    desktop icons so that users can not rename any ICONS on the desktop. I'm just
    concerned about the renaming part. Please any advice would be great..

    Thanks
    =?Utf-8?B?SmVycnk=?=, Jul 12, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SmVycnk=?=

    TheITGirl Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Does anybody know of a setting or 3rd party software on how to lock down
    > the
    > desktop icons so that users can not rename any ICONS on the desktop. I'm
    > just
    > concerned about the renaming part. Please any advice would be great..
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi Jerry

    My first thought was that you could try renaming the users' NTUSER.DAT files
    to NTUSER.MAN so as to create mandatory profiles. That would prevent users
    making any changes to their desktop though, not just renaming icons. Others
    may have better suggestions.

    HTH

    IT Girl MCDST
    TheITGirl, Jul 13, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SmVycnk=?=

    Steve Ray Guest

    Jerry

    We take that approach the all our users have the same licensed software on
    the same. This allows us to centrally manage the desktops and therefore why
    host the desktops on the PC's

    We use desktop redirection to therefore deliver the desktops. We host the
    desktop and start menu on a local server, that way the entire desktop
    environment is readonly to them

    There are probably more than other ways but we find this quick and useful

    Steve

    Steve Ray, Jul 13, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?SmVycnk=?=

    CBIC Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    > Does anybody know of a setting or 3rd party software on how to lock down
    > the
    > desktop icons so that users can not rename any ICONS on the desktop. I'm
    > just
    > concerned about the renaming part. Please any advice would be great..
    >
    > Thanks

    Do you work in IT?
    CBIC, Jul 13, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?SmVycnk=?=

    djpimpdaddy Guest

    On Jul 12, 4:54 pm, Jerry <> wrote:
    > Does anybody know of a setting or 3rd party software on how to lock down the
    > desktop icons so that users can not rename any ICONS on the desktop. I'm just
    > concerned about the renaming part. Please any advice would be great..
    >
    > Thanks

    Here at my work we had a lot of trouble with similar issues. We have a
    call center that people randomly sit anywhere there is a seat. All of
    the important desktop icons are actually shortcuts that I place in
    Documents and Settings/All Users/Desktop folder. The trick that I did
    was place all of the shortcuts that they need but are to "un-
    educated"(and I mean that in a polite way) to find by browsing the
    network or All Programs list in there. All of the Call center users
    are all in a CallCenter Active Directory group, and consequently are
    in a local security group of Power Users. Then on the actual shortcut,
    go into NTFS security and make sure that the Power Users are granted
    Read Only to the Shortcut. That prohibits them from Deleting,
    renaming, or modifying the icon or name. Just remember that shortcuts
    are your friend. Hide everything else in the All Users/My Docs folder.

    If this is unclear email directly me and I can explain further. When
    our users here are bored, they try to destroy their machines so I know
    how to counter about every evil trick possible. I have taken away
    about every ounce of fun on the Call Center Pcs.
    djpimpdaddy, Jul 13, 2007