    all file sizes up to the nearest 1kB). If you respond, please include proof
    or reference.

    js.

    JS, Oct 26, 2003

  2. JS

    JimW± Guest

    ntdetect
    Size in Windows Explorer: 34 KB

    Properties of ntdetect:
    Size: 33.9 KB (34,724 bytes)
    Size on disk: 36.0 KB (36,864 bytes)

    JimW±, Oct 26, 2003

  3. JS

    JS Guest

    hi AT and Jim W±,
    Thanks - that helps, and it answers my next question, which was "How do
    you find out your cluster size?"
    This is very interesting - I have a 10-byte file (8 characters plus
    carriage return/line feed), which shows the following THREE(!) sizes:
    10 bytes (the file's properties in Win Explorer)
    8192 bytes used (the file's properties in Win Explorer)
    1kbytes (size column in Win Explorer)

    So, like you said, Win Explorer shows the actual size, albeit rounded up
    to the nearest 1kB, and it will even tell you the cluster size if you write
    a tiny text file.

    Thanks,
    js.

    "AT" <torgny@@direcway.com> wrote in message
    > This will tell you that the reported size in Windows Explorer is the

    actual
    > size of the file. In the properties of the file you can also see the size

    on
    > disk (or as you call it the occupied size) which will differ depending on
    > what cluster size you are using on your hard disk. This means that the

    size
    > on disk can normally show up to your cluster size (should really be called
    > Allocation Unit) greater then the actual file size. Since I'm using 512B
    > cluster my ntdetect is occupying 34.0 KB (34,816 bytes). The reason for

    Jim

    JS, Oct 26, 2003
  4. JS

    Geoff Guest

    JS wrote:
    > hi AT and Jim W±,
    > Thanks - that helps, and it answers my next question, which was
    > "How do you find out your cluster size?"
    > This is very interesting - I have a 10-byte file (8 characters
    > plus carriage return/line feed), which shows the following THREE(!)
    > sizes: 10 bytes (the file's properties in Win Explorer)
    > 8192 bytes used (the file's properties in Win Explorer)
    > 1kbytes (size column in Win Explorer)
    >
    > So, like you said, Win Explorer shows the actual size, albeit
    > rounded up to the nearest 1kB, and it will even tell you the cluster
    > size if you write a tiny text file.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > js.

    i made a 1byte sized file (1 char in notepad)
    normal explorer view shows 1kb filesize
    properties shows:
    size 1 bytes (1 bytes)
    size on disk : 64.0 KB (65,536 bytes)

    so i'm using 64kb clusters, it's an easy way to find out what cluster size
    you have
    oh by the way, don't use 64kb cluster size, it kinda sux ;)

    Geoff, Oct 26, 2003
  5. JS

    JimW± Guest

    Size on disk (default XP anyway) is always multiple of 4 KB

    JimW±, Oct 27, 2003