Question(s) about RTM release

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?TGl0dGxlYmxvb21lcnM=?=, May 18, 2005.

  1. I am currently running a multi-boot setup, with Windows XP SP2 on one
    partition, and WIndows XP x64 RC2 on another partition (which runs great).

    My plan is to download the RTM trial edition when it becomes available while
    I wait to obtain a fully-functional (no timebomb) copy for permanent use.

    I have two questions:

    (1) Will the RTM trial edition install over my RC2 edition, and upgrade it?
    (and I guess reduce the license time from 365 days to 120 days). Or do I
    need to format and re-install? If so, forget it, RC2 seems stable and
    functional enough until I get a full RTM CDROM.

    (2) With RC2, the Windows Update seems to work fine, but there has never
    been an update to install. Is that because RC2 is "cut off" so-to-speak from
    updates and the feature is "up and running" but not "functioning"? Or are
    there truly no new updates?

    If cut-off, that worries me a little, I'd hate to think I am opening myself
    up to security issues by running an OS without security update features. I
    know it is Beta and I am not at all bitching at Microsoft, I am just asking
    out loud.

    Thanks for any help you can offer.
    =?Utf-8?B?TGl0dGxlYmxvb21lcnM=?=, May 18, 2005

  2. No upgrade path from betas (RC2) clean installs only. You do have the option
    of doing an inplace upgrade for the Trial RTM of XP Pro x64 to the full
    version if standardized on XP Pro x64 during the trial period.

    Windows Update does function for x64 Windows - but there are no updates yet
    available. This has something to do with the architecture of the operating
    system itself, no cut off.
    --

    Andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, May 18, 2005

  3. Hello,
    1) Yes the RTM trial edition should upgrade the RC2 edition. However they
    may be limitation going from the trial edition to the full RTM CD. If it's
    OEM, you will not be able to upgrade from the trial, if it's volume or MSDN
    media you will be able to upgrade from the trial edition.
    2) There were no updates for RC2. Rarely if ever are there ever updates
    for beta releases. Certainly once the OS has RTMed there will be no
    updates for Beta release, only updates for released media. Usually beta
    builds are updated to newer builds that would contain all the updates and
    the final beta versions are updated to the released product.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    >From: "=?Utf-8?B?TGl0dGxlYmxvb21lcnM=?="

    <>

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], May 18, 2005
  4. Sorry, I was mistaken about the upgrade path then.

    Darrell, I thought this was Microsoft policy, no upgrade path from betas at
    all? Suppose x64 was distributed as a retail product in both upgrade and
    full versions, users could simply just buy the upgrade and use it to upgrade
    from RC2.

    Andre Da Costa, May 18, 2005
  5. Hello Andre,
    There are a couple of things here.
    I probably wasn't very clear in the last post or rather not complete.
    The upgrade from RC2 to RTM Eval is not blocked. It is not a supported
    upgrade unless there is an agreement specific to the beta program where we
    agree to support that upgrade path. The preview program and tech beta
    programs do not have that agreement to support that upgrade path.
    However it isn't blocked so if the user wants to attempt the upgrade they
    can do so.
    So this is not a blocked scenario, just an unsupported scenario.

    Now the the upgrade media question deals with compliance checking. This is
    a different/separate check than, whether you can upgrade or not.
    Beta builds do not meet the compliance checks so they do not work with
    compliance checking media.(upgrade media)
    For example with Windows XP:
    Windows 95 meets the compliance check, but the upgrade from Windows 95 is
    blocked.

    However since the most common means of obtaining media for x64 will be via
    OEM media. ( Eval, MSDN, and Volume are the others).
    OEM media does not upgrade Eval media, I don't think it upgrade beta media
    either. OEM media would only upgrade other OEM media, of which there
    aren't any for X64 Windows yet.

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    >From: "Andre Da Costa" <>

    <>
    >Subject: Re: Question(s) about RTM release
    >Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 17:31:12 -0700
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    >
    >Sorry, I was mistaken about the upgrade path then.
    >
    >Darrell, I thought this was Microsoft policy, no upgrade path from betas

    at
    >all? Suppose x64 was distributed as a retail product in both upgrade and
    >full versions, users could simply just buy the upgrade and use it to

    upgrade
    >from RC2.
    >--
    >
    >Andre
    >http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    >FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    >
    >""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >> 1) Yes the RTM trial edition should upgrade the RC2 edition. However they
    >> may be limitation going from the trial edition to the full RTM CD. If
    >> it's
    >> OEM, you will not be able to upgrade from the trial, if it's volume or
    >> MSDN
    >> media you will be able to upgrade from the trial edition.
    >> 2) There were no updates for RC2. Rarely if ever are there ever updates
    >> for beta releases. Certainly once the OS has RTMed there will be no
    >> updates for Beta release, only updates for released media. Usually beta
    >> builds are updated to newer builds that would contain all the updates and
    >> the final beta versions are updated to the released product.
    >> Thanks,
    >> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    rights

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], May 18, 2005
  6. Thank you all for your quick replies, that answers my questions.

    My goal with multi-booting RC2 was to see what 64-bit computing had to offer
    me, which is what I suppose the CPP was all about.

    I have pretty much discovered what Microsoft already warned people about,
    and that is that 64-bit computing at this point offers very little to the
    typical home end-user (such as myself). Even the 64-bit version of Far Cry
    is hardly revolutionary at this point, although I do hope with the gaming
    hardware explosion that developers take advatage of the possibilities of a
    64-bit OS in the near future.

    I do congratulate Microsoft on a very, very smooth transition to a 64-bit
    OS. The installation and user interface are very familiar, and the RC2 (and
    I imagine RTM) seems very stable. Everything except WinDVD Platinum
    installed without a hitch, and all my hardware (except digital camrera) was
    supported. However, I think I will remain in the comfort of 32-bit computing
    at this time.
    =?Utf-8?B?TGl0dGxlYmxvb21lcnM=?=, May 18, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TGl0dGxlYmxvb21lcnM=?=

    Kevin Panzke Guest

    Actually, if you go to the Version 4 Windows Update Catalog Website (for
    Corporate Users), you will find that there are 2 Updates for Windows XP x64
    Edition (one of them is a Critical Update).
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/

    Kevin Panzke, May 18, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?TGl0dGxlYmxvb21lcnM=?=

    Kevin Panzke Guest

    The updates are available for Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition as well.

    Kevin Panzke, May 18, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?TGl0dGxlYmxvb21lcnM=?=

    Soma11 Guest

    Ditto to the above, For all the MS critics, XP64 should show them MS has
    fantastic programmers who have produced a good start for the WIN64 OS - for
    business and home use.

    AMD should be thanked too for showing 64 bit extensions provide a good
    transition for those of us who started with Win 3.0 and have stuck with MS
    OS all the way up. We have a lot of investment in the existing 32 bit
    applications and don't want to toss all of them yet. It will be a while for
    users to buy new systems, but we went from 486 to Pentium/Athlon and now
    AMD64/Intel 6?.

    Soma11, May 18, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?TGl0dGxlYmxvb21lcnM=?=

    Tocapet Guest

    MS Win 3.0?? I started with DOS 3.2. Didn't really use Windows until
    Win95. Had a really fast Intel XT running at a blazing 4 MHZ and 640K and
    an enormous 10 MB HD.
    Tocapet, May 18, 2005
  11. I wouldn't say x64 is targetted at home users, thats what Home Edition and
    MCE are for. x64 is more of a Enthusiast and Technical user OS.

    Andre Da Costa, May 18, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?TGl0dGxlYmxvb21lcnM=?=

    Antoine Leca Guest

    En <news:>,
    Darrell Gorter va escriure:
    > However since the most common means of obtaining media for x64 will
    > be via OEM media. ( Eval, MSDN, and Volume are the others).
    > OEM media does not upgrade Eval media,

    Am I correct in understanding that if you install the Trial version
    ("Windows XP Professional x64 Edition trial software", "soon to be available
    for download" or shipped on CDs) would *NOT* be upgradable to no-timebomb
    status using the OEM media?

    It was my understanding that such a version could be updated after
    installation (thus avoiding a full reinstall), but if OEM is not an option,
    then only the TAP media could do it. Correct?

    Thanks for your insights anyway, that's great support.

    Antoine
    Antoine Leca, May 18, 2005