Question re:ATM OAM in a Cisco MGX

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Sprite, Apr 30, 2004.

  1. Sprite

    Sprite Guest

    Hi,
    I need some information regarding the ATM OAM behaviour on the Cisco
    MGX 8850 switch, as I don't have the switch right now in my
    possession.

    In my example setup, I have an ATM port on the MGX connected to the
    port of another device. On the MGX port I want to have a PVC
    configured with ATM OAM enabled, so that AIS/RDI/CC/Loopbacks are all
    available for use.

    If I administratively shut down the subinterface for the PVC (using
    the 'shutdown' command),

    1) Does the PVC go to INACTIVE (administratively down) or DOWN
    (operationally down) state?
    2) What happens to the F5 OAM functionality?
    Specifically, during this condition,
    - does the PVC go into VC-ETE state?
    - will VC-RDI cells get transmitted to the remote end?
    - will it be possible to do OAM ATM pings from this PVC to the
    remote end?
    - Is the MGX able to reply to OAM ATM pings from the remote end?
    - are stats tracked for receiving OAM cells, i.e. does the stats
    counter increment or just ignore the cells?

    I would really appreciate any help.

    Thanks,
    - Dan

    Sprite, Apr 30, 2004

  2. Sprite

    Sprite Guest

    Oops.. for the first point, I meant "VC-AIS", not VC-ETE.

    Sprite, May 1, 2004