    like a pimple etc and copy over that with a nearby colour - from
    elsewhere on the face, for example. Could somebody recommend a good
    basic (and inexpensive) package that would do all this?

    Robin MacNab, Aug 7, 2004

  2. Robin MacNab

    Petr Guest

    Adobe Photoshop Elements. Basic version of Photoshop. Works quite well as
    long as you don't need to severely edit a photograph.

    Petr, Aug 7, 2004

  3. Robin MacNab

    wayne Guest

    Paint shop pro from JASC is usally highly rated and priced reasonable

    It is 89 dollars at amazon then there are 50 bucks in rebates!

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...re/B00008ZGOE/rebate-info/002-9836723-4308025

    Wayne

    wayne, Aug 7, 2004
  4. Robin MacNab

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: (Robin MacNab)

    >Could somebody recommend a good
    >basic (and inexpensive) package that would do all this?

    Elements ... you can often find it for $50 or so, and it's shipped free with
    several products, like some Canon dSLR cameras.

    Bill Hilton, Aug 7, 2004
  5. Robin MacNab

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Robin MacNab wrote:
    > I am new to digital photography and have just begun to experiment with
    > editing etc. I understand the Adobe Photo Shop is the best software
    > package for editing, but I think that is expensive and probably a lot
    > more than I need. I basically just need a "quick fix" feature, and a
    > automatic red eye fixer, plus a bit of cropping capability. One
    > feature I would really like to have is the ability to remove a spot
    > like a pimple etc and copy over that with a nearby colour - from
    > elsewhere on the face, for example. Could somebody recommend a good
    > basic (and inexpensive) package that would do all this?

    Try Photoshop Elements. Runs about $53 at Sam's Club.
    Does just what you want. There IS a 'learning curve', so be ready to
    invest some time in learning the basics of editing.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 7, 2004
  6. Robin MacNab wrote:
    > I am new to digital photography and have just begun to experiment with
    > editing etc. I understand the Adobe Photo Shop is the best software

    []
    > Could somebody recommend a good
    > basic (and inexpensive) package that would do all this?

    JASC's Paint Shop Pro.

    Version 8 is current and version 9 is in beta right now - it includes
    red-eye removal and some new noise reduction tools for digital camera use.
    Very friendly user support forums (newgroups) as well. PSP9 beta is a
    free download so why not give it a try?

    http://www.jasc.com/community/beta/pspdownload.asp

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 7, 2004
  7. Robin MacNab

    YoYo Guest

    Robin try the program IrfanView it is
    free and does what you need and more.
    http://www.irfanview.com

    YoYo, Aug 7, 2004
  8. Robin MacNab

    Ron Hunter Guest

    YoYo wrote:
    > Robin try the program IrfanView it is
    > free and does what you need and more.
    > http://www.irfanview.com

    Irfanview is a great program, and I use it daily, but it will NOT do
    what the OP requires.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 7, 2004
  9. "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    wrote in message news:NU1Rc.790$...
    > Robin MacNab wrote:
    > > I am new to digital photography and have just begun to experiment with
    > > editing etc. I understand the Adobe Photo Shop is the best software

    > []
    > > Could somebody recommend a good
    > > basic (and inexpensive) package that would do all this?

    > JASC's Paint Shop Pro.
    >
    > Version 8 is current and version 9 is in beta right now - it includes
    > red-eye removal and some new noise reduction tools for digital camera use.
    > Very friendly user support forums (newgroups) as well. PSP9 beta is a
    > free download so why not give it a try?
    >
    > http://www.jasc.com/community/beta/pspdownload.asp
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Beta versions are often buggy. Instead, download v.8 of PSP for a free
    30-day trial.
    PSP has simple steps for what you want, and oyu can learn more sophisticated
    editing later if you like. If you decide to buy it, you can often find a
    greatly reduced price online, from vendors like CompUSA. Now that v.9 is
    oin beta, the buying v.8 will usually allow you to get v.9 free.

    Marvin Margoshes, Aug 7, 2004
  10. If you want a free one that goes in the direction of Photoshop: Gimp.

    Quite cheap (regarding what it can do) and especially useful for the all-day
    work on digital photos ("global" corrections and a database to sort and
    refind them): Thumbs Plus 2000.

    -Michael

    Michael Schnell, Aug 7, 2004
  11. Robin MacNab

    Matt Guest

    On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 08:16:21 -0500, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    >YoYo wrote:
    >> Robin try the program IrfanView it is
    >> free and does what you need and more.
    >> http://www.irfanview.com
    >>

    >Irfanview is a great program, and I use it daily, but it will NOT do
    >what the OP requires.

    Irfanview is a viewer/modifier, but not an editor.

    Two free ones trhat are well worth looking at are:

    1. http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/serif/ph/ph5/index.asp
    Serif Photoplus 5.5 free - the only real irritation is you have to
    register this "free" program, and you will get a not excessive amount
    of marketing email - only from direct associates .

    2. http://www.photofiltre.com
    PhotoFiltre - a nice little editor, and no funny business.
    Quite good at adding frames, usung the Photomasque option and a frame
    plus a texture.
    No layers, and not much automation - best way to tacle red-eye is to
    use the circular selection on the spot, and then use hue/saturation to
    desaturate the colour from it

    The other challenger to Photoshop Elements, is Paintshop Pro - PSP8
    has some pretty neat features, and tends to be easier to use than PS
    Elements, never mind full Photoshop.

    PSP8 has more features than PSP7 - but a significant redesign makes it
    a rather tough upgrade for anyone who was used to PSP7.

    New to PSP8 is the mesh deform, and an easy method of correcting
    converging verticals - mark a trapezoid that should be rectangular,
    and correct, no more guessing
    ..
    --
    I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
    http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles

    If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!

    Matt, Aug 7, 2004
  12. Marvin Margoshes wrote:
    []
    > Beta versions are often buggy. Instead, download v.8 of PSP for a
    > free 30-day trial.
    > PSP has simple steps for what you want, and oyu can learn more
    > sophisticated editing later if you like. If you decide to buy it,
    > you can often find a greatly reduced price online, from vendors like
    > CompUSA. Now that v.9 is oin beta, the buying v.8 will usually allow
    > you to get v.9 free.

    Actually, PSP9 seems remarkably bug free.

    As you say, though, you can buy PSP8 now and get PSP9 for free.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 7, 2004
  13. Well for free you can try the GIMP www.gimp.org. Photoshop Elements, a
    caled down version of it's big brother can be had for about US$50.00

    Geoff Hankerson, Aug 13, 2004