    1,088
    After talking to some of the members here, it appears that you'd all like to know a little more about the plans for the site and myself - so I've made a sticky for anyone to ask questions they want answered :)

    I'll leave it open for the next few days so everyone has a chance to ask questions
    Ian, Nov 25, 2005

  2. Ian

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Alright then... We'll have to do it this way I suppose.

    Q1: Who are you and where do you come from? What's your other site about?

    Q2: You already have a review site, why two?

    Q3: You've said that you checked this site out prior to purchasing it, yet you also claim not to have known about the contest being run on this site for over a month prior to your purchasing it. How can this be?

    Q4: What are your short term and long term plans and goals for the site?

    Q5: Why should the current editors and reviewers stay with this site under your ownership? What is the benifit for them to remain loyal only to a domain name?

    Q6: Are you still in communications with the previous owner of this site? If yes, what is he saying about the current situation?

    Q7: Why would you pay $400 for a website (technically for the domain name since you're rebuilding the whole site) based on what you saw when you viewed the site prior to purchasing it, rather than getting your own domain name (A $10 USD average cost) and running it that way?

    Q8: What is the actual name of the person you bought this site from? We've heard multiple names mentioned but we would like to know the truth.

    Q9: You say you knew nothing about the contest, did the previous owner not mention any of what was going on with this site to you prior to buying it? Don't you find that odd if so?

    Q10: What are you doing about this situation, are you talking to the previous owner, has he made any statements? If you know, why hasn't he visited the site to explain anything?

    Q11: How long as pcreview.co.uk been around? When did you start it?

    Q12: Does PCR have an established userbase and do you intend to in any way connect this with that site?

    Q13: Do you have any connections, business or otherwise, with any companies, PC manufacturers, parts manufacturers, distributors or suppliers?

    Q14: In staffing this new site, what are you looking for?

    Q15: Are you aware and do you respect the fact that the reviews and articles on this site where applicable are the contribution of individual authors who retain the rights to those documents and may request that they be removed at any time?

    Q16: With regards to future reviews and articles submitted by contributers, will you be requiring exclusivity?

    Q17: Could you supply a short bio about yourself for the users of your site to get to know you better?

    Q18: What is the airspeed of the unlaiden swallow?

    Q19: What is your favorite color?

    Q20: Who blew up the dam?

    Thank you for your time, please respond in quote/answer form.

    -The Modfather
    Infinity Customs LLC.
    The Modfather, Nov 25, 2005

  3. Ian

    Ian Administrator

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2005
    Messages:
    1,088
    Q1: Who are you and where do you come from? What's your other site about?

    Ian Cunningham from the UK, and my other site is another hardware review site similar to this.

    Q2: You already have a review site, why two?

    I enjoy running it and happened to see another one for sale for a good price, so took on the chance to manage another.

    Q3: You've said that you checked this site out prior to purchasing it, yet you also claim not to have known about the contest being run on this site for over a month prior to your purchasing it. How can this be?

    I didn't read all the threads on the forum, I mainly looked at the articles on the main site and had a brief look at the forum (there are plenty of threads!). Neither was I informed about it during the sale.

    Q4: What are your short term and long term plans and goals for the site?

    Short Term : Build a better main page, add a dynamic article system.

    Long Term : More reviews, more promotion of the site, build the community.

    Q5: Why should the current editors and reviewers stay with this site under your ownership? What is the benifit for them to remain loyal only to a domain name?

    Because of my other site, I have plenty of hardware contacts and experience to help this site grow. I'm willing to implement changes based on what they say (hence the changes that have already happened).

    Q6: Are you still in communications with the previous owner of this site? If yes, what is he saying about the current situation?

    Not at all unfortunatly. Now that the site has passed hands there is nothing really to be said.

    Q7: Why would you pay $400 for a website (technically for the domain name since you're rebuilding the whole site) based on what you saw when you viewed the site prior to purchasing it, rather than getting your own domain name (A $10 USD average cost) and running it that way?

    $1400, but thats not for the domain name - but everything that comes with it. There is an established community here, plenty of existing content and a "brand". I could have bought a domain, but it would take months to build these things.

    Q8: What is the actual name of the person you bought this site from? We've heard multiple names mentioned but we would like to know the truth.

    Danny Garon

    Q9: You say you knew nothing about the contest, did the previous owner not mention any of what was going on with this site to you prior to buying it? Don't you find that odd if so?

    Yes, I do find it odd - however I belive that was part of the reason for the sale. In time, once the site is back on its feet then I may hold another competition (which will actually be drawn).

    Q10: What are you doing about this situation, are you talking to the previous owner, has he made any statements? If you know, why hasn't he visited the site to explain anything?

    I've e-mailed mike but heard nothing back - I'll contact the seller instead and see if I can get any further.

    Q11: How long as pcreview.co.uk been around? When did you start it?

    Quite a while now - since 1999!

    Q12: Does PCR have an established userbase and do you intend to in any way connect this with that site?

    Yes - its well established. I wouldn't be connecting the two sites as they cater for different things so they will always remain separate.

    Q13: Do you have any connections, business or otherwise, with any companies, PC manufacturers, parts manufacturers, distributors or suppliers?

    Only contacts in the sense of Press Contacts for review samples.

    Q14: In staffing this new site, what are you looking for?

    The existing staff seem to be doing a good job, so I wouldn't be adding any new staff for the time being unless an interested party came forward.

    Q15: Are you aware and do you respect the fact that the reviews and articles on this site where applicable are the contribution of individual authors who retain the rights to those documents and may request that they be removed at any time?

    Yes, I'm aware that various reviews remain under authorship of individuals, however if they were written from a press sample obtained for writing a review for this site, then this site remains the permission to keep them published.

    Q16: With regards to future reviews and articles submitted by contributers, will you be requiring exclusivity?

    Only if the hardware was obtained as a review sample specifically for this site.

    Q17: Could you supply a short bio about yourself for the users of your site to get to know you better?

    I'm 21 and currently studying Aerospace Engineering in the UK, I'm a total hardware geek. Most of my time is spend in uni or working for the time being, but I'm graduating next year (thankfully!) - aiming to workin in the Avionics Industry or go for a PhD.

    Q18: What is the airspeed of the unlaiden swallow?

    An African or European Swallow? ;)

    Q19: What is your favorite color?

    Blue!

    Q20: Who blew up the dam?

    :S No idea? Unholy?
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2005
    Ian, Nov 25, 2005
  4. Ian

    Ian Administrator

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2005
    Messages:
    1,088
    Modfather,

    I've heard from some other people this afternoon with lots of links to your forum posts, such as:

    In my very first words on this site it was made known that I owned PC Review, and as a matter of fact I am very proud of it. I feel like I am being entrapped for trying my very best... I'm incredibly annoyed after reading your posts on other forums. I have told 100% the truth, and even gone out of my way to answer questions like the one above.

    On your own site you have even written a news post which appears to be some sort of scoop?

    I am a student and I'm not running some massive website empire here - PC Review is my hobby and has been for the last 6 years.
    So much for giving a guy a chance. This site had lots of potential, and I've spent a long time developing additions so that the current staff can continue writing articles. I really have put lots of effort into this, which now seems rather pointless after the formation of BitBox.
    Ian, Nov 25, 2005
  5. Ian

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    I will be replacing that (which at the time was my own impression) with the Q&A we just put together here to be fair. The comments I made on my site were my own impressions based on what knowledge I had at the time. If they were erronious and misleading, I will retract them as I post this Q&A. It's now up to others to further the questions if they have any. I am, for now, satisfied with the answers and will continue to be a regular user of this site.

    -Mike
    The Modfather, Nov 26, 2005
  6. Ian

    Ian Administrator

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2005
    Messages:
    1,088
    Cheers

    I'm sure you'll find the changes positive one the new article system is complete :)
    Ian, Nov 26, 2005
  7. Ian

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Err wrong.

    The review samples were picked by us, under no substantial domain name or company reference. they were then sent to us and we reviewed them, the fact that velocityreviews was the publisher was not mentioned, only presummed. In that fact i signed no documents stating my copyrighted information was owned by velocityreviews. please understand the articles dont and i mean DONT belong to the publisher nor the owner, but are property of the author, unless a contract or document was signed. which was not.

    I have no idea who you think you are but forcing your way into a community and not consulting the previous staff on any changes is shear stupidity, also if you are cashing out 1.4 grand you think you would research what you are buying and not just a quick check but a thougho read through and look on the FRONT PAGE HOW COULD YOU MISS A COMP???

    and, i dont see why i cant start my own site. did you ever think maybe i dont want to be under your management, and i wonder why?

    Reason #1: I would have no contact with the companies who send me the product, which means i would not be able to give them the dirt on there product.

    Reason #2: I would like to have my own site, make one that works, has a good community and isn't limited by bad previous managment.

    Reason #3: Why do u care? you wasted you money because you didn't reseach what you are getting.
    unholy, Nov 26, 2005
  8. Ian

    Ian Administrator

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2005
    Messages:
    1,088
    Yes, these articles belong to you - however some were obtained for review and display on this site. You even said yourself that you need your @velocityreviews.com e-mail to keep in contact with hardware companies as they expect to see their items review appear on this site. I don't claim to own your articles, however if they were written from a review sample obtained for display on this site then they have permission to remain here. I have written articles for other sites before I started my own, but I couldn't have them removed because of this same reason - they were review samples obtained via that site.

    #1: Of course you'd still be in contact with the companies, things haven't changed in that respect.

    #2: Fair enough!

    #3: The money isn't wasted at all, as I full intend to keep the site growing.
    Ian, Nov 26, 2005
  9. Ian

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Unholy, where did he say anything about you not starting your own site? Was this in private? If so you probably should have kept it there, now I'm confused by that comment.

    My honest conclusion and opinions at this point.

    1. I'll remain a user here until I see what happens and hold back on any judgements until then. I don't see that this is Ian's fault and he may be a victim here. So if that's the case, he may need our support and not our bitching.

    2. I'm very confused about the price paid, the messages on the forum you linked back to showed the purchase price for the site as $400 not $1400.

    3. I'm confused as to how you could miss the contest, since it was the very top of the front page of this site for quite a while. You didn't even need to view the forums to know about it.

    4. As Unholy pointed out, it seems like you didn't research this site very in-depth prior to buying it so it's a little odd but, what you do with your money is not my business so I have no comment about that except that it's odd to me.

    5. I've never reviewed for this site, not that I may not opt to in the future if things go smoothly and it looks like all is on the level. I just got picked up by Think Computers, my first job as a staff member of an established PC review site and I'm very psyched about that. I'd have to find out if it's even permitted that I freelance any other work. If so that's a possibility. If not, I'll stay where I am, Think gave me a chance here and I have to be loyal to that.
    The Modfather, Nov 26, 2005
  10. Ian

    Ian Administrator

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2005
    Messages:
    1,088
    I've not said anything about unholy starting his own site, so I'm a bit confused too! The $400 was the starting price, but there was a $1400 BIN (buy it now price) which I went for to avoid losing out.
    Ian, Nov 26, 2005
  11. Ian

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I hope...

    ...things will continue to improve, and that most members will stay on at least long enough (a few months) to give Ian a chance. The only thing we can really bitch about is the hard drive prize going away.
    bigal, Nov 26, 2005
  12. Ian

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Which, if Ian's plans come through, isn't a big deal really. I mean, the only one of us who really wanted it I think was XhArD, he's the one that was most hopeful of it. I'd have liked to win just because I never win anything but heck, no big deal there. I hope we can get things ironed out and VR can get better. Meanwhile, guys, why don't we check out Ian's other site (if you haven't) and see what this guy can do?

    -Mike
    The Modfather, Nov 26, 2005
  13. Ian

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    I see two problems with ian as manager.

    1. He clearly didn't look at the site he just knew what it was.
    2. He failed to consult the previous owner before purchase,
    3. Because he purchased the site he thinks the reviews are his.
    4. He failed to replace the HDD contest.

    now thats just some of the list.

    I would like to mention though Ian, the only reason i wanted my velocityreviews account is because i am at so many forums with that as my email. infact i actually used my unholystudios.com email for contact to all the review site, considering the vr emails would shit itself alot.

    i actually took this furthur then the forums, i have asked 3 marketers for companies and they said, "The review sample is not sent to the company but the Reveiwer therefore it is expected the review on the product will be uploaded to a website."

    And to confirm this, i have been signing for Nathan Rossi when i get my review samples.

    Modfather, a contest is a contest. lets do a comparision to the stock market. Say you buy stock on microsoft. 1 year after you buy the stock microsoft looses 4 billion dollars on mircosoft windows vista sales, and this was because of a a flaw in the software. Microsoft decides to cancel the project altogether. You loose your share of the loss and you uproar because micrsoft aint doing nothing about it, so more people then Hate microsoft. (which is pretty common)

    The link being you's entered a contest. Expecting it to be drawn, yet because of change is ownership and lack of commonsense theres no giveaway, its all a scam. you might think its nice but it didn't work (thats point at mike reader), if fact i think it just shitted Ian up. i am not angry at Ian so much the the fact mike could sell the site, and lye. Though its not entirely mikes fault. you see Ian you failed to look at the site, just browsing it would have told you there was a contest in operation.

    I will be staying here until the end of december. if you can give me a good reason to leave now then do it. But i am not prepared to do reviews until you realise that they are property of the author. The publisher can only produce them. think of newspaper articles. they get paid to write them, though they are still property of the Author.
    unholy, Nov 27, 2005
  14. Ian

    Ian Administrator

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2005
    Messages:
    1,088
    I'm not denying that your articles are your work, however companies sent you those items to appear on velocityreviews.com - they even link to them from their websites. You can't just pull reviews that you obtained because of this site, otherwise not many review sites would still be around. Yes, it will always be your review no matter who owns the site.
    Ian, Nov 27, 2005
  15. Ian

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    My 2 cents on that issue.

    Unholy, you submitted those reviews to Velocity, to pull them from the site would perhaps not be the right thing to do. You still own them but you did submit them here and while they may not be the property of Velocity Reviews, you still gave VR permission to run them in perpetuity. That means that you really can't legally pull them from the site. You retain ownership of them yes, and you can reuse them on any site you want to. But can you force Ian to remove them? In my country I don't think you could, Ian's in England, this site is in, where? New Zealand? And you're in Australia. That'd be a matter of international law. I doubt you'd want to go through all that to get your articles removed. Meanwhile we've seen no real evidence that Ian did anything wrong except make a couple of judgement errors. I say we give the guy a chance and the benefit of the doubt. I think the real culprit here is the previous owner who in fact screwed over not just us but Ian too. Unless someone can provide evidence that Ian is in cohoots with the previous owner and did in fact know all these things going in to the purchase of the site, I don't see how he's done anything wrong. Foolish perhaps, but not wrong and nothing legally culpable.

    I do understand your wish to retain ownership of your work and it seems that you do. But removing it from a site that you put it on may not be a possibility or even legal. No, you didn't sign anything but there's the fact that it existed here for all this time with your blessing that would indicate to anyone that you did intend for it to reside here from the start. I doubt anyone would say that you'd be right to force Ian to remove those reviews. Besides, they're done, over with and old news now. You need to keep doing NEW reviews. So if you don't want to make them available to VelocityReviews you can always freelance and offer them to other sites. The companies you review for however will want to see these reviews on an established review site. So if not here, then you'll find somewhere for them I'm sure. But let the ones in the past go, there's no point in arguing over them. If Ian can do for this site what he did for his other site, it'll be nice, give it time. Did you visit his other site? It's really neat, I like it. I think you would too.

    I'm just saying, cut Ian some slack now, he's trying to keep his existing staff happy the best he can right now. If he wanted to be a jerk about it he could do what Mike did and just not respond to anything, just hide in the background. But he's not doing that, he's being cool about it. Now you be cool to man, or I'll fart in your general direction. :)
    The Modfather, Nov 27, 2005
  16. Ian

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    All i want him to do is fix the reviews up so the companies dont complain about there awards being missing, i have had 10 complaints , there are doubles from companies too (not counted in that).

    I want you to know u are editing my work, and i am standing up for what the companies believe in. Awards CANNOT be revoked.

    I am not trying to get u to remove them, i want you to see they aren't yours, you have no right to edit them. OTHERWISE, i don't want my name on the reviews, cause they are therefore not my work. but because u have taken the reviews that is a infringment of copyright, so lets just stay with the put the score and awards back on them.
    unholy, Nov 28, 2005
  17. Ian

    Ian Administrator

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2005
    Messages:
    1,088
    I didn't realise the awards issue was causing such a problem. The only reason they were taken off was because the new article system will have a tickbox to display these.

    Let me know which companies have the problem and I'll manually add these ones back in first.
    Ian, Nov 28, 2005
  18. Ian

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    See, communication, it's a wonderful thing. :)
    The Modfather, Nov 28, 2005
  19. Ian

    m1k30rz

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Messages:
    57
    Location:
    New Zealand
    Hello Everyone,

    I am the EX-Owner of VelocityReviews.com I mainly was involved with the background work, keeping site up, maintaining forums, webhosting etc, all the things that have to be done to run a site :)

    My friend Danny Garon offered me the chance for him to sell the site on my behalf, he found a buyer (Ian) and the sale was completed. Ian is now the owener of VelocityReviews.
    To my understanding all staff keep their current posistions and I was promised that Ian would develop the site and put more effort than I could into it, as I have many other website projects I did not have the time to put into VR anymore. Which of course is good for VR :)

    The hard drive contest still stands, I have the hard drive here on my desk waiting to be sent out to the lucky winner, this was an understanding as the site was being sold that I would still draw and give away the Hard Drive to the lucky winner.

    Ian is doing his best for this site, I'm sorry about the confusion but I have been too busy to post anything here about the site changeover.

    I trust this will clear a few things up :)

    -Mike
    m1k30rz, Dec 4, 2005
  20. Ian

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    just try to add the awards to all the ones that recieved awards, contact me if u cant get which ones and stuff :D
    unholy, Dec 5, 2005