    thing. Should I ditch this camera and go to another brand? (What brand
    doesn't do this? Canon? Nikon?)
    Thanks for any input.

    carol, Dec 31, 2006

  2. carol

    Ron Hunter Guest

    carol wrote:
    > I got a Kodak C533 digital camera for Christmas, but I've noticed that
    > there is a significant delay after you push the shutter button, so the
    > camera is always "too late" to capture the moment - compared with all
    > the film cameras I've owned. I've tried the "sport" mode for objects
    > in motion - thinking it would be different - but it does the same
    > thing. Should I ditch this camera and go to another brand? (What brand
    > doesn't do this? Canon? Nikon?)
    > Thanks for any input.

    Read the manual!
    Most digital cameras require a different technique for taking pictures
    than film.
    First, frame your shot. Then depress the shutter button 1/2 way, and
    wait for the ready light to come on. The squeeze the button the rest of
    the way down. YOu will find that the picture is taken quite promptly then.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 31, 2006

  3. carol

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>, carol
    <> wrote:

    > I got a Kodak C533 digital camera for Christmas, but I've noticed that
    > there is a significant delay after you push the shutter button, so the
    > camera is always "too late" to capture the moment - compared with all
    > the film cameras I've owned. I've tried the "sport" mode for objects
    > in motion - thinking it would be different - but it does the same
    > thing. Should I ditch this camera and go to another brand? (What brand
    > doesn't do this? Canon? Nikon?)
    > Thanks for any input.

    This is inherent in virtually every P&S camera out there. The
    [simplified] reason behind it is that to give you a live back display
    on the P&S camera, the sensor has to be active and relaying data to
    that display. Then when you go to take the picture, the sensor has to
    be shut off, its buffer (electonic memory) has to be flushed (cleared
    or zeroed) and then has to be renabled to actually take the picture.
    All this takes time. In a film camera (or a DSLR), all that has to
    happen is that the shutter snaps open and closed again.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Dec 31, 2006
  4. carol

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    carol <> wrote:

    > I got a Kodak C533 digital camera for Christmas, but I've noticed that
    > there is a significant delay after you push the shutter button, so the
    > camera is always "too late" to capture the moment - compared with all
    > the film cameras I've owned. I've tried the "sport" mode for objects
    > in motion - thinking it would be different - but it does the same
    > thing. Should I ditch this camera and go to another brand? (What brand
    > doesn't do this? Canon? Nikon?)
    > Thanks for any input.

    The delay is often due to the camera's autofocus. If you have a manual
    focus setting, the delay will be reduced considerably.

    Stewy, Jan 1, 2007