    Is there something instrinsic with motherboard design that makes it
    impossible for the PC to scan a newly inserted CD/DVD without stopping
    everything else its doing?

    Andrew Gerald, Sep 16, 2005

  2. Andrew Gerald wrote:
    > With all the advances in computer design over the last decade, why does
    > my PC still freeze for a few seconds when I put in a CD or DVD?

    IO limitation?

    > Is there something instrinsic with motherboard design that makes it
    > impossible for the PC to scan a newly inserted CD/DVD without stopping
    > everything else its doing?

    no idea, mine works fine, as do three others in the office, and my home one.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 16, 2005

  3. > no idea, mine works fine, as do three others in the office, and my home one.

    Hmm, now that I've tried it again it doesn't seem to happen! Maybe it's
    only when the application tries to access the CD/DVD drive while the
    drive is detecting the newly inserted CD/DVD. I dunno, next time it
    happens I'll give specific details.

    Andrew Gerald, Sep 16, 2005
  4. Andrew Gerald

    Richard Guest

    Andrew Gerald wrote:
    > With all the advances in computer design over the last decade, why does
    > my PC still freeze for a few seconds when I put in a CD or DVD?
    >
    > Is there something instrinsic with motherboard design that makes it
    > impossible for the PC to scan a newly inserted CD/DVD without stopping
    > everything else its doing?

    The only thing that freeses on mine is the explorer view of my computer for a
    few seconds while it refreshes and gets the icon and name and stuff to display.
    everything else keeps going fine.

    Perhaps you have some dodgey packet writing software installed that isnt
    behaving too well?

    Richard, Sep 16, 2005
  5. Andrew Gerald

    XP Guest

    On 15 Sep 2005 20:55:27 -0700, "Andrew Gerald" <> wrote:

    >With all the advances in computer design over the last decade, why does
    >my PC still freeze for a few seconds when I put in a CD or DVD?
    >
    >Is there something instrinsic with motherboard design that makes it
    >impossible for the PC to scan a newly inserted CD/DVD without stopping
    >everything else its doing?

    Yes if it does, if it does not have a Fast CPU and Fast IDE ports, plus not
    using XP..

    XP, Sep 16, 2005
  6. Okay, next stupid question. I just installed a new CPU and the fan on
    this is a lot louder than anything I've had before. The new CPU is a P4
    3.2ghz LGA775. My other recent PC's were a P4 2.8ghz and Athlon64 3000+
    and neither of them were particularly noisy.

    Are the fans on more recent P4's louder than usual, or could there be
    something wrong with mine? Note that it's not a grinding sound or
    anything like that, it's just louder than I'm used to.

    Andrew Gerald, Sep 16, 2005
  7. Andrew Gerald

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 21:42:33 -0700, Andrew Gerald wrote:

    > Hmm, now that I've tried it again it doesn't seem to happen! Maybe it's
    > only when the application tries to access the CD/DVD drive while the
    > drive is detecting the newly inserted CD/DVD. I dunno,

    I think you should. For you have answered your own question yes?

    Gordon, Sep 16, 2005
  8. > I think you should. For you have answered your own question yes?

    Yeah I suppose. And although it makes sense that the drive is
    unavailable while it's detecting a new CD/DVD, it's the way the
    applications hang that made me think that the whole PC was freezing.
    e.g. When I have Nero running and I put in a blank DVD, if I switch to
    another application and then back to Nero, the screen doesn't refresh
    properly and under Task Manager it shows as Not Responding for a few
    seconds. I could understand if Nero had an hourglass and you couldn't
    do anything during that time, but the fact that the window doesn't
    refresh properly doesn't seem right.

    Andrew Gerald, Sep 16, 2005
  9. On 15 Sep 2005 22:49:24 -0700, Andrew Gerald wrote:

    > Okay, next stupid question. I just installed a new CPU and the fan on
    > this is a lot louder than anything I've had before. The new CPU is a P4
    > 3.2ghz LGA775. My other recent PC's were a P4 2.8ghz and Athlon64 3000+
    > and neither of them were particularly noisy.
    >
    > Are the fans on more recent P4's louder than usual, or could there be
    > something wrong with mine? Note that it's not a grinding sound or
    > anything like that, it's just louder than I'm used to.

    Well the stock fans with P4s aren't particulary quiet normally.

    Check the BIOS setup for what fan speed they are running at. Most
    motherboards these days will reduce the CPU fan when the temperature isn't
    too high (i.e. the CPU is mostly idle). In Asus boards it is called Q-Fan
    or similar.

    You really need to consider getting a third-party heatsink/fan to get the
    noise down though.

    wogers nemesis, Sep 16, 2005
  10. >> Hmm, now that I've tried it again it doesn't seem to happen! Maybe it's
    >> only when the application tries to access the CD/DVD drive while the
    >> drive is detecting the newly inserted CD/DVD. I dunno,

    > I think you should. For you have answered your own question yes?

    Actually, no! The freezing just happened now, but it's not when the
    drive is detecting the new DVD like I thought.

    This is what happens. I'm using DVD Shrink to copy a DVD, I put the DVD
    in the drive and click the Open DVD button. It takes a few seconds for
    the drive to detect the DVD. No freezing yet. Once it's detected the
    DVD, I select the appropriate drive and click OK. At this point, when
    DVD Shrink is starting to read the DVD, Windows locks up for a second
    or two. The mouse pointer still moves but I can't do anything - if I
    click in the task bar to switch to another app, nothing happens.

    I'm sure a similar thing happens when I use Nero as well. It's happened
    on every PC I've used Shrink/Nero on, so it's definitely not a problem
    with my current PC. I've just accepted it as normal behaviour, and I
    was just wondering why this is.

    Andrew Gerald, Sep 16, 2005
  11. > > Hmm, now that I've tried it again it doesn't seem to happen! Maybe it's
    > > only when the application tries to access the CD/DVD drive while the
    > > drive is detecting the newly inserted CD/DVD. I dunno,

    > I think you should. For you have answered your own question yes?

    Actually I've found the problem only occurs if I insert a new DVD and
    then I click Open DVD in DVD Shrink before the drive has detected the
    new DVD. And it locks up Windows rather than just DVD Shrink. I can
    move the mouse, but if I try and click on another application in the
    task bar, nothing happens.

    So it is definitely locking up Windows, and it does happen on all PC's
    that I've used DVD Shrink on (and a similar problem happens with Nero
    too).

    Andrew Gerald, Sep 16, 2005
  12. Andrew Gerald

    GraB Guest

    wrote:

    >With all the advances in computer design over the last decade, why does
    >my PC still freeze for a few seconds when I put in a CD or DVD?
    >
    >Is there something instrinsic with motherboard design that makes it
    >impossible for the PC to scan a newly inserted CD/DVD without stopping
    >everything else its doing?

    Mine does that, but only when first inserted. Don't they use
    different lasers for DVD or CDs?

    GraB, Sep 16, 2005
  13. Andrew Gerald

    GraB Guest

    wrote:

    >Okay, next stupid question. I just installed a new CPU and the fan on
    >this is a lot louder than anything I've had before. The new CPU is a P4
    >3.2ghz LGA775. My other recent PC's were a P4 2.8ghz and Athlon64 3000+
    >and neither of them were particularly noisy.
    >
    >Are the fans on more recent P4's louder than usual, or could there be
    >something wrong with mine? Note that it's not a grinding sound or
    >anything like that, it's just louder than I'm used to.

    My bro-in-law's P4 2.8GHz fan sounds like a lawnmower. I installed a
    92mm Zalman 7000alcu-b1 in my PC, that is pretty quiet. There is an
    all-copper version for hotter CPUs, like yours.

    GraB, Sep 16, 2005
  14. Andrew Gerald

    GraB Guest

    On 16 Sep 2005 01:18:59 -0700, "Andrew Gerald" <>
    wrote:

    >> > Hmm, now that I've tried it again it doesn't seem to happen! Maybe it's
    >> > only when the application tries to access the CD/DVD drive while the
    >> > drive is detecting the newly inserted CD/DVD. I dunno,

    >> I think you should. For you have answered your own question yes?

    >Actually I've found the problem only occurs if I insert a new DVD and
    >then I click Open DVD in DVD Shrink before the drive has detected the
    >new DVD. And it locks up Windows rather than just DVD Shrink. I can
    >move the mouse, but if I try and click on another application in the
    >task bar, nothing happens.
    >
    >So it is definitely locking up Windows, and it does happen on all PC's
    >that I've used DVD Shrink on (and a similar problem happens with Nero
    >too).

    I think the DVD needs to be 'opened' first with a DVD player.

    GraB, Sep 16, 2005
  15. In article <>,
    "Andrew Gerald" <> wrote:

    >With all the advances in computer design over the last decade, why does
    >my PC still freeze for a few seconds when I put in a CD or DVD?

    I guess from the other answers to your question, it's clear that the
    computer hardware design may be advanced, but that of the Microsoft
    Dimdows software you're running is not.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 16, 2005
  16. At that very moment, Andrew Gerald turned to nz.comp and said
    > With all the advances in computer design over the last decade, why does
    > my PC still freeze for a few seconds when I put in a CD or DVD?
    >
    > Is there something instrinsic with motherboard design that makes it
    > impossible for the PC to scan a newly inserted CD/DVD without stopping
    > everything else its doing?

    This is a "feature" of Windows that pisses me off. Its still there a
    decade after Win95. All because Windows explorer (shell) is not capable
    of reading an icon from the CD in a background thread.
    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Sep 16, 2005
  17. Andrew Gerald

    Harry Guest

    Andrew Gerald wrote:

    > With all the advances in computer design over the last decade, why does
    > my PC still freeze for a few seconds when I put in a CD or DVD?

    The advances in computer design don't cover the design of humans
    who cannot determine that they have defective hardware and/or software.

    > Is there something instrinsic with motherboard design that makes it
    > impossible for the PC to scan a newly inserted CD/DVD without stopping
    > everything else its doing?

    I think you should take up knitting instead.

    Harry, Sep 16, 2005
  18. T'was the Fri, 16 Sep 2005 23:15:33 +1200 when I remembered Lawrence
    D'Oliveiro <_zealand> saying something like
    this:

    >I guess from the other answers to your question, it's clear that the
    >computer hardware design may be advanced, but that of the Microsoft
    >Dimdows software you're running is not.

    I still have problems with Fedora Core 2 by default automounting CDs.
    Your posts pointing out limitations of Windows, is like these
    pointless posts of mine pointing out limitations of Linux. What's the
    point?
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.