    Thanking you in advance for any help.
    --
    UR2

    UR2, Nov 23, 2007

  2. UR2

    Lem Guest

    UR2 wrote:
    > I have XP Pro installed with SP2. Recently I bought a Maxtor 320GB Shared
    > Storage II Ethernet external drive. I cannot mount the drive because I have
    > an issue with Networking. I have no idea what happened to the files but they
    > are no longer there to complete the installation. The files needed are
    > installed as part of SP1.
    > I have tried to reinstall SP1 but get an error which tells me that I cannot
    > do that. My question is this; Is there either a workaround procedure to
    > reinstall SP1 so that I regain my network files, or must I format my system
    > drive and start all over again?
    > Thanking you in advance for any help.

    Everything in SP1 is included in or superseded by SP2. In any case it
    would be a Bad Idea to dump SP2 and return to SP1.

    Perhaps you should be a bit more descriptive: what is your "issue with
    networking" and what files do you think you need but do not have?

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Nov 23, 2007

  3. UR2

    UR2 Guest

    Thanks Len for your help.
    I cannot find any of the files associated with networking, not even in
    Network Connections in Control Panel. Maxtor went so far as to spend an hour
    online trying to fix the problem while connected to my computer. The guy
    gave up saying I had some unknown, and unsolvable problems with my system.
    Frankly, I have never run into this problem before and I am baffled. Can you
    tell me which module in Win XP installs the networking functions? I.E., is
    it XP, SP1, or SP2?
    The only reason I asked about unistalling SP2 and SP1, is so I could
    reinstall each one of them again, thereby curing the problem, assuming one of
    these modules installs that function.
    I dread doing it, but honestly, I suspect I will wind up fomatting and
    starting over again which is a hugh pain.

    --
    UR2

    UR2, Nov 24, 2007
  4. UR2

    Lem Guest

    UR2 wrote:
    > Thanks Len for your help.
    > I cannot find any of the files associated with networking, not even in
    > Network Connections in Control Panel. Maxtor went so far as to spend an hour
    > online trying to fix the problem while connected to my computer. The guy
    > gave up saying I had some unknown, and unsolvable problems with my system.
    > Frankly, I have never run into this problem before and I am baffled. Can you
    > tell me which module in Win XP installs the networking functions? I.E., is
    > it XP, SP1, or SP2?
    > The only reason I asked about unistalling SP2 and SP1, is so I could
    > reinstall each one of them again, thereby curing the problem, assuming one of
    > these modules installs that function.
    > I dread doing it, but honestly, I suspect I will wind up fomatting and
    > starting over again which is a hugh pain.

    There are no "modules" for XP, SP1, or SP2. And I still do not
    understand what "files associated with networking" that you believe to
    be missing (or why you think any files might be found in "Network
    Connections). It's highly unlikely that you will have to either
    uninstall SP2 or wind up formatting and starting over again.

    What happens when you do the following:

    1. Go to Network Connections. What icons do you see there?

    1a. If you do NOT see an icon named "Local Area Connection" (or
    something similar), open Device Manager (right-click My Computer;
    "Properties"; "Hardware"; Device Manager). Expand the entry for "Network
    adapters" by clicking the +. Are there any yellow exclamation points?
    Is at least one network adapter listed? If so, right-click it and
    select "Properties." Is it "working properly" and "enabled" (at bottom
    of "General" tab)?

    2. If you DO see an icon named "Local Area Connection," right-click on
    it. Is the first entry in the context menu "enable" or "disable"? If
    "enable" appears, then click it. Then click on "Properties." On the
    "General" tab of "Local Area Connection Properties," what do you see in
    the box under the heading "This connection uses the following items"?

    3. On the "General" tab of "Local Area Connection Properties," the list
    for "This connection uses the following items" should include the
    following (and only the following):

    Client for Microsoft Networks
    QoS Packet Scheduler
    File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
    Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

    If there are other entries there, write them down and them "Uninstall"
    them (unless you have some specific reason that you know something else
    should be there). If one or more of the 4 listed entries is not there,
    then click "Install." You should see the "Select Network Component
    Type" box with 3 types of components. Select the appropriate type and
    "Add" the missing element(s). [Client for Microsoft Networks is
    obviously a "client." Similarly, Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) is
    obviously a "protocol." The other two are "services."]

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Nov 24, 2007
  5. Hi
    Do you have a functional network?
    I.e. more than one computer that connect one to the other, or one computer
    that connects to the Internet via broadband and Ethernet.
    What are you trying to plug the Maxtor Storage II to?
    The Maxtor Storage II is a stand alone network device, it should not be
    "Mounted" on any computer.
    If you plug it to a Network switch, what exactly does not work.
    In order to set the Maxtor Storage II you connect to it with the Internet
    Browser like it is a web site.
    The default setting of the Maxtor might not be compatible with you current
    Network Setting (if you have a Network), and need a special process to
    adjust it first.
    If you are Not sure about the health of your Network settings on a specific
    computer this might help.
    http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html
    When posting again try to be specific about actual things that you do, thus
    far you did not provided any functional information that can lead even to
    Guessing.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 24, 2007
  6. UR2

    UR2 Guest

    My answers to your questions are inside your previous message to me below....
    My hope here is that this problem might be repaired without having to format.

    I do not know what, if any, files are missing, and I can find NO files
    (icons) that I believe were previously displayed in Network Connections.
    That is what I meant when I stated "files associated with networking".

    In Device Mgr, and displaying their properties, these are Screen captures of
    the 2 adapters:

    However, in "My network Places", under Network Tasks, if I click 'Show icons
    for networked UPnP devices, and following a pause, I get this message:

    I do not have this CD, and SP2 is installed on my system.

    Again... Len, I truly appreciate your help with this problem.

    I do not know if the medium we're using will allow
    sending these pictures. I could send them to your
    email address if you care to share it. Mine is
    ,
    -Wade

    --
    UR2

    "Lem" wrote:

    > UR2 wrote:
    > > Thanks Len for your help.
    > > I cannot find any of the files associated with networking, not even in
    > > Network Connections in Control Panel. Maxtor went so far as to spend an hour
    > > online trying to fix the problem while connected to my computer. The guy
    > > gave up saying I had some unknown, and unsolvable problems with my system.
    > > Frankly, I have never run into this problem before and I am baffled. Can you
    > > tell me which module in Win XP installs the networking functions? I.E., is
    > > it XP, SP1, or SP2?
    > > The only reason I asked about unistalling SP2 and SP1, is so I could
    > > reinstall each one of them again, thereby curing the problem, assuming one of
    > > these modules installs that function.
    > > I dread doing it, but honestly, I suspect I will wind up fomatting and
    > > starting over again which is a hugh pain.
    > >

    > There are no "modules" for XP, SP1, or SP2. And I still do not
    > understand what "files associated with networking" that you believe to
    > be missing (or why you think any files might be found in "Network
    > Connections). It's highly unlikely that you will have to either
    > uninstall SP2 or wind up formatting and starting over again.
    >
    > What happens when you do the following:
    >
    > 1. Go to Network Connections. What icons do you see there?

    NONE, NO ICONS OF ANY KIND ARE THERE, THE PAGE IS BLANK.

    > 1a. If you do NOT see an icon named "Local Area Connection" (or
    > something similar), open Device Manager (right-click My Computer;
    > "Properties"; "Hardware"; Device Manager). Expand the entry for "Network
    > adapters" by clicking the +. Are there any yellow exclamation points?

    NO, I SEE A 1394 NETWORK ADAPTER, AND A 3COM 3C900B-TPO ETHERNET ADAPTER
    (GENERIC) DISPLAYED.

    > Is at least one network adapter listed? If so, right-click it and
    > select "Properties." Is it "working properly" and "enabled" (at bottom
    > of "General" tab)?

    YES, TO BOTH ADAPTERS.

    > 2. If you DO see an icon named "Local Area Connection," right-click on
    > it. Is the first entry in the context menu "enable" or "disable"? If
    > "enable" appears, then click it. Then click on "Properties." On the
    > "General" tab of "Local Area Connection Properties," what do you see in
    > the box under the heading "This connection uses the following items"?
    >
    > 3. On the "General" tab of "Local Area Connection Properties," the list
    > for "This connection uses the following items" should include the
    > following (and only the following):

    CANNOT FIND OR SEE ANY OF THESE OR THAT PHRASE.

    UR2, Nov 24, 2007
  7. UR2

    Lem Guest

    Please try again, using text instead of screen caps. See Jack's post as
    well.

    In My Network Places, click "View network connections." Just write in
    words what you see. You should at least see a heading named "LAN or
    High-Speed Internet" with an icon under it named "Local Area
    Connection." The name of the icon may be somewhat different, and it may
    have a number after it.

    This example
    (http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/screenshots/Windows_XP/Network_Connections/Index.shtml)
    has several other types of connections shown; the important one for your
    issue now is the "Local Area Connection." If this icon is missing, it
    is NOT because you are missing any "network files," it is because you do
    not have the required hardware for networking or the hardware is
    defective or improperly installed. That issue should be resolved by
    looking in device manager. You indicated that you have 2 network
    adapters: what are their names?

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Nov 25, 2007
  8. UR2

    UR2 Guest

    Lem, These are the adapters I see in Device Mgr. under network adapters:
    1394 Net Adapter Properties
    Dev Type Network Adapter
    Manuf Microsoft
    Locatation On OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Adapter

    Dev Status Working Properly
    Dev Usage Use this device (enabled)
    ________________________________
    3Com 3C9008-TPO Ethernet Adapter (Geneic) Properties
    Dev Type Network Adapter
    Manuf 3Com
    Location PCI Slot 5 (PCI bus 0, device 12, Funtion 0

    Dev Status Working Properly
    Dev Usage Use this device (enabled)
    _________________________________
    My Network Places:
    View Network Connections
    Page is blank

    This is another thing I meant when I said, Files are missing...
    I tried to update the drivers for both, could not.

    -Wade
    --
    UR2

    UR2, Nov 25, 2007
  9. UR2

    UR2 Guest

    Hi Jack,
    No, I have not set up a network as yet, I was trying to do so when I first
    encountered this problem. I was trying to install a Maxtor Shared Storage
    external Ethernet 320GB ethernet I bought online. I have a high speed (7mb)
    modem from Bright House (Tampabay), and a Netgear high speed wireless router.
    The drive is connected to the router. It sometimes flashes, indicating the
    system "sees it" but I cannot mount the drive so that I get a letter listed
    for the device under My Computer. At this time, I cannot access the drive.
    The install instructions told me to stop all anti virus and firewall software
    before installing, which I did. It is the health of this computer's Network
    settings that concern me, since a friend had no problem with it on his system.
    --
    UR2

    UR2, Nov 25, 2007
  10. Hi
    If you can use the Internet with the Modem, the Netgear, and the computer
    you already have are a Network (do not mess it up if you do not want to
    loose you Internet connection).
    The Maxtor can work with the Netgear directly, once set it actually can work
    without any local computer. Since you computer seem to use well the Ethernet
    for Internet surfing it is hard to believe that something is missing from
    Windows Network that causes this trouble.
    When you plug the Maxtor to the Netgear it suppose to join the Network. Once
    it joins the network it appears as an additional Network Device in Windows
    "Network Place", it does not appear as a Drive, to make it useful as a drive
    you need to set its sharing and map in the computer (
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html#map ).
    Your Network has a subnet, (as an example) if the computer's IP is
    192.168.1.1 you basic subnet is 192.168.1.x
    I.e. all of your computers and network devices IP number would start
    192.168.1.x ,and each device would have it own number (replacing the x.
    If the Maxtor (as an example) comes with default IP of 192.168.2.x (notice
    the 3rd number is 2 not 1 as in the example above) it can not fit with your
    network. Read the manual (Not the setup guide) to find what is the default
    IP of the Maxtor, if it is Not the same subnet it need to be changed.
    Alternatively if the Maxtor can be set to Auto Obtain IP it probably can get
    its IP from the Netgear.
    Hopefully the manual explains how to change it manually.
    P.S. If all of the above sound like one big "Mess" to you you are better of
    getting in person professional help.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 25, 2007
  11. UR2

    Lem Guest

    You can ignore the 1394 Net Adapter. That's a so-called FireWire
    connection, and it's used primarily for older iPods and some digital
    cameras. It *can* be used for networking, but not with equipment like
    your Netgear router.

    Although you seem to have some anomalies in your network configuration,
    that may not be what is preventing you from accessing the Maxtor. If I
    understand your setup, your computer is connected either by Ethernet
    cable or wireless (which one?) to the Netgear router and the Maxtor is
    connected by Ethernet cable to the Netgear router.

    If that is correct, and if you can surf the 'net through the router and
    your modem, then your computer's basic network settings are functioning
    -- even if there is no Local Area Connection icon showing in Network
    Connections. Another thing -- even if you can't store files on the
    Maxtor yet, can you get to its configuration utility? When Maxtor tech
    support spent an hour messing with your computer, were they able to
    access its configuration utility? If you can, how do you do so?

    Open a Command Prompt windows (Start > All Programs > Accessories >
    Command Prompt) and type "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) and press
    Enter. Post (in writing) what you see.

    At this point, you may be better off talking Jack's advice and getting a
    good local computer professional come help you (not your local
    equivalent of BigBoxUSA or GeekSquad).

    If you want to try further, however, first confirm that your computer is
    malware-free and (scan with uptodate antivirus and some antispyware apps
    such as Ad-Aware or SpyBot Search & Destroy) then take a look here and
    at the references at the end of the article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825826/en-us

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Nov 25, 2007
  12. UR2

    UR2 Guest

    I would like to thank you and Lem for your help, and will now exit the forum.
    I am sorry that we could not find nor fix the problem I have. I am a
    retired Electrical Engineer, and infrequently, I do run into problems for
    which I cannot find an answer, therefore the reason for seeking help.
    Thanking you both once again.
    -Wade
    --
    UR2