Question re restoring WinXP Ghost images

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jimmy Dean, Aug 11, 2006.

  1. Jimmy Dean

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    Works fine if you are restoring to the same HD used to source the
    image. But if that HD utterly fails so that you must replace it with a
    new HD, restoring Ghost to the new HD creates a WinXP which won't boot
    - it either stops with various errors while loading (e.g. bad hal.sys)
    or simply freezes.

    The way around this is to "reseal" the WinXP with files from
    DEPLOY.CAB before imaging the original WinXP. However this seems to
    work only if you can use the original CD (or equivalent) which was
    used to install WinXP in the first place. A problem if one can't find
    the original CD or doesn't know what it was e.g. WinXP
    Home/Pro/OEM/Retail etc.

    Booting from a WinXP CD and trying to "repair" doesn't work as the
    restored imaged HD is not seen to have a valid WinXP. The Repair
    option simply isn't available.

    Is there any 3rd party util which can help in this situation?

    tia
    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Aug 11, 2006

  2. Jimmy Dean

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-08-10, Jimmy Dean <> wrote:
    [snip]
    > However this seems to
    > work only if you can use the original CD (or equivalent) which was
    > used to install WinXP in the first place. A problem if one can't find
    > the original CD or doesn't know what it was e.g. WinXP
    > Home/Pro/OEM/Retail etc.

    You need to have the original or the CD/DVD you burn from some OEM
    installs.

    > Booting from a WinXP CD and trying to "repair" doesn't work as the
    > restored imaged HD is not seen to have a valid WinXP. The Repair
    > option simply isn't available.

    Install from the WinXP CD and then let Ghost sort it out.

    > Is there any 3rd party util which can help in this situation?

    No third party can supply the MS OS, which is what it seems that you
    need.

    --
    Variables don't; constants aren't.

    Jimchip, Aug 11, 2006

  3. Howdy!

    "Jimmy Dean" <> wrote in message
    > Works fine if you are restoring to the same HD used to source the
    > image. But if that HD utterly fails so that you must replace it with a
    > new HD, restoring Ghost to the new HD creates a WinXP which won't boot
    > - it either stops with various errors while loading (e.g. bad hal.sys)
    > or simply freezes.

    <frowns> It might help if you specify which version of GHOST and
    how you're creating the image. Because, you see, I do this almost daily
    (well, at least 3 times a week) on the bench for customers, and I don't have
    this problem.

    Presuming you mean "restoring the images", that is.

    I'll add that I still use GHOST 7.5 as my preferred version - the
    latest version isn't GHOST, it's DriveImage with a GHOST label on it (think
    about finding out that your new Thunderbird is a relogo'ed Fort Escort ... )

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Aug 13, 2006