question RE: Word & education

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by Ron, Jun 20, 2004.

  1. Ron

    Ron Guest

    Hi,

    I know a 6th grade public school teacher who would like
    to try to use MS Word Spell/Grammer checker as a teaching
    tool.

    Her idea is that each time the kids "spell check" a
    document the mistakes the students make (spelling,
    grammer, punctuation, ect.) will be captured in some way
    (can anyone tell me how she might do this?).

    Her intent is to keep a "portfolio" of each student's
    mistakes "log". She will then create individual learning
    plans for each student's weaknesses, as shown by the
    student's "portfolio".

    Is this reasonable, do-able, and has anyone done anything
    like this before?

    Any suggestions that you have would be most appreciated.

    thanks,
    Ron
    ps. if you cc your reply to my personal email then it
    will help.
    Ron, Jun 20, 2004

  2. Ron

    Liddle Feesh Guest

    "Ron" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I know a 6th grade public school teacher who would like
    > to try to use MS Word Spell/Grammer checker as a teaching
    > tool.
    >
    > Her idea is that each time the kids "spell check" a
    > document the mistakes the students make (spelling,
    > grammer, punctuation, ect.) will be captured in some way
    > (can anyone tell me how she might do this?).
    >
    > Her intent is to keep a "portfolio" of each student's
    > mistakes "log". She will then create individual learning
    > plans for each student's weaknesses, as shown by the
    > student's "portfolio".
    >
    > Is this reasonable, do-able, and has anyone done anything
    > like this before?

    As far as I am aware, this is not strictly possible with VBA in versions up
    till 2000. It could be possible by scripting VBA to output the document to a
    text file, and manually parsing this for incorrectly spelt words.

    In other words - Yes, there is a way, No, there isn't a built in mechanism
    for this that I know of, and it will probably be too expensive to hire third
    party services to do this for you.

    Would there be a demand for an application that does this? And how much
    would you pay for it?

    --

    Liddle Feesh
    *fap fap fap fap*
    Liddle Feesh, Jun 21, 2004

  3. Ron

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for your suggestions.

    I was thinking that at a bare minimum the teacher could
    instruct her kids to do a screen print and paste it into
    a file each time they do a spell check. I know this
    method isn't elegant, but it would be a starting point to
    get the job done.

    Rather than a screen print, is it possible to copy all
    the text in the spellcheck window and paste that in to a
    document?

    There was mention of the VBA. Can anyone tell me a
    little more about VBA?

    Ron

    Guest, Jun 22, 2004