Question regarding use of Cisco 1841 router..

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Rick F, Aug 28, 2007.

  1. Rick F

    Rick F Guest

    Hi all..

    It's been a long time since I've used any Cisco routers (>10 years)
    and I'm very rusty on the nomenclature, etc.. Anyway, I'm thinking of
    buying a 1841 for use at home as my main router between my in-house
    network and the Internet in general (via my ISP).. To that end, I've
    got a few questions for you :

    1) Can I use the FastEthernet ports built into this router as my 100Mb
    port to my ISP (via a cable modem) or must I use a HWIC,WIC, etc for
    that purpose? Based on what I've read, it seems like I can get away
    w/ doing this but wanted to confirm.

    2) If I want to get support enabled (for getting firmware updates) for
    one of these, is it going to cost and arm & leg or are there other
    possibilities?

    3) Anyone have any ideas on when the 1841 will be end-of-life'd? It
    appears to still be a current product, but just curious on this
    mostly..

    Thanks!

    Rick F, Aug 28, 2007

  2. Rick F <> writes:
    >It's been a long time since I've used any Cisco routers (>10 years)
    >and I'm very rusty on the nomenclature, etc.. Anyway, I'm thinking of
    >buying a 1841 for use at home as my main router between my in-house
    >network and the Internet in general (via my ISP).. To that end, I've
    >got a few questions for you :

    The 1841 is a pretty nice little router.

    >1) Can I use the FastEthernet ports built into this router as my 100Mb
    >port to my ISP (via a cable modem) or must I use a HWIC,WIC, etc for
    >that purpose? Based on what I've read, it seems like I can get away
    >w/ doing this but wanted to confirm.

    Yes, it has two ethernet ports already. You can add on ethernet ports
    if you wish with the HWIC card. Any interface can act in any role
    generally on the cisco products.

    >2) If I want to get support enabled (for getting firmware updates) for
    >one of these, is it going to cost and arm & leg or are there other
    >possibilities?

    CON-SNT-C1841T1 costs $124 from CDW? Not too much $$s?
    I couldn't find the plain contract name, CON-SNT-C1841, but it
    obviously should be about the same price.

    >3) Anyone have any ideas on when the 1841 will be end-of-life'd? It
    >appears to still be a current product, but just curious on this
    >mostly..

    Going by the lifetime of previous cisco products in this class, I'd
    say you've got another 5 years or so of usable life.
    Its not that old, and its unlikely anything newer will be out for at
    least 2 years.

    I know of people still running 2501s...
    If it still does what you need it to, why bother to change?

    Doug McIntyre, Aug 28, 2007

  3. Rick F

    Rick F Guest

    On Aug 28, 2:59 pm, Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    > Rick F <> writes:
    > >It's been a long time since I've used any Cisco routers (>10 years)
    > >and I'm very rusty on the nomenclature, etc.. Anyway, I'm thinking of
    > >buying a 1841 for use at home as my main router between my in-house
    > >network and the Internet in general (via my ISP).. To that end, I've
    > >got a few questions for you :

    > The 1841 is a pretty nice little router.

    Thanks for all the info.. Now I just have to wait and I can play
    around
    with it once I get it.. I read on someone else's thread from a while
    back
    that I might need a cross-over ethernet cable between the router and
    my cable modem possibly.. I guess I'll have to see if that is needed
    or
    not. Thanks again.

    Rick F, Aug 28, 2007
  4. Rick F

    corb Guest

    "Rick F" <> wrote in message
    > On Aug 28, 2:59 pm, Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    >> Rick F <> writes:
    >> >It's been a long time since I've used any Cisco routers (>10 years)
    >> >and I'm very rusty on the nomenclature, etc.. Anyway, I'm thinking of
    >> >buying a 1841 for use at home as my main router between my in-house
    >> >network and the Internet in general (via my ISP).. To that end, I've
    >> >got a few questions for you :

    >> The 1841 is a pretty nice little router.

    > Thanks for all the info.. Now I just have to wait and I can play
    > around
    > with it once I get it.. I read on someone else's thread from a while
    > back
    > that I might need a cross-over ethernet cable between the router and
    > my cable modem possibly.. I guess I'll have to see if that is needed
    > or
    > not. Thanks again.

    Have you considered an 1801?

    It has DSL & Ethernet WAN with an 8 port switch. Ideal for your scenario? Or
    is it a requirement that you have a modular router ?

    corb, Aug 29, 2007
  5. "Doug McIntyre" <> wrote in message
    > Rick F <> writes:
    >>It's been a long time since I've used any Cisco routers (>10 years)
    >>and I'm very rusty on the nomenclature, etc.. Anyway, I'm thinking of
    >>buying a 1841 for use at home as my main router between my in-house
    >>network and the Internet in general (via my ISP).. To that end, I've
    >>got a few questions for you :

    > The 1841 is a pretty nice little router.

    I can think of several other 800 series routers that would be fine aswell -
    Depends upon services and throughput of WAN

    >>1) Can I use the FastEthernet ports built into this router as my 100Mb
    >>port to my ISP (via a cable modem) or must I use a HWIC,WIC, etc for
    >>that purpose? Based on what I've read, it seems like I can get away
    >>w/ doing this but wanted to confirm.

    > Yes, it has two ethernet ports already. You can add on ethernet ports
    > if you wish with the HWIC card. Any interface can act in any role
    > generally on the cisco products.

    Please note, that the onboard ports are L3 ports, and the HWIC-4ESW ports
    are L2 ports !
    Also the 4ports are a bit strange to stack, if you would like 2 x 4 ports,
    then you end up with 2 x 3 ports ...

    HTH
    Martin Bilgrav

    Martin Bilgrav, Aug 29, 2007
  6. Rick F

    Rick F Guest

    On Aug 28, 11:38 pm, "corb" <> wrote:

    > Have you considered an 1801?
    >
    > It has DSL & Ethernet WAN with an 8 port switch. Ideal for your scenario? Or
    > is it a requirement that you have a modular router ?

    Yes, I had looked at that model as well.. I ended up deciding that the
    flexibility
    and expandability of the 1841 was a bit more the direction I wanted to
    go after..

    Rick F, Aug 31, 2007
  7. Rick F

    Rick F Guest

    On Aug 29, 2:34 pm, "Martin Bilgrav" <>
    wrote:
    > "Doug McIntyre" <> wrote in message

    > > The 1841 is a pretty nice little router.

    > I can think of several other 800 series routers that would be fine aswell -
    > Depends upon services and throughput of WAN

    Yes, I had looked at them as well as the 1801.. I like the modularity
    and
    expandability of the 1841 since I'm planning on keeping it for quite
    some
    time and may add some of the extra cards depending on the direction
    of my home experiment..

    > > Yes, it has two ethernet ports already. You can add on ethernet ports
    > > if you wish with the HWIC card. Any interface can act in any role
    > > generally on the cisco products.

    > Please note, that the onboard ports are L3 ports, and the HWIC-4ESW ports
    > are L2 ports !
    > Also the 4ports are a bit strange to stack, if you would like 2 x 4 ports,
    > then you end up with 2 x 3 ports ...

    I'm assuming that you're referring to the fact that the switched ports
    are level-2 vs. level-3 ports.. I'm not sure I follow about the 2x4
    comments
    though..

    Rick F, Aug 31, 2007