    several months at a time.

    Is there a provider that allows the credit to sit in the account with
    no expiry?
    Gul Dukat, Apr 8, 2006

  2. Gul Dukat

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Gul Dukat" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > I am looking to sign up with a VOIP provider. I have
    > unlocked a PAP2 and it is working fine.
    >
    > I understand that with some providers any remaining
    > calling credit expires if not used after 120 days from
    > the date of purchase. I am in the situation of spending
    > time out of the country, sometimes for several months at
    > a time.
    >
    > Is there a provider that allows the credit to sit in the
    > account with no expiry?

    Sipgate, Gradwell, to name but two.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Apr 8, 2006

  3. Gul Dukat

    PhilT Guest

    Gul Dukat wrote:

    > I understand that with some providers any remaining calling credit
    > expires if not used after 120 days from the date of purchase. I am in
    > the situation of spending time out of the country, sometimes for
    > several months at a time.

    take it with you ?

    Phil
    PhilT, Apr 8, 2006
  4. Gul Dukat

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "PhilT" <> wrote in message
    > Gul Dukat wrote:
    >
    > > I understand that with some providers any remaining
    > > calling credit expires if not used after 120 days from
    > > the date of purchase. I am in the situation of spending
    > > time out of the country, sometimes for several months
    > > at a time.

    > take it with you ?

    There is that, of course, provided the OP has broadband access where he's
    going.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Apr 8, 2006
  5. Gul Dukat

    Gul Dukat Guest

    On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 19:54:53 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >There is that, of course, provided the OP has broadband access where he's
    >going.

    Thanks for the info Ivor, and yes you are right I am unable to have
    regular BB access when away.

    Cheers.
    Gul Dukat, Apr 8, 2006
  6. Gul Dukat

    Tim Bray Guest

    Gul Dukat wrote:

    > Is there a provider that allows the credit to sit in the account with
    > no expiry?

    Most sip providers will expire the credit at some stage - it is
    inpractical to have the risk of all the credit sat on the balance sheet
    for too long.

    Tim
    Tim Bray, Apr 8, 2006
  7. Gul Dukat

    GwG Guest

    "Tim Bray" <> wrote in message
    > Gul Dukat wrote:
    >>
    >> Is there a provider that allows the credit to sit in the account with
    >> no expiry?

    > Most sip providers will expire the credit at some stage - it is
    > inpractical to have the risk of all the credit sat on the balance
    > sheet for too long.

    It seems to be generally that if an account is not used for say six
    months, the companies reserve the right to close the account, and any
    unused credit is forfeited, which is fair enough. This is a lot better
    than the companies that pocket their customer's money if they don't add
    more in 120 days, even if the customers are using the account regularly.
    GwG, Apr 8, 2006
  8. Gul Dukat

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "GwG" <> wrote in message
    > "Tim Bray" <> wrote in message
    > > Gul Dukat wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Is there a provider that allows the credit to sit in
    > > > the account with no expiry?

    > > Most sip providers will expire the credit at some stage
    > > - it is inpractical to have the risk of all the credit
    > > sat on the balance sheet for too long.
    > >

    > It seems to be generally that if an account is not used
    > for say six months, the companies reserve the right to
    > close the account, and any unused credit is forfeited,
    > which is fair enough. This is a lot better than the
    > companies that pocket their customer's money if they
    > don't add more in 120 days, even if the customers are
    > using the account regularly.

    I have a spare Sipgate account that I occasionally use for tests with
    around a fiver on it that hasn't been used in a few months, I just checked
    and it's still active. Sipgate say, as mentioned above, that they reserve
    the right to terminate unused accounts, but as far as I'm aware they've
    never done so.

    Similarly with PAYG mobiles; I have a spare Virgin phone in my car's
    glovebox that I keep for emergencies, in case I forget my main phone if I
    go out in a hurry for example. It's not been used in at least 9 months but
    I just fetched it and switched it on and it's active and working with all
    its credit.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Apr 8, 2006
  9. Gul Dukat

    Gul Dukat Guest

    On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 23:30:27 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >Similarly with PAYG mobiles; I have a spare Virgin phone in my car's
    >glovebox that I keep for emergencies, in case I forget my main phone if I
    >go out in a hurry for example. It's not been used in at least 9 months but
    >I just fetched it and switched it on and it's active and working with all
    >its credit.

    And soon it's going to get 1000 free texts per month until the end of
    September, albeit to other Virgin phones.
    Gul Dukat, Apr 9, 2006
  10. Gul Dukat

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Gul Dukat" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 23:30:27 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Similarly with PAYG mobiles; I have a spare Virgin
    > > phone in my car's glovebox that I keep for emergencies,
    > > in case I forget my main phone if I go out in a hurry
    > > for example. It's not been used in at least 9 months
    > > but I just fetched it and switched it on and it's
    > > active and working with all its credit.

    > And soon it's going to get 1000 free texts per month
    > until the end of September, albeit to other Virgin phones.

    Why don't they ever give away anything *useful*..? 1000 messages would
    last me 100 years never mind a month..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Apr 9, 2006
  11. Gul Dukat

    Guest

    On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 06:17:50 +0100, Gul Dukat <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 23:30:27 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Similarly with PAYG mobiles; I have a spare Virgin phone in my car's
    >>glovebox that I keep for emergencies, in case I forget my main phone if I
    >>go out in a hurry for example. It's not been used in at least 9 months but
    >>I just fetched it and switched it on and it's active and working with all
    >>its credit.

    >And soon it's going to get 1000 free texts per month until the end of
    >September, albeit to other Virgin phones.

    And just why would anyone except stupid kids want damned text messages
    I have God only knows how many free off peak text messages which are
    never used ,why can't they give something of use like a pound a month
    of line rental or something .
    , Apr 9, 2006
  12. Gul Dukat

    Scope Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 06:17:50 +0100, Gul Dukat <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 23:30:27 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Similarly with PAYG mobiles; I have a spare Virgin phone in my car's
    >>> glovebox that I keep for emergencies, in case I forget my main phone if I
    >>> go out in a hurry for example. It's not been used in at least 9 months but
    >>> I just fetched it and switched it on and it's active and working with all
    >>> its credit.

    >> And soon it's going to get 1000 free texts per month until the end of
    >> September, albeit to other Virgin phones.

    > And just why would anyone except stupid kids want damned text messages
    > I have God only knows how many free off peak text messages which are
    > never used ,why can't they give something of use like a pound a month
    > of line rental or something .

    This must be a first, something you and Ivor actually agree on. ;-)
    Scope, Apr 9, 2006
  13. Gul Dukat

    Guest

    On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 17:45:18 +0100, Scope <> wrote:

    >This must be a first, something you and Ivor actually agree on. ;-)

    We do agree on one or two other things also like atrocious 0870/1 etc
    numbers to be honest the only thing I do not agree with Ivor on is
    constant promoting and backing up of Sipgate and finding never ending
    excuses for Sipgate's inability to provide a constant 24/7 worthwhile
    voip service .
    , Apr 9, 2006
  14. Gul Dukat

    Gul Dukat Guest

    On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 11:29:45 GMT, wrote:

    >And just why would anyone except stupid kids want damned text messages
    >I have God only knows how many free off peak text messages which are
    >never used ,why can't they give something of use like a pound a month
    >of line rental or something .

    Hey!! I didn't say it was a good thing :-(
    Gul Dukat, Apr 9, 2006
  15. Gul Dukat

    andy Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "PhilT" <> wrote in message
    > > Gul Dukat wrote:
    > >
    > > > I understand that with some providers any remaining
    > > > calling credit expires if not used after 120 days from
    > > > the date of purchase. I am in the situation of spending
    > > > time out of the country, sometimes for several months
    > > > at a time.

    > > take it with you ?

    > There is that, of course, provided the OP has broadband access where he's
    > going.
    >
    > Ivor

    And even if not, then use call forwarding to where he/she is, like a
    foreign mobile
    andy, Apr 10, 2006