    if I want to perform a boot time scan? I don't want 2 A/V's running at
    the same time.

    Thanks :)

    Muse Groups, Jan 14, 2010

  2. Muse Groups

    Mike Easter Guest

    Re: Question re: A/V and Anti-Spyware/Malware programs (do I needboth?)

    Muse Groups wrote:

    > Could someone please tell me why it's necessary to use both a good A/V
    > like Avira, Nod32, etc AND use an anti-spyware program (like Malware
    > Bytes or Spybot).

    Once upon a time the AVs and the antispywares were distinctly separate.

    > Most A/V's claim to remove viruses and adware/malware.

    Some do.

    > And if it's the case that one should use both, I was curious which
    > anti-spyware/malware program had the highest detection rates.

    The detection rates are only one part of the equation; not even
    necessarly the most important part, but one consideration. But I don't
    know of a comparable comparison place for antispyware as there is for AV.

    > And finally, is there a way to install Avast so that I can use it only
    > if I want to perform a boot time scan? I don't want 2 A/V's running at
    > the same time.

    You can install it and turn everything off and when you want to schedule
    a boot time scan, access it and turn that on.

    I just now learned that scheduling the bootscan doesn't work in Win98.
    I already knew that Avast W98 coverage was going to go away soon.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 14, 2010

  3. Muse Groups

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 12:22:11 -0500, Muse Groups wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Could someone please tell me why it's necessary to use both a good A/V
    > like Avira, Nod32, etc AND use an anti-spyware program (like Malware
    > Bytes or Spybot). Most A/V's claim to remove viruses and adware/malware.
    > And if it's the case that one should use both, I was curious which
    > anti-spyware/malware program had the highest detection rates.
    >
    > And finally, is there a way to install Avast so that I can use it only
    > if I want to perform a boot time scan? I don't want 2 A/V's running at
    > the same time.
    >
    > Thanks :)

    Install and run comodo.
    www.comodo.com
    install and run malwarebytes.

    Forget the rest and move on.

    I'm running comodo with windows defender and have had no conflicts.
    Comodo seems to take priority and has a ton more information as to what is
    happening on your machine right now.

    richard, Jan 14, 2010
  4. Muse Groups

    ~BD~ wrote:

    > About Microsoft Security Essentials

    There was a recent debate in alt.comp.freeware about whether or not MSE
    was hard on system resources or not -- there was also a recent
    discussion there concerning its value as a antimalware.

    > runs quietly and efficiently in the
    > background

    Generally, I would say there were mostly positive reports on its value,
    and split on the resource usage between very good and pretty/very bad.
    That's weird.

    The question was (also) raised as to whether or not the resource opinion
    variances were related to the cpu (!?) - asin AMD w/ MSE was 'different'
    (more problematic) than Intel + MSE.

    That seems pretty crazy to me.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 14, 2010
  5. Muse Groups

    chuckcar Guest

    Muse Groups <> wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > Could someone please tell me why it's necessary to use both a good A/V
    > like Avira, Nod32, etc AND use an anti-spyware program (like Malware
    > Bytes or Spybot). Most A/V's claim to remove viruses and
    > adware/malware. And if it's the case that one should use both, I was
    > curious which anti-spyware/malware program had the highest detection
    > rates.
    >
    > And finally, is there a way to install Avast so that I can use it only
    > if I want to perform a boot time scan? I don't want 2 A/V's running at
    > the same time.
    >
    > Thanks :)

    By all means disable any background anti-malware software if you 1)never
    open attachments b) never click on popups c) no one else on the computer
    does so and d) you (and anyone else using the computer) know exactly how
    to spot any malware and never allow it to do it's thing. Otherwise,
    you're fighting what they're there for. However you *don't* need continual
    AV scans in the background. If you don't know or can't understand what each
    background task does, leave them be.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 14, 2010
  6. Muse Groups

    chuckcar Guest

    Re: Question re: A/V and Anti-Spyware/Malware programs (do I need both?)

    Mike Easter <> wrote in

    > ~BD~ wrote:
    >
    >> About Microsoft Security Essentials

    > There was a recent debate in alt.comp.freeware about whether or not
    > MSE was hard on system resources or not -- there was also a recent
    > discussion there concerning its value as a antimalware.
    >
    >> runs quietly and efficiently in the
    >> background

    > Generally, I would say there were mostly positive reports on its
    > value, and split on the resource usage between very good and
    > pretty/very bad. That's weird.
    >
    > The question was (also) raised as to whether or not the resource
    > opinion variances were related to the cpu (!?) - asin AMD w/ MSE was
    > 'different' (more problematic) than Intel + MSE.
    >
    > That seems pretty crazy to me.

    Perhaps people not aware on what *else* they have running are bringing
    the average down.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 14, 2010
  7. Muse Groups

    chuckcar Guest

    ~BD~ <BoaterDave'.remove'@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in

    > On 14/01/2010 23:35, chuckcar wrote:
    >>
    >> By all means disable any background anti-malware software if you
    >> 1)never open attachments b) never click on popups c) no one else on
    >> the computer does so and d) you (and anyone else using the computer)
    >> know exactly how to spot any malware and never allow it to do it's
    >> thing. Otherwise, you're fighting what they're there for. However you
    >> *don't* need continual AV scans in the background. If you don't know
    >> or can't understand what each background task does, leave them be.
    >>

    > I *don't* know ......... "exactly how to spot any malware" :-(
    >

    > Please can you give me some tips on just *how* to do that?

    Sorry, no deal. Something you have to learn on your own and until then
    rely on the above safe practices and a firewall program along with OS
    security updates.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 15, 2010