    I hope I am wrong about my theory, but if my theory is correct, it would
    greatly reduce the amount of movies I can get in one month.
    Thanks.
    Don B, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Don B

    kay Guest

    "Don B" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns94795BF41219ADonspamdiesherecom@216.196.105.130...
    > A while back I had a post about the turnaround speed of Netflix. Many said
    > they thought they were fast. My question to them is, how long do you
    > usually keep the DVD's they send you? I ALWAYS send them back the next

    day.
    > My theory is that they deliberately slow the process to people like me

    that
    > send movies back too quickly. My movies are returned to Chicago which
    > according to the post office has a 1-2 day delivery time from where I
    > live. ALL of my returns take 5-6 days for them to acknowledge. As for the
    > movies I receive, over 50% arrive 1-2 days after their estimated arrival
    > time. I have rented enough movies to eliminate the chance of flukes.
    > I hope I am wrong about my theory, but if my theory is correct, it would
    > greatly reduce the amount of movies I can get in one month.
    > Thanks.

    I think because the distribution center isn't right next to you the time
    will always fluctuate (spelling). You can always have your wfie or whomever
    sign up for a free trial and see how fast that delivery time compared to
    your already opened account.

    I have netflix and walmart Dvd and walmart is slow.
    kay, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Don B

    Moviezzz Guest

    If the delay is in the shipping time, it is the post office's fault. If
    Netflix says it will arrive on Thursday and it arrives on Friday, that is the
    post office. Netflix is usually very good about that. If they are holding a
    disc for a day, they will show that in the shipping time.

    Often, I will return 3 or more on the same day (I'm on the 5 at a time plan)
    and if I check during the day the are received, 3 will say "Shipping Today" and
    the other two will say "Shipping Tomorrow". They do sometimes hold them that
    way for frequent renters.

    It isn't a problem for me as I'm normally only able to watch them on weekends
    and get them in enough time to watch then.

    Netflix does have great customer service. I once emailed them a question on a
    Sunday afternoon and got a personal response within an hour. Let them know
    about it.
    Moviezzz, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Don B

    JWB Guest

    "Don B" <> wrote in message
    > A while back I had a post about the turnaround speed of Netflix. Many said
    > they thought they were fast. My question to them is, how long do you
    > usually keep the DVD's they send you? I ALWAYS send them back the next

    day.
    > My theory is that they deliberately slow the process to people like me

    that
    > send movies back too quickly. My movies are returned to Chicago which
    > according to the post office has a 1-2 day delivery time from where I
    > live. ALL of my returns take 5-6 days for them to acknowledge. As for the
    > movies I receive, over 50% arrive 1-2 days after their estimated arrival
    > time. I have rented enough movies to eliminate the chance of flukes.
    > I hope I am wrong about my theory, but if my theory is correct, it would
    > greatly reduce the amount of movies I can get in one month.
    > Thanks.

    well, I've posted a few times regarding Netflix and turnaround time. I'm one
    of those that believe they do try to slow down a percentage of "fast
    renters". Obviously, they don't do it to everyone, because someone will post
    here and say they rent 25 movies a month and we're all nuts. But I've seen
    too many posts about this to just discount it.

    I used to turn them around in a day, and I noticed a slowdown at check-in.
    However, due to decreased free time, I have slowed myself down in watching
    movies, and I have found that overall, Netflix has again speeded up. I now
    keep most movies 3-5 days.

    Overall, I'm happy to have Netflix, even though they got me angry in the
    past when they lost discs. I find it very convenient and reasonably priced.

    JWB
    JWB, Jan 23, 2004
  5. Don B

    Don B Guest

    "JWB" <> wrote in

    > "Don B" <> wrote in message
    >> A while back I had a post about the turnaround speed of Netflix. Many
    >> said they thought they were fast. My question to them is, how long do
    >> you usually keep the DVD's they send you? I ALWAYS send them back the
    >> next

    > day.
    >> My theory is that they deliberately slow the process to people like
    >> me

    > that
    >> send movies back too quickly. My movies are returned to Chicago which
    >> according to the post office has a 1-2 day delivery time from where
    >> I live. ALL of my returns take 5-6 days for them to acknowledge. As
    >> for the movies I receive, over 50% arrive 1-2 days after their
    >> estimated arrival time. I have rented enough movies to eliminate the
    >> chance of flukes. I hope I am wrong about my theory, but if my theory
    >> is correct, it would greatly reduce the amount of movies I can get in
    >> one month. Thanks.

    > well, I've posted a few times regarding Netflix and turnaround time.
    > I'm one of those that believe they do try to slow down a percentage of
    > "fast renters". Obviously, they don't do it to everyone, because
    > someone will post here and say they rent 25 movies a month and we're
    > all nuts. But I've seen too many posts about this to just discount it.
    >
    > I used to turn them around in a day, and I noticed a slowdown at
    > check-in. However, due to decreased free time, I have slowed myself
    > down in watching movies, and I have found that overall, Netflix has
    > again speeded up. I now keep most movies 3-5 days.
    >
    > Overall, I'm happy to have Netflix, even though they got me angry in
    > the past when they lost discs. I find it very convenient and
    > reasonably priced.
    >
    > JWB

    Yes, I am convinced they slow down 'fast returners'. They have an
    unmatached selection which makes me wante to keep the service, but I
    wish they would just tell people that they have a per/month limit that
    they are going to hold you to....one way or another.
    Don B, Jan 23, 2004
  6. In article <Xns94798F354DCC2Donspamdiesherecom@216.196.105.130>,
    Don B <> wrote:

    > Yes, I am convinced they slow down 'fast returners'.

    And I convinced they don't or they would've kicked my ass a long time
    ago. Recent stats on my "4-at-a-time" Plan:

    Dec. - 20 discs
    Nov. - 17 discs
    Oct. - 16 discs

    And at the moment my January total is currently 11. I've been a
    subscriber since 1999 and have never had any fluctuations.
    Reginald Dwight, Jan 23, 2004
  7. Don B

    Pug Fugley Guest

    I always send them back the next day also. If I return them on Monday, I
    will have more on Friday or Saturday, that's as fast as you can get. It's
    been that way for the entire 3 months I've been a member.

    Pug Fugley, Jan 23, 2004
  8. Reginald Dwight wrote:

    >>Yes, I am convinced they slow down 'fast returners'.

    > And I convinced they don't or they would've kicked my ass a long time
    > ago. Recent stats on my "4-at-a-time" Plan:
    >
    > Dec. - 20 discs
    > Nov. - 17 discs
    > Oct. - 16 discs
    >
    > And at the moment my January total is currently 11. I've been a
    > subscriber since 1999 and have never had any fluctuations.

    Actually, they do discriminate, as stated policy--
    But essentially just means that if your top title is "Short Wait", those
    on the lower tiers gets first dibs.

    (And given that my own queue is currently at 99 and I haven't seen one
    single "Very Long Wait" since November, that happens less and less these
    days.)

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jan 24, 2004
  9. Don B

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Don B" <> wrote in message
    > My theory is that they deliberately slow the process to people like me
    > that send movies back too quickly... My movies are returned to Chicago
    > which according to the post office has a 1-2 day delivery time
    > from where I live. ALL of my returns take 5-6 days for them to
    > acknowledge. As for the movies I receive, over 50% arrive 1-2 days
    > after their estimated arrival time. My movies are returned to Chicago
    > which according to the post office has a 1-2 day delivery time from
    > where I live. ALL of my returns take 5-6 days for them to acknowledge.
    > As for the movies I receive, over 50% arrive 1-2 days after their
    > estimated arrival time.

    You are half right. Netflix does not deliberately slow down your return
    rate, so you will get a continual supply of DVDs. However, Netflix does
    allocate titles which are scarce to those who rent the fewest disks.
    Your Chicago snail mail experience leaves me bewildered. I think that
    the problem is with the post office and not Netflix.

    For the most part, your Netflix suspicions are correct:

    "When the number of customers who have a movie at the top of their queue
    is greater than the number of copies available, Netflix must decide
    which customers to allocate the available copies to."

    "Put it another way, if customer X and Y are both in the 5 disc out plan
    and X rented 14 discs vs. Y's 11 discs in the previous month, Y would
    have priority over X when they are both competing for the same movie. A
    side effect of this is that trial and new customers will have far fewer
    problems getting movies, especially new releases, versus the majority of
    established customers. Essentially these new and low cost customers can
    "cut in line" ahead of other customers."

    http://dvd-rent-test.dreamhost.com/
    Scot Gardner, Jan 24, 2004
  10. I live in rural america far, far from the big city. We have NO TV reception
    and NO access to cable TV. I've been a Netflix customer for nigh on to a
    year now. I subscribe to the 8 out plan. I ALWAYS receive 32 or 40 films per
    month. Never fewer than 32 and never more than 40. This makes Netflix MUCH
    cheaper than Blockbuster and I don't have to drive 70 miles (35 each way) to
    rent/return the DVDs. I currently have 319 movies in my queue. I do have an
    occasional problem with broken or otherwise unplayable disks, but Netflix is
    very good about shipping a replacement immediately. I have nothing but
    praise for Netflix.

    Colon Terminus, Jan 24, 2004
  11. Don B

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Colon Terminus" <> wrote in message

    <<I subscribe to the 8 out plan. I ALWAYS receive 32 or 40 films per
    month. Never fewer than 32 and never more than 40... I have nothing but
    praise for Netflix.>>

    Obviously, the $40 per month that you are paying Netflix does not cover
    their costs and they are losing money on you.

    Typical video stores offer only top-40 action junk and lowbrow comedy
    titles (with many widescreen titles available only in a "fullscreen"
    format) and a lousy selection of catalog titles. On the other hand,
    Netflix allows you to rent most new releases, including action junk and
    lowbrow comedies. Netflix also gives you access to thousands of obscure
    titles and many of these obscure titles are out of print. Plus, Netflix
    invariably rents only widescreen versions when dual-format titles are
    produced.

    The best thing that you can do to show your appreciation for Netflix is
    to continue advertising for them, as you have done here. Then, encourage
    others to sign up for Netflix service.
    Scot Gardner, Jan 24, 2004
  12. Don B

    Dave Navarro Guest

    In article <Xns94795BF41219ADonspamdiesherecom@216.196.105.130>,
    says...
    > A while back I had a post about the turnaround speed of Netflix. Many said
    > they thought they were fast. My question to them is, how long do you
    > usually keep the DVD's they send you? I ALWAYS send them back the next day.
    > My theory is that they deliberately slow the process to people like me that
    > send movies back too quickly. My movies are returned to Chicago which
    > according to the post office has a 1-2 day delivery time from where I
    > live. ALL of my returns take 5-6 days for them to acknowledge. As for the
    > movies I receive, over 50% arrive 1-2 days after their estimated arrival
    > time. I have rented enough movies to eliminate the chance of flukes.
    > I hope I am wrong about my theory, but if my theory is correct, it would
    > greatly reduce the amount of movies I can get in one month.

    When I had more time and returned movies the next day, I had the same
    problem. I don't have as much time as I used to, so I generally keep
    movies 2 to 5 days now.

    I almost never watch an entire movie, I just use Netflix to evaluate
    what's worth actually buying.

    I friend of mine usually gets his movies on Thursday/Friday. He watches
    them over the weekend and sends them back on Monday. His next set is
    always there before the next weekend.

    He lives in Miami and his local mail drop is Ft Lauderdale.

    --Dave
    Dave Navarro, Feb 2, 2004
  13. Don B

    Shadowspawn Guest

    On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 06:34:16 -0500, Dave Navarro <>
    wrote:

    >In article <Xns94795BF41219ADonspamdiesherecom@216.196.105.130>,
    > says...
    >> A while back I had a post about the turnaround speed of Netflix. Many said
    >> they thought they were fast. My question to them is, how long do you
    >> usually keep the DVD's they send you? I ALWAYS send them back the next day.
    >> My theory is that they deliberately slow the process to people like me that
    >> send movies back too quickly. My movies are returned to Chicago which
    >> according to the post office has a 1-2 day delivery time from where I
    >> live. ALL of my returns take 5-6 days for them to acknowledge. As for the
    >> movies I receive, over 50% arrive 1-2 days after their estimated arrival
    >> time. I have rented enough movies to eliminate the chance of flukes.
    >> I hope I am wrong about my theory, but if my theory is correct, it would
    >> greatly reduce the amount of movies I can get in one month.

    >When I had more time and returned movies the next day, I had the same
    >problem. I don't have as much time as I used to, so I generally keep
    >movies 2 to 5 days now.
    >
    >I almost never watch an entire movie, I just use Netflix to evaluate
    >what's worth actually buying.
    >
    >I friend of mine usually gets his movies on Thursday/Friday. He watches
    >them over the weekend and sends them back on Monday. His next set is
    >always there before the next weekend.
    >
    >He lives in Miami and his local mail drop is Ft Lauderdale.
    >
    >--Dave

    Walmart is going to start their own netflix style business in a month
    or so. You might get faster mailings since they are mailed out from
    dist centers that are all over the country. Mine is 45miles away so I
    will get next-day turnaround.
    Shadowspawn, Feb 2, 2004
  14. Don B

    Dave Navarro Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Walmart is going to start their own netflix style business in a month
    > or so. You might get faster mailings since they are mailed out from
    > dist centers that are all over the country. Mine is 45miles away so I
    > will get next-day turnaround.

    According to TechTV they will actually have fewer dist centers than
    Netflix to start with (but are expected to have more within a couple of
    years) and initially their selection will be considerably less. Made up
    of 90% new releases.

    Personally I get a lot of the "old stuff" from Netflix.

    --Dave
    Dave Navarro, Feb 3, 2004
  15. Don B

    Nuhl Guest

    On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 12:29:05 GMT, Shadowspawn <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 06:34:16 -0500, Dave Navarro <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In article <Xns94795BF41219ADonspamdiesherecom@216.196.105.130>,
    >> says...
    >>> A while back I had a post about the turnaround speed of Netflix. Many said
    >>> they thought they were fast. My question to them is, how long do you
    >>> usually keep the DVD's they send you? I ALWAYS send them back the next day.
    >>> My theory is that they deliberately slow the process to people like me that
    >>> send movies back too quickly. My movies are returned to Chicago which
    >>> according to the post office has a 1-2 day delivery time from where I
    >>> live. ALL of my returns take 5-6 days for them to acknowledge. As for the
    >>> movies I receive, over 50% arrive 1-2 days after their estimated arrival
    >>> time. I have rented enough movies to eliminate the chance of flukes.
    >>> I hope I am wrong about my theory, but if my theory is correct, it would
    >>> greatly reduce the amount of movies I can get in one month.

    >>When I had more time and returned movies the next day, I had the same
    >>problem. I don't have as much time as I used to, so I generally keep
    >>movies 2 to 5 days now.
    >>
    >>I almost never watch an entire movie, I just use Netflix to evaluate
    >>what's worth actually buying.
    >>
    >>I friend of mine usually gets his movies on Thursday/Friday. He watches
    >>them over the weekend and sends them back on Monday. His next set is
    >>always there before the next weekend.
    >>
    >>He lives in Miami and his local mail drop is Ft Lauderdale.
    >>
    >>--Dave

    >Walmart is going to start their own netflix style business in a month
    >or so. You might get faster mailings since they are mailed out from
    >dist centers that are all over the country. Mine is 45miles away so I
    >will get next-day turnaround.

    Huh? Wal-Mart has already been doing this for quite some time now,
    and they SUCK big-time compared to Netflix. Takes a week or more
    EACH WAY for shipping to and from Chicago.
    Nuhl, Feb 5, 2004
  16. Don B

    TomC Guest

    I think Netflix has just slowed down in general and I don't think it
    is aimed at the heavy users. I'm embarassed to say that I kept one
    movie a year before I finally got around to watching it, and I rotated
    my other 3 titles. I live in the Chicago area so I am sending within
    a 15 mile area of the distribution center. If I mail on Friday, they
    don't usually say they got it until Tuesday afternoon and then I'll be
    lucky to see the return DVD by Friday. If I mailed a letter that way
    to an individual I would probably have the return on Tuesday or
    Wednesday at the latest.

    I think they are probably understaffed to give lightening fast
    service. I think the employees process as fast as they can, but they
    probably cap the number of people working at each center and this is
    the reason for the slow down.

    I am a veteran customer for about 4 years, and back when I had to send
    from Chicago to California my turnaround time was the same or a day
    longer than now sending within the Chicago area. This is not the post
    office, they just need more people. I think the DVD's are sitting
    there with not enough people to open them.
    TomC, Feb 6, 2004
  17. Don B

    Becky Guest

    Don B <> wrote in message news:<Xns94795BF41219ADonspamdiesherecom@216.196.105.130>...
    > A while back I had a post about the turnaround speed of Netflix. Many said
    > they thought they were fast. My question to them is, how long do you
    > usually keep the DVD's they send you?

    I am on the 5-out plan, and I've viewed 20 movies in the 28 days since
    I signed up. I usually keep my movies for 2-3 days. I usually receive
    my next movie within two days of dropping one in the mail. I dread the
    day when I'm no longer a new user, if indeed things slow down for
    heavy users.
    Becky, Feb 9, 2004
  18. Don B

    Lensman3 Guest

    I live in CT, with shipping from Stamford.
    I get about a 2 business day turnaround,
    usually beats the Netflix shipping prediction
    getting to my PO.
    I am very satisfied.
    I have to go now to get a few things done
    that involve neither DVDs nor computers:
    dishes, cleaning up some stuff...

    Lensman3, Feb 17, 2004