    found it otherwise when I took sample test questions.

    Could anyone please advise?

    Thanks a lot
    funnysun, Apr 11, 2007

  2. funnysun

    catwalker63 Guest

    funnysun piffled away vaguely:

    > create a folder named TEST on c:\TEST, share it as TESTSHARE
    >
    > when you place permission this folder in NTFS, for same user opening
    > this folder from network which one is effective permission?
    > ( permission placed on c:\TEST or permission placed on TESTSHARE). As
    > of my testing, permission on TESTSHARE overwrites the other one, but i
    > found it otherwise when I took sample test questions.

    One way to figure out permissions is to make two columns and label one
    NTFS and the other Share. Put the appropriate permissions for the user
    and each group they belong to in the appropriate column. For NTFS, the
    effective permission is the LEAST restrictive of all for the user and
    all of the groups unless there is an explicit deny, so write that down
    at the bottom of the column. Same for Share permissions. Now, look at
    the permissions at the bottom of each column and compare them. The
    effective permissions over the network are the MOST restrictive
    permissions between Share and NTFS.

    When you go to use this in the real world, setup the share as open to
    all Authenticated Users for the Share permissions and then set your
    actual restrictions with NTFS. NTFS permissions affect the user whether
    they log in locally or access files over the network. Share permissions
    will only affect a user accessing a share. NTFS permissions are also
    more granular, giving you more control and, potentially, really
    confusing you.
    --

    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43
    catwalker63, Apr 11, 2007

  3. funnysun

    funnysun Guest

    On Apr 11, 3:54 am, catwalker63 <> wrote:
    > funnysun piffled away vaguely:
    >
    > > create a folder named TEST on c:\TEST, share it as TESTSHARE

    > > when you place permission this folder in NTFS, for same user opening
    > > this folder from network which one is effective permission?
    > > ( permission placed on c:\TEST or permission placed on TESTSHARE). As
    > > of my testing, permission on TESTSHARE overwrites the other one, but i
    > > found it otherwise when I took sample test questions.

    > One way to figure out permissions is to make two columns and label one
    > NTFS and the other Share. Put the appropriate permissions for the user
    > and each group they belong to in the appropriate column. For NTFS, the
    > effective permission is the LEAST restrictive of all for the user and
    > all of the groups unless there is an explicit deny, so write that down
    > at the bottom of the column. Same for Share permissions. Now, look at
    > the permissions at the bottom of each column and compare them. The
    > effective permissions over the network are the MOST restrictive
    > permissions between Share and NTFS.
    >
    > When you go to use this in the real world, setup the share as open to
    > all Authenticated Users for the Share permissions and then set your
    > actual restrictions with NTFS. NTFS permissions affect the user whether
    > they log in locally or access files over the network. Share permissions
    > will only affect a user accessing a share. NTFS permissions are also
    > more granular, giving you more control and, potentially, really
    > confusing you.
    > --
    >
    > Catwalker
    > MCNGP #43www.mcngp.com
    > "I have a gun. It's loaded. Shut up."

    Thank you for ur reply, Im still little confused. By giving example
    blow, would you mind telling me what is the permission on share?
    eg.
    User: A1
    Group: USERS
    NTFS <----> SHARE
    Allow -Modify Allow-Read

    effective permission is Allow-Read for A1 to access SHARE folder over
    network?
    funnysun, Apr 11, 2007
  4. funnysun

    funnysun Guest

    On Apr 11, 12:32 pm, "funnysun" <> wrote:
    > On Apr 11, 3:54 am, catwalker63 <> wrote:
    >

    > > funnysun piffled away vaguely:

    > > > create a folder named TEST on c:\TEST, share it as TESTSHARE

    > > > when you place permission this folder in NTFS, for same user opening
    > > > this folder from network which one is effective permission?
    > > > ( permission placed on c:\TEST or permission placed on TESTSHARE). As
    > > > of my testing, permission on TESTSHARE overwrites the other one, but i
    > > > found it otherwise when I took sample test questions.

    > > One way to figure out permissions is to make two columns and label one
    > > NTFS and the other Share. Put the appropriate permissions for the user
    > > and each group they belong to in the appropriate column. For NTFS, the
    > > effective permission is the LEAST restrictive of all for the user and
    > > all of the groups unless there is an explicit deny, so write that down
    > > at the bottom of the column. Same for Share permissions. Now, look at
    > > the permissions at the bottom of each column and compare them. The
    > > effective permissions over the network are the MOST restrictive
    > > permissions between Share and NTFS.

    > > When you go to use this in the real world, setup the share as open to
    > > all Authenticated Users for the Share permissions and then set your
    > > actual restrictions with NTFS. NTFS permissions affect the user whether
    > > they log in locally or access files over the network. Share permissions
    > > will only affect a user accessing a share. NTFS permissions are also
    > > more granular, giving you more control and, potentially, really
    > > confusing you.
    > > --

    > > Catwalker
    > > MCNGP #43www.mcngp.com
    > > "I have a gun. It's loaded. Shut up."

    > Thank you for ur reply, Im still little confused. By giving example
    > blow, would you mind telling me what is the permission on share?
    > eg.
    > User: A1
    > Group: USERS
    > NTFS <----> SHARE
    > Allow -Modify Allow-Read
    >
    > effective permission is Allow-Read for A1 to access SHARE folder over
    > network?- Hide quoted text -

    and what about this

    User: A1
    Group: USERS
    NTFS <----> SHARE
    Allow -Read Allow-Modify
    funnysun, Apr 11, 2007
  5. funnysun

    Blackmetal Guest

    when the combination of Share and NTFS exist, the effective permission is
    the most restrictive.

    let's say you have an Access database in a hosting folder for a website in
    your server.

    Your folder, may have Read in order that the content can be reached by the
    pages, but the Access mdb, must have modify/read permissions in order the
    users have enough permissions to add records through the pages in the
    website.

    but the users will not be able to modify the folder content AKA create
    folders, remove folders, create new files because its share permission is
    Read

    Hope this helps.

    Blackmetal, Apr 11, 2007
  6. funnysun

    funnysun Guest

    On Apr 11, 12:34 pm, "funnysun" <> wrote:
    > On Apr 11, 12:32 pm, "funnysun" <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Apr 11, 3:54 am, catwalker63 <> wrote:

    > > > funnysun piffled away vaguely:

    > > > One way to figure out permissions is to make two columns and label one
    > > > NTFS and the other Share. Put the appropriate permissions for the user
    > > > and each group they belong to in the appropriate column. For NTFS, the
    > > > effective permission is the LEAST restrictive of all for the user and
    > > > all of the groups unless there is an explicit deny, so write that down
    > > > at the bottom of the column. Same for Share permissions. Now, look at
    > > > the permissions at the bottom of each column and compare them. The
    > > > effective permissions over the network are the MOST restrictive
    > > > permissions between Share and NTFS.

    > > > When you go to use this in the real world, setup the share as open to
    > > > all Authenticated Users for the Share permissions and then set your
    > > > actual restrictions with NTFS. NTFS permissions affect the user whether
    > > > they log in locally or access files over the network. Share permissions
    > > > will only affect a user accessing a share. NTFS permissions are also
    > > > more granular, giving you more control and, potentially, really
    > > > confusing you.
    > > > --

    > > > Catwalker
    > > > MCNGP #43www.mcngp.com
    > > > "I have a gun. It's loaded. Shut up."

    > > Thank you for ur reply, Im still little confused. By giving example
    > > blow, would you mind telling me what is the permission on share?
    > > eg.
    > > User: A1
    > > Group: USERS
    > > NTFS <----> SHARE
    > > Allow -Modify Allow-Read

    > > effective permission is Allow-Read for A1 to access SHARE folder over
    > > network?- Hide quoted text -

    > and what about this
    >
    > User: A1
    > Group: USERS
    > NTFS <----> SHARE
    > Allow -Read Allow-Modify- Hide quoted text -

    According to my lab test, the following permission will grant user A1
    read only over network
    User: A1
    Group: USERS
    NTFS <----> SHARE
    Allow -Modify Allow-Read

    and following will grand modify permission to user A1 over network
    User: A1
    Group: USERS
    NTFS <----> SHARE
    Allow -Read Allow-Modify

    This is different from what you said "MOST restrictive
    permissions between Share and NTFS. " Why is that???
    funnysun, Apr 11, 2007
  7. funnysun

    Blackmetal Guest

    Ok, in the previous case (talking a typical hosting folder) the folder
    already has the most restrictive (Read) with the difference that the .

    Now, in this new sample, the most restrictive permission applies again, so
    the effective permission is still Read.

    and that's why SHARE pemissions are not enough to secure a network. and here
    goes again:

    in a web environment, the InetPub folder must have Read permissions in order
    to the web pages be read by the users, but for the authoring users (let's
    say programmers, designers, etc) they must be in a group wich allows them to
    modify the content.

    hope this helps again.
    Blackmetal, Apr 11, 2007
  8. funnysun

    funnysun Guest

    On Apr 11, 12:46 pm, "Blackmetal" <>
    wrote:
    > when the combination of Share and NTFS exist, the effective permission is
    > the most restrictive.
    >
    > let's say you have an Access database in a hosting folder for a website in
    > your server.
    >
    > Your folder, may have Read in order that the content can be reached by the
    > pages, but the Access mdb, must have modify/read permissions in order the
    > users have enough permissions to add records through the pages in the
    > website.
    >
    > but the users will not be able to modify the folder content AKA create
    > folders, remove folders, create new files because its share permission is
    > Read
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > "funnysun" <> wrote in message

    > >> Thank you for ur reply, Im still little confused. By giving example
    > >> blow, would you mind telling me what is the permission on share?
    > >> eg.
    > >> User: A1
    > >> Group: USERS
    > >> NTFS <----> SHARE
    > >> Allow -Modify Allow-Read

    > >> effective permission is Allow-Read for A1 to access SHARE folder over
    > >> network?- Hide quoted text -

    > > and what about this

    > > User: A1
    > > Group: USERS
    > > NTFS <----> SHARE
    > > Allow -Read Allow-Modify- Hide quoted text -

    wow, you replied so fast lol
    funnysun, Apr 11, 2007
  9. funnysun

    funnysun Guest

    On Apr 11, 12:50 pm, "funnysun" <> wrote:
    > On Apr 11, 12:34 pm, "funnysun" <> wrote:

    > > > Thank you for ur reply, Im still little confused. By giving example
    > > > blow, would you mind telling me what is the permission on share?
    > > > eg.
    > > > User: A1
    > > > Group: USERS
    > > > NTFS <----> SHARE
    > > > Allow -Modify Allow-Read

    > > > effective permission is Allow-Read for A1 to access SHARE folder over
    > > > network?- Hide quoted text -

    > > and what about this

    > > User: A1
    > > Group: USERS
    > > NTFS <----> SHARE
    > > Allow -Read Allow-Modify- Hide quoted text -

    > According to my lab test, the following permission will grant user A1
    > read only over network
    > User: A1
    > Group: USERS
    > NTFS <----> SHARE
    > Allow -Modify Allow-Read
    >
    > and following will grand modify permission to user A1 over network
    > User: A1
    > Group: USERS
    > NTFS <----> SHARE
    > Allow -Read Allow-Modify
    >
    > This is different from what you said "MOST restrictive
    > permissions between Share and NTFS. " Why is that???- Hide quoted text -

    OK, I know where my mistake was. When I go to effective permissions
    of A1 on NTFS, it displays A1 has Full control, however, I only grant
    A1 Allow - Read on NTFS...............then I found out USERS gourp has
    Full control..............After I remove A1 from Users group,
    everything is like "the effective permission is
    the most restrictive. "

    I really appreciate your help guys.........

    Thank you
    funnysun, Apr 11, 2007
  10. funnysun

    Blackmetal Guest

    good to know you're done.

    just remember this as a rule:

    Effective Permissions = Most Restrictive(NTFS + SHARE)

    Blackmetal, Apr 11, 2007
  11. funnysun

    catwalker63 Guest

    funnysun piffled away vaguely:

    > Thank you for ur reply, Im still little confused. By giving example
    > below, would you mind telling me what is the permission on share?
    > eg.
    > User: A1
    > Group: USERS
    > NTFS <----> SHARE
    > Allow -Modify Allow-Read
    >
    > effective permission is Allow-Read for A1 to access SHARE folder over
    > network?

    Yup.

    catwalker63, Apr 12, 2007
  12. funnysun

    catwalker63 Guest

    funnysun piffled away vaguely:

    > and what about this
    >
    > User: A1
    > Group: USERS
    > NTFS <----> SHARE
    > Allow -Read Allow-Modify

    Also Read.

    catwalker63, Apr 12, 2007
  13. funnysun

    catwalker63 Guest

    funnysun piffled away vaguely:

    > According to my lab test, the following permission will grant user A1
    > read only over network
    > User: A1
    > Group: USERS
    > NTFS <----> SHARE
    > Allow -Modify Allow-Read
    >
    > and following will grand modify permission to user A1 over network
    > User: A1
    > Group: USERS
    > NTFS <----> SHARE
    > Allow -Read Allow-Modify
    >
    > This is different from what you said "MOST restrictive
    > permissions between Share and NTFS. " Why is that???

    Your lab test is wrong. Try it out on a couple of machines. The first
    example would allow the user to modify if they logged in locally but
    Read if they accessed the share over the network. The second would
    allow Read access regardless of whether the user logged in locally or

    catwalker63, Apr 12, 2007
  14. funnysun

    catwalker63 Guest

    Blackmetal piffled away vaguely:

    > good to know you're done.
    >
    > just remember this as a rule:
    >
    > Effective Permissions = Most Restrictive(NTFS + SHARE)

    But you have to add up all the permissions for the user and ALL the
    groups he/she/it belongs to and find the LEAST restrictive of all of
    them first, then compare the NTFS and SHARE permissions.

    Good luck!

    catwalker63, Apr 12, 2007
  15. funnysun

    funnysun Guest

    On Apr 11, 7:50 pm, catwalker63 <> wrote:
    > Blackmetal piffled away vaguely:
    >
    > > good to know you're done.

    > > just remember this as a rule:

    > > Effective Permissions = Most Restrictive(NTFS + SHARE)

    > But you have to add up all the permissions for the user and ALL the
    > groups he/she/it belongs to and find the LEAST restrictive of all of
    > them first, then compare the NTFS and SHARE permissions.
    >
    > Good luck!
    > --
    >
    > Catwalker
    > MCNGP #43www.mcngp.com
    > "I have a gun. It's loaded. Shut up."

    thanks a lots
    I understand much better than b4 now, you guys are really helpful :)
    funnysun, Apr 15, 2007