    for SP2 to be released for XP x64 too?

    And has anyone had success using Norton AntiVirus 2005 under XP x64?

    Hope anyone can clear up some of these questions. Thanks in advance.

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9yYmVuIEFuZGVyc2Vu?=, May 17, 2005

  2. Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and x64-based versions of Windows Server
    2003 operating systems do not support most 16-bit applications.

    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and x64-based versions of Windows Server
    2003 operating systems do not support 32-bit device drivers. Applications
    that depend on 32-bit device drivers will not function correctly and might
    cause an error during an installation or operation. Most 32-bit antivirus
    programs are affected and should not be installed on computers that are
    running these operating systems.

    The Service Pack 1 included with XP Pro x64 is built off the Windows Server
    2003 SP1 code base (3790), so they share the same security features such as
    the new and improved Windows Firewall.

    Norton AntiVirus 2005 does not run on x64, but the recently released
    Symantec AntiVirus 10 does.

    From bigbruva:
    Try this page for a list of AV software that works on 64bit Windows:

    http://wiki.planetamd64.com/index.php/Antivirus_software

    Just note that they do not differentiate between WinXP and WinServer 2003 it
    is just 64 bit compatibility they are listing

    --

    Andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    "Torben Andersen" <Torben > wrote in
    message news:...

    Andre Da Costa, May 17, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?VG9yYmVuIEFuZGVyc2Vu?=

    roman modic Guest

    Hello.

    "Torben Andersen" <Torben > wrote in
    message news:...
    > Can XP x64 run 16-bit applications too? I haven't been able to find any
    > information regarding this.

    No. But you can use free DosBox emulation.
    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

    You will find latest Windows builds here:
    http://cvscompile.aep-emu.de/dosbox.htm

    Another option would be commercial VMware 5.0:
    http://www.vmware.com/support/ws5/doc/releasenotes_ws5.html

    Third possibility could be Bochs (haven't tried it yet):
    http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

    Best regards,
    Roman

    roman modic, May 18, 2005
  4. Andre's answer is very complete.

    No on 16bit, no on SP2 (until it release for Windows 2003), and yes there
    are AV's out there that run, Symantec is working on one now.

    Joseph Conway [MSFT], May 18, 2005
  5. Torben Andersen wrote:
    > Can XP x64 run 16-bit applications too? I haven't been able to find any
    > information regarding this.
    >
    > And does the XP x64 SP1 equal the 32-bit XP SP2? Or do we still have to wait
    > for SP2 to be released for XP x64 too?
    >
    > And has anyone had success using Norton AntiVirus 2005 under XP x64?
    >
    > Hope anyone can clear up some of these questions. Thanks in advance.

    Torben,

    Windows XP 64 does not support any 16 bit applications. You also
    will not be able to run Norton Anti-Virus without getting the
    corporate edition for the time being. Not all 32 bit programs
    will run under XP 64 Professional. If a program uses a low level
    driver to access the hardware, it will need a 64 bit driver.
    That being said, you could run VMWare 5.0 for those 32 bit
    programs because you could then run the regular XP 32 bit version
    in a virtual session.

    Regards,

    Michael Gould

    Michael Gould, May 18, 2005
  6. Michael Gould <> wrote:

    > Windows XP 64 does not support any 16 bit applications. You also
    > will not be able to run Norton Anti-Virus without getting the
    > corporate edition for the time being. Not all 32 bit programs
    > will run under XP 64 Professional. If a program uses a low level
    > driver to access the hardware, it will need a 64 bit driver.
    > That being said, you could run VMWare 5.0 for those 32 bit
    > programs because you could then run the regular XP 32 bit version
    > in a virtual session.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Michael Gould

    Just remember that you need a valid licence to install XP in VMWare.

    Cheers

    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa

    Christian Hougardy \(MS MVP XP\), May 19, 2005
  7. Christian,

    Isn't that sort of implied for all prodcts? <G>

    Regards

    Michael Gould, May 19, 2005
  8. Michael Gould <> wrote:
    > Christian,
    >
    > Isn't that sort of implied for all prodcts? <G>
    >
    > Regards

    Hi Michael,

    Yes, it is indeed. But the question of the need of a licence for OS runing
    on a virtual machine comes back regularly on the newsgroups :)
    So, just in case ....

    Cheers

    Christian Hougardy \(MS MVP XP\), May 19, 2005