download stuff at all.

    if you dont need to transfer a lot of data, why the need for flat rate?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 29, 2004
  10. Adam R

    Brett Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 08:59:28 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote:

    >Craig Sutton wrote:
    >> Any ISPS out there that will give me 512k and a flatrate? no data charges
    >> limits etc.
    >> I have $100 a month here waiting to go into your account.
    >> and No i'm not one of those leeches that grab 100 gigs a month of warez and
    >> porn. I have the ocassional need to view some high speed live video streams.
    >> But other than that I barely download stuff at all.

    >if you dont need to transfer a lot of data, why the need for flat rate?

    To be safe from DOS attacks where you could get a big bill from somebody
    pinging your computer to death. I guess that's why I would like to have a
    flatrate if I didn't use much bandwidth.

    I'm still hanging out with the dialup, $15 a month vs $60 -> $80
    4 times the price for 5 times the speed, not good on my budget.

    Brett

    Brett, Jul 29, 2004
  11. Adam R

    Harry Guest

    Ryan Jacobs wrote:

    > "Harry" <> wrote in message
    >

    > You don't expect to get modern technology in 1950's NZ do you?
    >>

    > WTF is your problem? You continually slag off NZ, and you claim to be
    > resident in OZ (yet, you let slip elsewhere you weren't). If you really
    > don't like our fine country - well **** off to some other shithole!

    What a small-minded attitude? So a person cannot be resident in two
    countries? And cannot be a citizen of both?

    I have the right to be critical of anything anywhere.
    Especially since I have the right to vote in either country.

    If NZ doesn't want to be criticized then it should get its act together.

    Harry, Jul 29, 2004
  12. Adam R

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:37:41 +1200, Brett wrote:

    > To be safe from DOS attacks where you could get a big bill from somebody
    > pinging your computer to death. I guess that's why I would like to have a
    > flatrate if I didn't use much bandwidth.

    But wouldn't that be a widespread problem for everyone? Or are you up to
    stuff that might encourage people to do that to you? :)

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jul 29, 2004
  13. Adam R

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote in message
    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    > > Any ISPS out there that will give me 512k and a flatrate? no data

    charges
    > > limits etc.
    > > I have $100 a month here waiting to go into your account.
    > > and No i'm not one of those leeches that grab 100 gigs a month of warez

    and
    > > porn. I have the ocassional need to view some high speed live video

    streams.
    > > But other than that I barely download stuff at all.

    > if you dont need to transfer a lot of data, why the need for flat rate?

    i don't want to about data charges when the need arrises to view some
    streaming video

    Craig Sutton, Jul 30, 2004