    Please let me know.
    Thanks.
    Eddie

    Edward Holub, Aug 11, 2005

  2. Edward Holub

    Alpha Guest

    "Edward Holub" <> wrote in message
    news:rpzKe.1679$...
    > Hey folks,
    > I played my copy of Cabin Boy the other night and it froze in a few
    > places. I've been storing my DVDs flat. Is this bad?
    > Please let me know.
    > Thanks.
    > Eddie

    In the days of laserdisc, it was always said to store them vertically, not
    flat. This makes sense since they were very heavy and would, with varying
    pressure, cause the discs to warp.

    I don't see why, with current packaging, this would happen with DVD,
    however. The discs are light weight and housed in substantial packages
    relative to that weight to protect them.

    Alpha, Aug 11, 2005

  3. Edward Holub

    JayCee Guest

    Edward Holub wrote:
    > Hey folks,
    > I played my copy of Cabin Boy the other night and it froze in a few
    > places. I've been storing my DVDs flat. Is this bad?
    > Please let me know.
    > Thanks.
    > Eddie

    Cabin Boy? Cabin Boy? LOL, you have very poor tastes in movies ....

    JayCee, Aug 11, 2005
  4. Edward Holub

    Alpha Guest

    "JayCee" <> wrote in message
    > Edward Holub wrote:
    >> Hey folks,
    >> I played my copy of Cabin Boy the other night and it froze in a few
    >> places. I've been storing my DVDs flat. Is this bad?
    >> Please let me know.
    >> Thanks.
    >> Eddie
    >>

    > Cabin Boy? Cabin Boy? LOL, you have very poor tastes in movies ....

    Your opinion is worthless in this area.

    Alpha, Aug 11, 2005
  5. Edward Holub

    Zodiac Guest

    Freakin' Fancy Lad !!

    Zodiac, Aug 11, 2005
  6. If it was harmfull to keep DVD's horizontal, then DVD racks would not be
    horizontal, would they ??

    andrew.upton4, Aug 11, 2005
  7. Edward Holub

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 03:15:35 GMT, Edward Holub <> wrote:

    >Hey folks,
    > I played my copy of Cabin Boy the other night and it froze in a few
    >places. I've been storing my DVDs flat. Is this bad?

    It is if you don't store them in the cases or use them as coasters.
    You most likely either have a crap player or crud/scratches on your disk.

    DVD don't rot. Laserdisc rot is from the glue that holds the two sides being
    insufficient and oxygen getting into the information area. DVDs aren't made
    that way.

    AZ Nomad, Aug 11, 2005
  8. Edward Holub

    TB Guest

    "AZ Nomad" wrote:

    > On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 03:15:35 GMT, Edward Holub <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Hey folks,
    >> I played my copy of Cabin Boy the other night and it froze in a few
    >>places. I've been storing my DVDs flat. Is this bad?

    > It is if you don't store them in the cases or use them as coasters.
    > You most likely either have a crap player or crud/scratches on your disk.
    >
    > DVD don't rot. Laserdisc rot is from the glue that holds the two sides
    > being
    > insufficient and oxygen getting into the information area. DVDs aren't
    > made
    > that way.

    Not quite true. DVDs can "rot" if the metal data disc gets contaminated with
    dirt or moisture during the lamination process.

    One dvd example I personal owned around 2000 or so was the original pressing
    of "Kentucky Fried Movie" which played fine when I first bought it and over
    a 6 month period slowly started exhibiting skipping, freeze-ups and
    eventually became unplayable. The disc itself turned a slightly
    copper/metallic grey color on the data side from the outside going in to the
    center by the 6 month mark and other people reported the same thing
    happening with their copies of this title on this newsgroup. In fact, it was
    repressed about a year or so later to address this problem.

    It's rare, much more rare than what happened with laserdiscs but it has
    happened. It has happened with cds as well although again, it is exceedingly
    rare.

    T.B.

    TB, Aug 11, 2005
  9. Kimba W. Lion, Aug 11, 2005
  10. Edward Holub

    Mac Breck Guest

    "andrew.upton4" <> wrote in message
    > If it was harmfull to keep DVD's horizontal, then DVD racks would not

    be
    > horizontal, would they ??

    Doesn't mean anything, one way or the other.

    Do you think the manufacturers of DVD racks care whether or not your
    DVDs rot? Do you think they've done research on the subject of DVD rot
    vs. storage positioning? I very much doubt that DVD rack makers care or
    have done any research on this.

    Also, I wonder how many people use horizontal DVD racks vs. those who
    don't buy racks and just keep them vertically on existing shelves, like
    books, you know, just like they're most often kept in stores. The best
    solution is a bookshelf, with adjustable height shelves (which, BTW, can
    be used for videotapes and/or paperbacks as well.) whose depth is the
    same as the average DVD packaging. It can be floor to ceiling, and
    should be anchored to the wall at the top rear corners (due to its small
    footprint/likelihood to topple). That way, you can store the maximum
    number of DVDs in the smallest possible space and see all the spine
    titles. Just keep the DVDs away from direct sunlight.

    --
    Mac Breck (KoshN)
    -------------------------------

    "Brimstone" (1998)
    [Stone lights a candle for the dead in a Catholic church]
    Gina: Who's that for?
    Ezekiel Stone: Me.

    Mac Breck, Aug 11, 2005
  11. Edward Holub

    Jordan Guest

    Hey, uh, you wanna buy a monkey?

    - Jordan

    Jordan, Aug 11, 2005
  12. AZ Nomad <> wrote:

    > DVD don't rot. Laserdisc rot is from the glue that holds the two sides being
    > insufficient and oxygen getting into the information area. DVDs aren't made
    > that way.

    I would like to show you my Anchor Bay DVD of "Kentucky Fried Movie". I
    don't know if it's something you'd call rot: but it does have wide
    stains and it has rapidly become unreadable by any player.
    --
    UFV:El(DVD)/Cani arrabbiati.avi/Ehrengard(VHS)/L'invenzione di Morel
    (VHS)/36 Quai des Orfévres/La terra dei morti viventi di George A.

    un fake di Alberto, Aug 12, 2005
  13. Edward Holub

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:08:42 -0400, Kimba W Lion <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:23:43 GMT, AZ Nomad <> wrote:

    >>DVD don't rot.

    >http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/2/4/231920/6009

    What a load of horse shit. I've played hundreds of DVDs and never seen a single
    example of rot. Ditto for CDs.

    Do you really buy that crap about up to one in ten rotting?

    Did you know that 87.3% of all statistics are made up? The Syndney Morning
    Herald certainly does.

    AZ Nomad, Aug 12, 2005
  14. Edward Holub

    Billy Joe Guest

    > AZ Nomad <> wrote:
    >
    >> DVD don't rot. Laserdisc rot is from the glue that holds
    >> the two sides being insufficient and oxygen getting into the
    >> information area. DVDs aren't made that way.

    > I would like to show you my Anchor Bay DVD of "Kentucky Fried
    > Movie". I don't know if it's something you'd call rot: but it
    > does have wide stains and it has rapidly become unreadable by
    > any player.

    I think you're addressing delamination. I see a measurable amount of that
    while "repairing" DVDs & CDs for the local library. Most often, the vendor
    will make good on these - but we are a library ;-0)

    BJ

    Billy Joe, Aug 12, 2005
  15. Edward Holub

    Alpha Guest

    > Did you know that 87.3% of all statistics are made up? The Syndney
    > Morning
    > Herald certainly does.

    It sure does. I am a yank but I read the online version of the SMH
    regularly for laughs.

    Alpha, Aug 12, 2005
  16. TB <> wrote:

    > One dvd example I personal owned around 2000 or so was the original pressing
    > of "Kentucky Fried Movie" which played fine when I first bought it and over
    > a 6 month period slowly started exhibiting skipping, freeze-ups and
    > eventually became unplayable. The disc itself turned a slightly
    > copper/metallic grey color on the data side from the outside going in to the
    > center by the 6 month mark and other people reported the same thing
    > happening with their copies of this title on this newsgroup. In fact, it was
    > repressed about a year or so later to address this problem.

    Uh, I posted a similar message after you. What did you do? Were you able
    to have it substituted and how?
    --
    UFV:Ensayo de un crimen(DVA)/El(DVD)/Cani arrabbiati.avi
    Ehrengard(VHS)/L'invenzione di Morel(VHS)/36 Quai des Orfévres

    un fake di Alberto, Aug 12, 2005
  17. Edward Holub

    TB Guest

    "un fake di Alberto"wrote:

    >> One dvd example I personal owned around 2000 or so was the original
    >> pressing
    >> of "Kentucky Fried Movie" which played fine when I first bought it and
    >> over
    >> a 6 month period slowly started exhibiting skipping, freeze-ups and
    >> eventually became unplayable. The disc itself turned a slightly
    >> copper/metallic grey color on the data side from the outside going in to
    >> the
    >> center by the 6 month mark and other people reported the same thing
    >> happening with their copies of this title on this newsgroup. In fact, it
    >> was
    >> repressed about a year or so later to address this problem.

    > Uh, I posted a similar message after you. What did you do? Were you able
    > to have it substituted and how?

    I wound up simply buying it again as it was only about 10 bucks.

    T.B.

    TB, Aug 12, 2005
  18. Edward Holub wrote:
    > Hey folks,
    > I played my copy of Cabin Boy the other night and it froze in a few
    > places. I've been storing my DVDs flat. Is this bad?
    > Please let me know.
    > Thanks.
    > Eddie

    No, it was just your DVD player protesting. Try some better DVDs and it
    will play again.

    John

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Aug 12, 2005
  19. AZ Nomad wrote:

    > DVD don't rot. Laserdisc rot is from the glue that holds the two sides being
    > insufficient and oxygen getting into the information area. DVDs aren't made
    > that way.

    Actually, I would venture that DVDs haven't been around long enough yet
    for us to know if they rot. There may be some slow chemical
    decomposition going on that will not manifest itself for 30 or 40 years.

    John

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Aug 12, 2005
  20. Edward Holub

    Alpha Guest

    "The Man Behind The Curtain" <> wrote in message
    > AZ Nomad wrote:
    >
    >> DVD don't rot. Laserdisc rot is from the glue that holds the two sides
    >> being
    >> insufficient and oxygen getting into the information area. DVDs aren't
    >> made
    >> that way.

    > Actually, I would venture that DVDs haven't been around long enough yet
    > for us to know if they rot. There may be some slow chemical decomposition
    > going on that will not manifest itself for 30 or 40 years.
    >

    > John
    >
    > --
    >

    > Von Herzen, moge es wieder zu Herzen gehen. --Beethoven

    There will be no DVDs in 30 or 40 years, except for museum pieces.

    Alpha, Aug 13, 2005