Question: What's a "Video CD"?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by G. M. Watson, Jul 23, 2004.

  1. G. M. Watson

    G. M. Watson Guest

    Came across something odd in a secondhand store the other day; a stash of
    something called "Video CDs". They were produced by the "Mei Ah Laser Disc
    Co. Ltd." of Hong Kong (and apparently were licensed for sale only in HK).
    They resemble, and are packaged similarly to, audio CDs.The other company
    name on the disc refers to a company known as "China 10K.com" (they do have
    a Web site, which isn't much help, but I gather they distribute various
    forms of digital mutimedia product). The discs in question were some
    obscure, trashy-looking Japanese films, the exception being a copy of "The
    Ambitious", a relatively unknown 1970 Toho film with Toshiro Mifune and
    Tatsuya Nakadai (it's not supposed to be much good). It was only a couple of
    bucks, so I bought it out of curiosity more than anything else. There is no
    reference in the packaging to any playback system I'm familiar with-- the
    (limited) English-language labeling merely refers to the item as a "Video
    Compact Disc/Compact Disc Digital Video".

    I have several questions: What exactly are these things? What kind of player
    might work with them? My computer's CD-ROM drive is on the fritz, so I
    haven't tried to play it in that. I very much doubt that it would work in an
    R1 player or in a LD player (haven't tried). Are they meant to be played on
    computers? Might they work in a multi-region DVD player? If not, then what?
    Is this an older item,or are they still being produced? Can anyone answer
    any of these questions? I really am curious.

    G. M. Watson, Jul 23, 2004

  2. G. M. Watson

    BOHICA Guest

    "G. M. Watson" <> wrote in message

    >>> STUFF SNIPPED <<<

    > I have several questions: What exactly are these things? What kind of

    player
    > might work with them? My computer's CD-ROM drive is on the fritz, so I
    > haven't tried to play it in that. I very much doubt that it would work in

    an
    > R1 player or in a LD player (haven't tried). Are they meant to be played

    on
    > computers? Might they work in a multi-region DVD player? If not, then

    what?
    > Is this an older item,or are they still being produced? Can anyone answer
    > any of these questions? I really am curious.

    Copied From - http://www.videohelp.com/vcd
    (not sure if the embedded clickable links will work or not)

    VCD stands for 'Video Compact Disc' and basically it is a CD that contains
    moving pictures and sound. If you're familiar with regular audio/music CDs,
    then you will know what a VCD looks like. A VCD has the capacity to hold up
    to 74/80 minutes on 650MB/700MB CDs respectively of full-motion video along
    with quality stereo sound. VCDs use a compression standard called MPEG to
    store the video and audio. A VCD can be played on almost all standalone DVD
    Players and of course on all computers with a DVD-ROM or CD-ROM drive with
    the help of a software based decoder / player. It is also possible to use
    menus and chapters, similiar to DVDs, on a VCD and also simple photo
    album/slide shows with background audio. The quality of a very good VCD is
    about the same as a VHS tape based movie but VCD is usually a bit more
    blurry. If you want better quality checkout SVCD,CVD or DVD.

    A VCD can be played on

    - Standalone VCD Players(very common in ASiA), check here for a
    compatibility list.
    - Almost all standalone DVD Players, check here for compability list
    - Playstations with VCD-addon (Playstation 2 does NOT support VCDs, read our
    DVD Players list for more info)
    - Sega Saturn with VCD-addon
    - Dreamcast with VCD-addon
    - And of course on all computers with a CD-ROMs/DVD-ROMs with a software
    VCD/MPG Player.

    BOHICA, Jul 23, 2004

  3. G. M. Watson

    BOHICA Guest

    "BOHICA" <> wrote in message

    > "G. M. Watson" <> wrote in message

    > > I have several questions: What exactly are these things? What kind of

    > player
    > > might work with them? My computer's CD-ROM drive is on the fritz, so I
    > > haven't tried to play it in that. I very much doubt that it would work

    in
    > an
    > > R1 player or in a LD player (haven't tried). Are they meant to be played

    > on
    > > computers? Might they work in a multi-region DVD player? If not, then

    > what?
    > > Is this an older item,or are they still being produced? Can anyone

    answer
    > > any of these questions? I really am curious.

    > Copied From - http://www.videohelp.com/vcd
    > (not sure if the embedded clickable links will work or not)
    >
    > VCD stands for 'Video Compact Disc' and basically it is a CD that contains
    > moving pictures and sound. If you're familiar with regular audio/music

    CDs,
    > then you will know what a VCD looks like. A VCD has the capacity to hold

    up
    > to 74/80 minutes on 650MB/700MB CDs respectively of full-motion video

    along
    > with quality stereo sound. VCDs use a compression standard called MPEG to
    > store the video and audio. A VCD can be played on almost all standalone

    DVD
    > Players and of course on all computers with a DVD-ROM or CD-ROM drive with
    > the help of a software based decoder / player. It is also possible to use
    > menus and chapters, similiar to DVDs, on a VCD and also simple photo
    > album/slide shows with background audio. The quality of a very good VCD is
    > about the same as a VHS tape based movie but VCD is usually a bit more
    > blurry. If you want better quality checkout SVCD,CVD or DVD.
    >
    > A VCD can be played on
    >
    > - Standalone VCD Players(very common in ASiA), check here for a
    > compatibility list.
    > - Almost all standalone DVD Players, check here for compability list
    > - Playstations with VCD-addon (Playstation 2 does NOT support VCDs, read

    our
    > DVD Players list for more info)
    > - Sega Saturn with VCD-addon
    > - Dreamcast with VCD-addon
    > - And of course on all computers with a CD-ROMs/DVD-ROMs with a software
    > VCD/MPG Player.

    Looks like the original embedded links were stripped when sending. Just as
    well, I'd probably get flamed for sending them in the first place. :)

    BOHICA, Jul 23, 2004
  4. G. M. Watson

    Biz Guest

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=vcd

    Biz, Jul 23, 2004
  5. Additional information:

    VCD should not be confused with CDV.

    VCD is a video Compact Disc containing about 70 minutes worth of MPEG video,
    playable on VCD players and DVD players bearing the "Compact Disc" logo with
    the "Digital Video" byline.

    CDV is a format that contains two sessions, with the first one containing
    standard redbook audio playable on all CD players and the second session
    containing over 5 minutes of LaserVision spec video playable only on compatible
    CD/LaserDisc combi-players. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jul 23, 2004