    For example "ER" they have been on televison for 13 seasons, but you can
    only get season 5 in the USA and season 6 in Europe. Why don't the powers
    to be realease all seasons up to their current?

    Jim Waggener, Sep 5, 2006

  2. Jim Waggener

    Justin Guest

    Jim Waggener wrote on [Tue, 5 Sep 2006 18:55:24 -0400]:
    > For example "ER" they have been on televison for 13 seasons, but you can
    > only get season 5 in the USA and season 6 in Europe. Why don't the powers
    > to be realease all seasons up to their current?

    Looks like in the US ER is on a 6 month release schedule.

    It takes time to master to DVD, people can't afford the whole series at
    once, there's not enough shelf space for ever season of every TV show to
    be shown at once, all sorts of reasons.

    Patience, it's a virtue.

    Current shows, like LOST, have a 12 month release cycle.

    Justin, Sep 6, 2006

  3. Jim Waggener

    Bob Guest

    On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 18:55:24 -0400, "Jim Waggener" <>
    wrote:

    >For example "ER" they have been on televison for 13 seasons, but you can
    >only get season 5 in the USA and season 6 in Europe. Why don't the powers
    >to be realease all seasons up to their current?

    I believe it has to do with syndication.

    --

    "There is no distinctly native American criminal class save Congress."
    --Mark Twain

    Bob, Sep 6, 2006
  4. Jim Waggener

    Guest

    Jim Waggener wrote:
    > For example "ER" they have been on televison for 13 seasons, but you can
    > only get season 5 in the USA and season 6 in Europe. Why don't the powers
    > to be realease all seasons up to their current?

    I would say the main reason is that, premiering in 1993, it preceded
    the DVD era by 4 years and the "whole seasons of TV shows on DVD" era
    by even longer. It was also a show that used a fair amount of popular
    music, so there were probably clearance issues there. Justin has a
    point about springing a lot of seasons on people all at once too.

    10 years ago you were lucky if a few key episodes of a show you liked
    were available on VHS or maybe Laserdisc. We're living in the land of
    plenty today. Contracts are written with DVD release in mind, and
    studios have an incentive to release previous seasons right before new
    seasons air as a promotional tool, and if the series is cancelled a
    quick DVD release while it's still in people's minds is a good way to
    recoup costs.

    I for one believe this is the golden age of TV, what with all the cable
    channels doing original series and the networks improving quality to
    compete.

    -beaumon

    , Sep 7, 2006
  5. Jim Waggener

    Justin Guest

    wrote on [6 Sep 2006 16:00:28 -0700]:

    > Jim Waggener wrote:
    >> For example "ER" they have been on televison for 13 seasons, but you can
    >> only get season 5 in the USA and season 6 in Europe. Why don't the powers
    >> to be realease all seasons up to their current?

    > I would say the main reason is that, premiering in 1993, it preceded
    > the DVD era by 4 years and the "whole seasons of TV shows on DVD" era
    > by even longer. It was also a show that used a fair amount of popular
    > music, so there were probably clearance issues there. Justin has a
    > point about springing a lot of seasons on people all at once too.

    Another possibility, they can't afford to release all the seasons at
    once.

    Justin, Sep 7, 2006
  6. Jim Waggener

    jayembee Guest

    Justin <> wrote:

    > Another possibility, they can't afford to release all the seasons
    > at once.

    And another: The authoring houses, mastering studios, and the pressing
    plants couldn't keep up the pace. It's not like TV shows are the only
    things that the studios have to release on DVD. All of the major labels
    also have large film libraries.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Sep 7, 2006
  7. Jim Waggener

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 02:50:00 GMT, jayembee
    <> wrote:

    >And another: The authoring houses, mastering studios, and the pressing
    >plants couldn't keep up the pace. It's not like TV shows are the only
    >things that the studios have to release on DVD. All of the major labels
    >also have large film libraries.

    Send the work overseas. There are a million Indians waiting to serve.

    Bob, Sep 7, 2006