    when they bring in a machine for service?

    Gary

    , Sep 11, 2003

  2. techshare Guest

    I thought a service agreement was an agreement between a service company and
    the customer to perform a certain amount of work on a regular basis for a
    set fee.

    The only thing I have my customers sign is an invoice. Two copies (since I
    don't have carbons now). The invoice claims a 30 day warranty on parts/labor
    listed on the invoice (or 90 days for new systems and other items). However
    this is all this basic ... since I rarely do work without getting paid at
    least a bench fee (up front ).

    techshare, Sep 11, 2003

  3. Guest

    My lawyer advised me that i should have them sign a service
    agreement similiar to what you sign when you bring a car in for
    repairs. Stating your hourly rate and how do you bill for less than an
    hour.

    Gary

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:07:27 -0400, "techshare" <>
    wrote:

    >I thought a service agreement was an agreement between a service company and
    >the customer to perform a certain amount of work on a regular basis for a
    >set fee.
    >
    >The only thing I have my customers sign is an invoice. Two copies (since I
    >don't have carbons now). The invoice claims a 30 day warranty on parts/labor
    >listed on the invoice (or 90 days for new systems and other items). However
    >this is all this basic ... since I rarely do work without getting paid at
    >least a bench fee (up front ).
    ><> wrote in message
    >> For those people with a legitimate business.
    >>
    >> Do you have your customers sign a service agreement
    >> when they bring in a machine for service?
    >>
    >> Gary

    , Sep 11, 2003
  4. Ghost Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > For those people with a legitimate business.
    >
    > Do you have your customers sign a service agreement
    > when they bring in a machine for service?
    >
    > Gary

    ABSOLUTELY!!!

    Ghost, Sep 11, 2003
  5. Ghost Guest

    In article <>, "techshare"
    <> wrote:

    > I thought a service agreement was an agreement between a service company and
    > the customer to perform a certain amount of work on a regular basis for a
    > set fee.
    >
    > The only thing I have my customers sign is an invoice. Two copies (since I
    > don't have carbons now). The invoice claims a 30 day warranty on parts/labor
    > listed on the invoice (or 90 days for new systems and other items). However
    > this is all this basic ... since I rarely do work without getting paid at
    > least a bench fee (up front ).
    > <> wrote in message
    > > For those people with a legitimate business.
    > >
    > > Do you have your customers sign a service agreement
    > > when they bring in a machine for service?
    > >
    > > Gary

    No, the service agrrement should be signed BEFORE work is perofmred on the
    customer machine- and among others things it should set forth the rates an
    what is expected, as well as what the complaints are. This way the cust
    cannot claim you did not fix a problem they neever mentioned.

    Ghost, Sep 11, 2003
  6. techshare Guest

    OK, are there any good (free) examples of such a service agreement? Do we
    all have to pay attorneys to write them up? Also, what if you don't charge
    by the hour (flat rate or per job)?

    techshare, Sep 12, 2003
  7. Ghost Guest

    Well, then you would want to put that into your agreement.

    I do not know of any online offhand, but I am quite sure they are out there.

    My agreement also says any unclaimed property past 30 days after
    completeion without prior arrangments is mine. I had a few customers who
    left their stuff in the shop for months- meaning I was still waiting on
    payment. Either i could not reach them, or they did not have the money to
    pick it up, etc. I got tired of it.

    Also, the agreement says I am not responsible for unintentional damage.
    What happens if a PSU dies on you during the time it is in the shop?

    It also explains in the agreement that PC repair work is often time
    consuming and how the time can be lengthed by the customers lack of
    drivers, a slow CDROm, etc.

    Ghost, Sep 12, 2003
  8. techshare Guest

    Those things sound cool. I guess you can make up whatever you want in
    agreement. ...whether or not it binds is another story. Maybe I can put
    something in there about software piracy (my pet peeve :-/) ... and another
    thing I'm thinking about starting a discussion on the lines of drivers and
    "no name" components .... most importantly mainboards. I am really getting
    sick of other companies in town sticking no name mainboards in their beige
    boxes ... selling them ... and of course not supporting them ... then the
    disgruntled customers call up another service business (mine) and expect me
    to work miracles with their silly sh*t for next to nothing. <SIGH> All this
    so my competition can make more profit than I do while selling the customers
    total crap.

    On top of it ... these *sshole customers will tell me how they liked the
    business they now refuse to call because they think they got a good "deal".
    GRRR!! You ask these dumbasses "If they are so good ... then why are you
    calling me?" "Oh, well they weren't good at support, but they gave me a
    great deal on this machine ... so you should be able to fix it cheaply
    right?" "Won't they fix it for you?" "No, they just want to sell me ANOTHER
    machine". Ah!

    techshare, Sep 12, 2003
  9. Ghost Guest

    In article <>, "techshare"
    <> wrote:

    > Those things sound cool. I guess you can make up whatever you want in
    > agreement. ...whether or not it binds is another story. Maybe I can put
    > something in there about software piracy (my pet peeve :-/) ... and another
    > thing I'm thinking about starting a discussion on the lines of drivers and
    > "no name" components .... most importantly mainboards. I am really getting
    > sick of other companies in town sticking no name mainboards in their beige
    > boxes ... selling them ... and of course not supporting them ... then the
    > disgruntled customers call up another service business (mine) and expect me
    > to work miracles with their silly sh*t for next to nothing. <SIGH> All this
    > so my competition can make more profit than I do while selling the customers
    > total crap.
    >
    > On top of it ... these *sshole customers will tell me how they liked the
    > business they now refuse to call because they think they got a good "deal".
    > GRRR!! You ask these dumbasses "If they are so good ... then why are you
    > calling me?" "Oh, well they weren't good at support, but they gave me a
    > great deal on this machine ... so you should be able to fix it cheaply
    > right?" "Won't they fix it for you?" "No, they just want to sell me ANOTHER
    > machine". Ah!

    I think you have some of the same customers I do... or at least they are
    related.. lol

    And we must have the same competition too!

    I can tell you, I am eventually going to get out of the break/fix crap...
    When I come back from my vacation next month, i will start steering the
    company in another direction because the break/fix arena is going to die
    off soon I think.

    Ghost, Sep 12, 2003
  10. Guest

    Ghost would you be kind enough to contact me off list.
    To discuss this further.

    Thanks for your help,

    Gary

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 22:18:36 GMT, (Ghost) wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> For those people with a legitimate business.
    >>
    >> Do you have your customers sign a service agreement
    >> when they bring in a machine for service?
    >>
    >> Gary

    >ABSOLUTELY!!!

    , Sep 12, 2003
  11. techshare Guest

    Really? Well good luck ... and not that you want to give away secrets ...
    but I wonder what else a PC service business can branch into. I have a few
    things I'm working on ... but I'm not sure how it will pan out. Software
    development isn't generally profitable for small business anymore. What
    about installing cable and/or DSL? Do these Internet access giants still
    want independents selling and doing installs? If not, they certainly should.
    I cannot believe the clowns they have working for them full time doing
    installs.

    techshare, Sep 12, 2003
  12. On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 00:49:47 GMT, (Ghost) wrote:

    >Well, then you would want to put that into your agreement.
    >
    >I do not know of any online offhand, but I am quite sure they are out there.
    >
    >My agreement also says any unclaimed property past 30 days after
    >completeion without prior arrangments is mine. I had a few customers who
    >left their stuff in the shop for months- meaning I was still waiting on
    >payment. Either i could not reach them, or they did not have the money to
    >pick it up, etc. I got tired of it.

    If I remember correctly from when I was in electronics repair, the law
    in this province is that a shop is not obliged to hold anything after
    30 days. This does not preclude the possibility of other arrangements
    being made, of course.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Sep 12, 2003
  13. On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 00:35:17 -0400, "techshare" <>
    wrote:

    >Those things sound cool. I guess you can make up whatever you want in
    >agreement. ...whether or not it binds is another story. Maybe I can put
    >something in there about software piracy (my pet peeve :-/) ... and another
    >thing I'm thinking about starting a discussion on the lines of drivers and
    >"no name" components .... most importantly mainboards. I am really getting
    >sick of other companies in town sticking no name mainboards in their beige
    >boxes ... selling them ... and of course not supporting them ... then the
    >disgruntled customers call up another service business (mine) and expect me
    >to work miracles with their silly sh*t for next to nothing. <SIGH> All this
    >so my competition can make more profit than I do while selling the customers
    >total crap.
    >
    >On top of it ... these *sshole customers will tell me how they liked the
    >business they now refuse to call because they think they got a good "deal".
    >GRRR!! You ask these dumbasses "If they are so good ... then why are you
    >calling me?" "Oh, well they weren't good at support, but they gave me a
    >great deal on this machine ... so you should be able to fix it cheaply
    >right?" "Won't they fix it for you?" "No, they just want to sell me ANOTHER
    >machine". Ah!

    That's the attitude that is threatening the electronics repair
    industry also, I think.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Sep 12, 2003