Question re: Vonage RT31P2 router / ATA

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by JM, Oct 8, 2006.

  1. JM

    JM Guest

    Vonage sent me a Linksys RT31P2 router for my most recent VoIP line.
    Because of the layout of the building, wiring, etc, I need to place the
    Linksys in a back office, a long way from where the cable modem resides. I
    have network access in the room.

    My question is: Can I connect the RT31P2 to my network and make it work in
    switch or bridge mode, so that the PC connected to it can remain on the LAN?
    I was not able to figure out how to make this work, so I connected a small
    switch in the room, then connected the RT31PT to one port on the switch and
    connected the PC to another port on the switch. The phone port doesn't seem
    to care how the Linksys interfaces to the LAN, but the LAN ports do.

    I can provide more detail for those unfamiliar with the RT31P2 who might be
    able to help me work something out. For those who've used the RT31P2, I
    think you might understand why this is a problem.

    Or perhaps I'm just too ignorant to make it work without help.

    thank you,

    jm
    JM, Oct 8, 2006