Question To Ponder

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 29, 2009.

  1. In a well-balanced system, should there be two orders of magnitude in the
    ratio between RAM and hard drive space, or only one?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 29, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In a well-balanced system, should there be two orders of magnitude in the
    > ratio between RAM and hard drive space, or only one?

    I have 3 orders on my machines here mainly now, so whats that make it ;)
    Richard, May 29, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    AD. Guest

    On May 29, 10:20 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In a well-balanced system, should there be two orders of magnitude in the
    > ratio between RAM and hard drive space, or only one?

    That depends on the disks - 3.5" drives use up more space than 2.5"
    disks. Also you need to consider how close they are to the centre of
    gravity. Also, if you use ECC memory you need to take account of the
    weight of the extra bits too even though they don't take up much extra
    space.

    I recommend the Monster Cables system balancers from Harvey Normans.
    They are carefully designed weights, that also channel interference
    away from your components boosting performance. For desktops you can
    get magnetic ones that stick to the inside of your case and for
    laptops they make peel and stick ones you can attach to the underside.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., May 29, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    vitw wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 May 2009 14:54:58 -0700, AD. wrote:
    >
    >> I recommend the Monster Cables system balancers from Harvey Normans.
    >> They are carefully designed weights, that also channel interference away
    >> from your components boosting performance. For desktops you can get
    >> magnetic ones that stick to the inside of your case and for laptops they
    >> make peel and stick ones you can attach to the underside.

    > A friend of mine has a set of Monster System Balancer cables on his
    > desktop. Bought them from Harvey Norman on special for only $495 for the
    > set. Quite a noticeable improvement in picture quality when he plays
    > videos on the box.

    He could probably have bought similar from Dick Smith's without the huge
    price tag. Even the cheapest HD cables make a huge difference.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 30, 2009
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Matty F Guest

    On May 30, 1:46 am, Richard <> wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > > In a well-balanced system, should there be two orders of magnitude in the
    > > ratio between RAM and hard drive space, or only one?

    > I have 3 orders on my machines here mainly now, so whats that make it ;)

    This machine here has 256 megs of RAM and an 8 gig hard drive.
    Should I reduce the RAM to 80 megs to make it well balanced? :)
    Matty F, May 30, 2009