    Any help will be very great you all seem pretty knowlegdable about this kind
    of stuff here as i can see from all your detailed answers which is great.

    Robert Mizen

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0IE1pemVu?=, Aug 24, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0IE1pemVu?=

    John Barnes Guest

    > i wana know if its possible to install 64bit over top of win xp pro and
    > not
    > lose the drivers for my hardware, i was thinking of running a partition
    > but
    > that defys the point of wanted to run 64 as main OS,

    You can't do anything but a clean install of x64 and you must have 64-bit
    drivers for anything you want or need to work

    John Barnes, Aug 24, 2006

  3. No. All installations of x64, whether XP or Vista, must be clean
    installations for that very reason. All drivers must be 64bit.

    Colin Barnhorst, Aug 24, 2006
  4. thank you both for your help do you have any advice, the drivers for my
    grpahics card ATI have a 64bit version, and my sound card i will check my
    motherboard drivers and all so the rest of hardware would it benfit me using
    floppy disks for drivers and the samsing combo drive is bit weird i had the
    64 bit drivers on a cd but it wouldnt load them at all, the graphics said
    there was "missing INF file" so the installation went off, im experenced with
    computers but all this new hardware and software im getting used to so all
    the help you give is appreciated alot thank you

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0IE1pemVu?=, Aug 25, 2006
  5. Thank you both, i have 64bit drivers for both my Graphics card and Sound
    card, on a cd but they wouldnot install i tryed the graphics driver did not
    install because it was missing a INF File or something duno what that is, i
    will find drivers for all my hardware...i am experenced with computers, just
    all this new hardware and software is pretty new to me so all your help is
    much apreciated thank you for taking your time to help me and many others,

    this is another quick question..silly but needed, are people actully running
    64bit windows will all there hardware and it is performing at the way it
    should without major fall backs and problems, cos running win xp pro on a 64
    bit system is anoying as hell cos i know how fast it can be lol and its like
    running my old computer...brings back bad memorys lol.

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0IE1pemVu?=, Aug 25, 2006
  6. Robert:
    With x64 drivers are still the biggest headache. I’ve been running x64
    fulltime since rtm and testing it since the CPP releases. X64 isn’t
    necessarily faster for all operations but it’s very stable and smoother. As
    programs are written for the 64-bit operating systems the speed will
    increase because the program will fully utilize the 64-bit architecture.
    Other than the manufacturers sites, http://www.planetamd64.com/ is an
    excellent source for drivers and support. You have to register but it’s
    free.

    Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2, Aug 25, 2006
  7. Thank you so much for that infomation i will sure to check that site as well,
    i just finish a conversation imrunning win xp but i have mac os x tiger to
    ulitise some features, lots of work but it worthit in end, i prefer just
    using the one OS specily 64bit xp cos that worked at speeds i need and
    utilies the power of my hardware i use rendering and development software
    such as 3d studio max and maya, game engines and require fast responce times,

    i understand what ur saying bout the whole software getting enginneered for
    the 64bit arc we have the systems but no operating systems and software to
    realy get the most out of it it be long time before we find our systems
    working overtime

    last question do any of u know when vista is currently set to be relased in UK

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0IE1pemVu?=, Aug 25, 2006
  8. Robert:
    The only information on Vista is OEM release 4Q, 2006 and retail 1Q, 2007,
    I don’t know if that’s for the US or worldwide. I haven’t heard anything
    about language packages but they will probably follow within a few months of
    release. I’ve been testing Vista x64 beta 2 CPP release, the system is
    stable but the driver issue is as bad or worse than when x64 was in CPP
    release stages. The feel is different because it isn’t the same as XP and
    the security in much stronger, but it’s not hard to get used to. I hope that
    you can understand my use of American English because I’ve gotten complaints
    in the past.

    Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2, Aug 25, 2006
  9. after the infomation u gave me m8 u wont get any complaints from me thats for
    sure thank you ever so much dennis you been such a huge help, and i hope
    vista gets all sorted and im sure its great im looking to make a jump to mac
    but better not say to much on microsofts forums ;) see you around freind
    thanks again all of u

    robert

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0IE1pemVu?=, Aug 25, 2006