    P$YCH0 78 Guest

    Would a better heatsink on my CPU improve it's performance any? and if
    so, without going water cooled, what heatsink would you reccommend?

    P$YCH0 78, Mar 4, 2005

  2. P$YCH0 78

    Bryn Kay Guest

    P$YCH0 78, <usenetuser2000@R3M0V3_TH|$yahoo.com>, the hobnail, loony flea,
    and broom maker, ejected:

    > Would a better heatsink on my CPU improve it's performance any? and if
    > so, without going water cooled, what heatsink would you reccommend?

    No. Liquid nitrogen.

    Bryn Kay, Mar 4, 2005

  3. P$YCH0 78

    @ . Guest

    P$YCH0 78 wrote:

    > Would a better heatsink on my CPU improve it's performance any? and if
    > so, without going water cooled, what heatsink would you reccommend?

    nope. ask the people who built your pc.

    @ ., Mar 4, 2005
  4. P$YCH0 78

    TripTych Guest

    "P$YCH0 78" <usenetuser2000@R3M0V3_TH|$yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Would a better heatsink on my CPU improve it's performance any? and if
    > so, without going water cooled, what heatsink would you reccommend?

    If your CPU is overheating (like above 65c) then yes a better heatsink would
    help performance & reduce crashes. If your CPU is operating at a normal temp
    then a new heatsink wont do anything. Check your temps.

    TripTych, Mar 4, 2005
  5. P$YCH0 78 wrote:

    > Would a better heatsink on my CPU improve it's performance any? and if
    > so, without going water cooled, what heatsink would you reccommend?

    No, but it might extend the life of your CPU. As for recommendations,
    a lot of people seem to be pretty gaga over the latest Zalman[1]
    offerings, if you have the physical space. I'm running an old
    Coolermaster HCC-002 all-copper HS[2], and it does a nice job, despite
    not being bleeding edge.

    [1]http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/usa_index.asp
    [2]http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=855&page=1

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 4, 2005
  6. P$YCH0 78

    neville Guest

    My cpu says 94 degrees but I can still play games it just shuts down now and
    then.My main game now is Medal of Honour Pacific Assault.If you just save
    your games regular then it doesnt matter if it shuts down.Hope thats some
    help.

    neville, Mar 4, 2005
  7. P$YCH0 78

    TT Guest

    I have a Zalman all copper clad heatsink/fan as mentioned in one of
    the replies,not the half aluminum-half copper one, and it's a big
    mother...but it dropped the temp on my P4 775 processor from mid 130's(F)
    to around 100(F)...and it's variable as well. I am running it at the
    slowest and quietest setting too. Of course, I also had to turn around
    the northbidge/fan heatsink to fit it onto the ABIT Fatal1ty mobo...
    Case fans and air movement all have an effect on how successful your
    cooling solution is as well. But as stated previously, it extends the
    life of the CPU mostly unless you overclock...

    On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 11:15:19 -0500, P$YCH0 78

    TT, Mar 4, 2005
  8. P$YCH0 78

    DC Guest

    neville wrote:
    > My cpu says 94 degrees but I can still play games it just shuts down now and
    > then.My main game now is Medal of Honour Pacific Assault.If you just save
    > your games regular then it doesnt matter if it shuts down.Hope thats some
    > help.
    > "P$YCH0 78" <usenetuser2000@R3M0V3_TH|$yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Would a better heatsink on my CPU improve it's performance any? and if
    >> so, without going water cooled, what heatsink would you reccommend?

    Neville is giving *advice*, now? Oh boy. }:O)

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Customize Xnews - http://dcicons.fateback.com

    DC, Mar 4, 2005
  9. Howdy!

    > Would a better heatsink on my CPU improve it's performance any? and if
    > so, without going water cooled, what heatsink would you reccommend?

    Only if a) it's a P4, and b) it's hot enough that it's throttling,
    say 60C or hotter.

    Without knowing what you have, and how hot it is now, I can't really
    recommend much ..

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Mar 5, 2005