Question STRICTLY for Nikon D experts only...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gasser, Dec 12, 2008.

  1. Gasser

    Gasser Guest

    This is a question STRICTLY for Nikon D experts/technicians only!

    Is there a way to stop a FULL-FRAME Nikon D-SLR (any of D3, D700, D3x)
    from auto-masking** the outer region of the sensor when a DX-type lens
    is fitted?

    ** By auto-masking is meant the reduction of the apparent frame size
    from approx. 35.9mmx24mm to approx. 23.6mmx15.7mm.

    Such ways could include a software setting override, downloaded patch,
    insulating of camera body or lens contact or a more radical hardware
    alteration of camera or lens functionality.

    My clients are willing to pay for such a modification.

    The advantage is obvious. DX lenses cover a circular region notably
    bigger than the APS-C sensor size of the other Nikon D-SLRs. Many can
    cover more than APS-H. Longer ones almost cover FF. Also, even if one
    restricts the coverage to the smallest circle containing APS-C, a
    square of side 20mm is possible, giving 8.4% more coverage than APS-C.

    Replies only in the newsgroup, thanks. The email shown is munged.

    Adolf
    Gasser, Dec 12, 2008

  2. Gasser

    Mark Thomas Guest

    Gasser wrote:
    > This is a question STRICTLY for Nikon D experts/technicians only!

    Well, don't continue reading my answer then...

    > Is there a way to stop a FULL-FRAME Nikon D-SLR (any of D3, D700, D3x)
    > from auto-masking** the outer region of the sensor when a DX-type lens
    > is fitted?
    >
    > ** By auto-masking is meant the reduction of the apparent frame size
    > from approx. 35.9mmx24mm to approx. 23.6mmx15.7mm.
    >
    > Such ways could include a software setting override, downloaded patch,
    > insulating of camera body or lens contact or a more radical hardware
    > alteration of camera or lens functionality.

    Or... they could just go into the Shooting Menu, pick Image Area, and
    turn 'Auto DX crop' off. Isn't that function on all of them, or am I
    missing something?

    > My clients are willing to pay for such a modification.

    That will be $350. Check, Money order or Paypal is fine.
    Mark Thomas, Dec 12, 2008

  3. Gasser

    Paul Furman Guest

    Mark Thomas wrote:
    > Gasser wrote:
    >> This is a question STRICTLY for Nikon D experts/technicians only!

    > Well, don't continue reading my answer then...
    >
    >> Is there a way to stop a FULL-FRAME Nikon D-SLR (any of D3, D700, D3x)
    >> from auto-masking** the outer region of the sensor when a DX-type lens
    >> is fitted?
    >>
    >> ** By auto-masking is meant the reduction of the apparent frame size
    >> from approx. 35.9mmx24mm to approx. 23.6mmx15.7mm.
    >>
    >> Such ways could include a software setting override, downloaded patch,
    >> insulating of camera body or lens contact or a more radical hardware
    >> alteration of camera or lens functionality.

    > Or... they could just go into the Shooting Menu, pick Image Area, and
    > turn 'Auto DX crop' off. Isn't that function on all of them, or am I
    > missing something?

    Yep, just turn it off in the menu.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Dec 12, 2008
  4. Gasser

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 04:10:47 +0100, Gasser wrote:

    > Is there a way to stop a FULL-FRAME Nikon D-SLR (any of D3, D700, D3x)
    > from auto-masking** the outer region of the sensor when a DX-type lens
    > is fitted?
    >
    > ** By auto-masking is meant the reduction of the apparent frame size
    > from approx. 35.9mmx24mm to approx. 23.6mmx15.7mm.
    >
    > Such ways could include a software setting override, downloaded patch,
    > insulating of camera body or lens contact or a more radical hardware
    > alteration of camera or lens functionality.
    >
    > My clients are willing to pay for such a modification.

    This is for the D700. I assume that the D3 and D3x are similar.
    By default, Auto DX Crop is enabled. Disable this setting.

    Next, check the Image Area setting which can be either FX Format
    or DX Format. Set to FX format if it's not already set to FX.
    These are menu options, but you can also assign the Image Area to
    the Fn button and use the main command dial instead. If you have
    the D700 manual this is shown on pages 58 - 63.
    ASAAR, Dec 12, 2008
  5. Gasser

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 19:42:34 -0500, RichA wrote:

    >> This is for the D700. I assume that the D3 and D3x are similar.

    > . . .
    > Are there any examples of shots taken with DX lenses in that mode?
    > Be interesting to see what the coverage is like.

    None that I'm aware of, but I think that some folks in the DPR
    forums have talked about it a time or two. If any show up my guess
    is that it's more likely that the first ones to appear will be taken
    with the D3x, not the other two, since the cropped area would be
    similar to the D200's 10mp sensor, more useful than the 5mp that the
    D3 or D700 would produce.
    ASAAR, Dec 13, 2008
  6. Gasser

    Paul Furman Guest

    RichA wrote:
    > "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 04:10:47 +0100, Gasser wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a way to stop a FULL-FRAME Nikon D-SLR (any of D3, D700, D3x)
    >>> from auto-masking** the outer region of the sensor when a DX-type lens
    >>> is fitted?
    >>>
    >>> ** By auto-masking is meant the reduction of the apparent frame size
    >>> from approx. 35.9mmx24mm to approx. 23.6mmx15.7mm.
    >>>
    >>> Such ways could include a software setting override, downloaded patch,
    >>> insulating of camera body or lens contact or a more radical hardware
    >>> alteration of camera or lens functionality.
    >>>
    >>> My clients are willing to pay for such a modification.

    >> This is for the D700. I assume that the D3 and D3x are similar.
    >> By default, Auto DX Crop is enabled. Disable this setting.
    >>
    >> Next, check the Image Area setting which can be either FX Format
    >> or DX Format. Set to FX format if it's not already set to FX.
    >> These are menu options, but you can also assign the Image Area to
    >> the Fn button and use the main command dial instead. If you have
    >> the D700 manual this is shown on pages 58 - 63.
    >>

    > Are there any examples of shots taken with DX lenses in that mode? Be
    > interesting to see what the coverage is like.

    Here's a couple from my 10.5mm fisheye with sawed off shade on a D700:
    http://edgehill.net/Misc/photography/9-4-08-fisheye-view
    http://edgehill.net/Southwest/9-12-08_25-colorado-trip/9-14-08-crestone/pg10pc59

    --
    Paul Furman