    the camera is much cheaper then a similer camera with 6-5 MP with the
    samew lens, so why not reduce it in this one?

    thanks

    roy, Apr 12, 2004

  2. "roy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > i wish to buy the camera, but i heared and read that there is a lot of
    > noise, and i would like to know if someone have good recomedations on
    > it.

    If you _really_ want the Minolta, consider the 5MP A1 instead.

    > also i would like to know if in case i will shoot in 5-6 MP in this
    > camera, will the nise reduce or not, the reason i am asking it cause
    > the camera is much cheaper then a similer camera with 6-5 MP with the
    > samew lens, so why not reduce it in this one?
    >
    > thanks

    I've been carrying out some comapritive tests on the 8MB Minolta A2
    against the 5MP Nikon 5700, as I am thinking of upgrading. In no
    particular order:

    - the electronic viewfinder on the Minolta A2 is great (possibly not the
    A1)

    - pictures from the Nikon are sharper

    - the Nikon has 35 - 280mm zoom, the Minolta 28 - 200mm (equivalent)

    - the JPEG compression on the Minolta is not as good as on the Nikon

    - the mechanical zoom ring on the Minolta is nice

    - the macro capabilities of the Nikon are better

    - the Minolta has anti-shale, which may work, but at the sort of exposures
    where I need it (1/4 - 1 second) it said "sorry, exposure too long for
    anti-shake"

    - the LCD finder on the Nikon is more flexible

    - the EVF on the Minolta is more flexible

    - the auto-focus problems on the Nikon are exaggerated

    - there are software faults on the A2 which existed on the A1 and haven't
    been fixed

    - there is more noise from the A2, but you might not notice it when
    viewing normal prints at a normal viewing distance

    If I were you, I would look at the 5MP cameras, because of the lower cost,
    and perhaps the lower noise if it bothers you. In general, the
    Nikon/Minolta/Canon/Sony (perhaps) cameras in the same price bracket all
    all good in their own ways. Read the reviews, and if one of the problems
    noted with a particular model is a real issue for you, don't buy that
    model.

    I really had hoped that the Minolta A2 would be a substantial advance on
    the Nikon 5700, but in many ways it is not!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Apr 12, 2004

  3. roy