    retrieve the file. Cany anyone advise me on how to open and / or print
    the file that I originally Printed to File? Thanks!!
    BN

    big note, Sep 16, 2006

  2. big note

    SgtMinor Guest

    big note wrote:
    > To save printing paper and ink I would like to start using the "Print To
    > File" option for various images. I save the item as a file but when I
    > click on the file to retrieve or view, I'm asked to select a program to
    > retrieve the file. Cany anyone advise me on how to open and / or print
    > the file that I originally Printed to File? Thanks!!
    > BN

    You could use a utility like PrnPrint:
    http://www.magma.ca/~russrite/PrnPrint/index.html

    It's probably a lot simpler to use PDFCreator or some other free
    pdf maker to save paper. Instead of printing to paper you print
    to a pdf file. Any computer with Adobe Acrobat Reader will be
    able to open that file, and you can attach it to an email as well.
    Get PDFCreator from:
    http://www.pdfforge.org/products/pdfcreator/download

    SgtMinor, Sep 16, 2006

  3. big note wrote:
    > To save printing paper and ink I would like to start using the "Print To
    > File" option for various images. I save the item as a file but when I

    What do you perceive as the advantage of "print to file" over leaving
    the image in its original graphics format?

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 16, 2006
  4. big note

    big note Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    > big note wrote:
    >> To save printing paper and ink I would like to start using the "Print
    >> To File" option for various images. I save the item as a file but
    >> when I

    > What do you perceive as the advantage of "print to file" over leaving
    > the image in its original graphics format?

    Print to File is an option provided; the page does not save as a JPG but
    can be saved as an HTML file. However, it does not retrieve properly as
    an HTML.

    I'm just trying to find the proper way to retrieve Print to File.
    Thanks.
    BN

    big note, Sep 16, 2006
  5. big note

    Ron Martell Guest

    big note <> wrote:

    >To save printing paper and ink I would like to start using the "Print To
    >File" option for various images. I save the item as a file but when I
    >click on the file to retrieve or view, I'm asked to select a program to
    >retrieve the file. Cany anyone advise me on how to open and / or print
    >the file that I originally Printed to File? Thanks!!
    >BN

    What program are you using that has the "Print to file" option built
    in?

    One solution would be to use PrimoPDF which installs as a printer.
    When you select this as the printer it gives you several choices
    regarding the quality (and therefore the size) of the PDF file to
    create.
    http://www.primopdf.com

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, Sep 16, 2006
  6. big note

    Mike Easter Guest

    big note wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark
    >> big note wrote:

    >>> To save printing paper and ink I would like to start using the
    >>> "Print To File" option for various images. I save the item as a
    >>> file but when I

    Why don't you start at the beginning? Do you or do you not have a
    graphic file in a graphic file format which you are viewing and
    selecting 'print to file' from some menu within the viewing program's
    print function?

    If you do *not* have a file in a graphic format, just exactly what *do*
    you have?

    >> What do you perceive as the advantage of "print to file" over leaving
    >> the image in its original graphics format?

    > Print to File is an option provided;

    print to file is an option provided which follows what sequence while
    performing what operation in what application?

    > the page does not save as a JPG

    page? Are we working with a webpage view in a browser?

    > but can be saved as an HTML file. However, it does not retrieve
    > properly as an HTML.

    You should definitely start at the beginning and talk about what you are
    doing and what you are using to do it and what you are trying to save or
    print to file.

    > I'm just trying to find the proper way to retrieve Print to File.

    Before you go down the road of print to file, let's see if we can figure
    out a way to save whatever it is you are trying to save.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 16, 2006
  7. big note

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-09-16, big note <> wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote in
    >
    >> big note wrote:
    >>> To save printing paper and ink I would like to start using the "Print
    >>> To File" option for various images. I save the item as a file but
    >>> when I

    >> What do you perceive as the advantage of "print to file" over leaving
    >> the image in its original graphics format?
    >>

    > Print to File is an option provided; the page does not save as a JPG but
    > can be saved as an HTML file. However, it does not retrieve properly as
    > an HTML.

    Page? Do you mean a web page along with all its embedded images and any
    other printable elements? Depending on which web browser you are using,
    it is possible to 'save' all that data to your hard disc and then use your
    browser to view it again. How well that works in practice does depend to
    some extent on how the page is constructed, as well as on the abilities
    and options of your browser. It isn't as easy as it sounds, as anything
    that is fetched from elsewhere to be shown in the page (eg images) has to
    be saved to your computer and then the HTML of the page itself has to be
    re-written so that your local copy will fetch the images etc from where
    they are on your computer. Different browsers approach that problem
    differently, some more succesfully than others. (Opera seems to make a
    fair job of it; 'File - Save as..' and select 'web archive (single file)
    ..mht' as the 'file type).

    > I'm just trying to find the proper way to retrieve Print to File.
    > Thanks.
    > BN

    Send the file to your printer? There are 'postscript readers' that can
    read the files that are sent to a 'postscript printer' and display them on
    a monitor, but if your printer doesn't use postscript files than that
    won't work.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Sep 16, 2006
  8. big note wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote in
    >
    >> big note wrote:
    >>> To save printing paper and ink I would like to start using the "Print
    >>> To File" option for various images. I save the item as a file but
    >>> when I

    >> What do you perceive as the advantage of "print to file" over leaving
    >> the image in its original graphics format?
    >>

    > Print to File is an option provided; the page does not save as a JPG but
    > can be saved as an HTML file. However, it does not retrieve properly as
    > an HTML.

    I know. That was not my question.

    What do you perceive as the advantage of "print to file" over leaveing
    the image in its original graphics format.

    > I'm just trying to find the proper way to retrieve Print to File.

    I ask again, but more simply: why?

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 16, 2006
  9. big note

    Vanguard Guest

    "big note" <> wrote in message
    > To save printing paper and ink I would like to start using the
    > "Print To
    > File" option for various images. I save the item as a file but when
    > click on the file to retrieve or view, I'm asked to select a program
    > retrieve the file. Cany anyone advise me on how to open and / or
    > print
    > the file that I originally Printed to File? Thanks!!
    > BN

    Why print to file when you already have a perfectly - and usable -
    file for the image in the first place? Just what would printing an
    image file to save into another file give you?

    Vanguard, Sep 16, 2006
  10. big note

    Vanguard Guest

    "big note" <> wrote in message
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote in
    >
    >> big note wrote:
    >>> To save printing paper and ink I would like to start using the
    >>> "Print
    >>> To File" option for various images. I save the item as a file but
    >>> when I

    >> What do you perceive as the advantage of "print to file" over
    >> leaving
    >> the image in its original graphics format?
    >>

    > Print to File is an option provided; the page does not save as a
    > JPG but
    > can be saved as an HTML file. However, it does not retrieve
    > properly as
    > an HTML.
    >
    > I'm just trying to find the proper way to retrieve Print to File.
    > Thanks.
    > BN

    So you are trying to steal someone else's content from their web site?
    So why doesn't right-clicking on the image in the page and using Save
    Target As work for you? Hmm, maybe they are using Flash to hide their
    content from thieves and that's why you can't get it. You could use a
    screen capture program to snag what displays on the screen but then
    you only get image that can be sized to show within the limits of your
    screen.

    Vanguard, Sep 16, 2006
  11. Vanguard wrote:
    > "big note" <> wrote in message
    >> To save printing paper and ink I would like to start using the
    >> "Print To
    >> File" option for various images. I save the item as a file but when
    >> click on the file to retrieve or view, I'm asked to select a program
    >> retrieve the file. Cany anyone advise me on how to open and / or
    >> print
    >> the file that I originally Printed to File? Thanks!!
    >> BN

    > Why print to file when you already have a perfectly - and usable -
    > file for the image in the first place? Just what would printing an
    > image file to save into another file give you?

    I asked about the advantages. He skirted the issue. I don't think he
    knows any reasons, at least that he wants to admit.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 16, 2006
  12. big note

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 16:10:39 GMT, big note <> wrote:

    >To save printing paper and ink I would like to start using the "Print To
    >File" option for various images. I save the item as a file but when I
    >click on the file to retrieve or view, I'm asked to select a program to
    >retrieve the file. Cany anyone advise me on how to open and / or print
    >the file that I originally Printed to File? Thanks!!
    >BN

    As you can see from the other responses, you need to be as specific as
    possible in framing your question.

    If you are trying to save a webpage, you can try Save as "web archive"
    format - will attempt to save the webpage as it appears as a single
    page.

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Sep 17, 2006
  13. big note

    big note Guest

    That makes sense (not printing to a file if I already have a useable
    image file); but how do I then capture the image file? In this
    particular case, I wanted to save a chart on a web page. It is not a
    jpeg.

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    big note, Sep 17, 2006
  14. big note

    big note Guest

    I'm not stealing anything. I'm transacting business on line. Instead of
    printing the receipts on paper, I want to save them electronically. It
    seems simple to print to file and find the correct way to retrieve the
    Print File so it is legible. I can retrieve the print file but it is in
    code. Everyone seems to be making this very complicated but I appreciate
    the efforts to help. I'm just using the print command in Windows and it
    gives an option to Print to File. If I use this option, how do I
    retrieve and read the file?

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in news:eehqee$70g$1
    @emma.aioe.org:

    big note, Sep 17, 2006
  15. big note

    Mike Easter Guest

    big note wrote:
    > That makes sense (not printing to a file if I already have a useable
    > image file); but how do I then capture the image file? In this
    > particular case, I wanted to save a chart on a web page. It is not a
    > jpeg.

    There are a lot of different ways to capture an image file from a
    webpage. Sometimes the best way to do it is to R click the graphic
    element to use the R click context menu to aid in determining the nature
    of the graphic vis the page. If the graphic R click produces a R click
    context menu which includes 'save picture as' then several different
    options develop, which includes saving the graphic file in isolation.

    There are so many different kinds of options which can unfold from the R
    click, including choosing Properties and selecting all of the properties
    link and pasting that into a browser address line to aid in isolating
    something.

    Another strategy is to use the editing features of the mailuser agent
    which is integrated with the browser, such as the relationship between
    OE and IE's rendering engine. If you use IE's File/ Send/ Page by
    email, then your mua OE is enabled and the page is in the editable
    portion of an email. That allows crude editing of the page or a
    separate opportunity to R click an image and copy it and paste it into a
    graphic viewing and manipulating and converting application.

    There are a variety of reasons that such strategies do not produce the
    desired result.

    Sometimes the alternative which should be chosen is to shift the view to
    full screen and use a print-screen function to capture an image to the
    clipboard and then paste the image into a graphics viewer for
    manipulation or cropping or saving as a graphic filetype.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 17, 2006
  16. big note wrote:
    > I'm not stealing anything. I'm transacting business on line. Instead of
    > printing the receipts on paper, I want to save them electronically. It
    > seems simple to print to file and find the correct way to retrieve the
    > Print File so it is legible. I can retrieve the print file but it is in
    > code. Everyone seems to be making this very complicated but I appreciate
    > the efforts to help. I'm just using the print command in Windows and it
    > gives an option to Print to File. If I use this option, how do I
    > retrieve and read the file?

    In what format are you saving it? Use a program appropriate for that
    format.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 17, 2006
  17. big note

    Vanguard Guest

    "big note" <> wrote in message
    > I'm not stealing anything. I'm transacting business on line.
    > Instead of
    > printing the receipts on paper, I want to save them electronically.
    > It
    > seems simple to print to file and find the correct way to retrieve
    > the
    > Print File so it is legible. I can retrieve the print file but it
    > is in
    > code. Everyone seems to be making this very complicated but I
    > appreciate
    > the efforts to help. I'm just using the print command in Windows
    > and it
    > gives an option to Print to File. If I use this option, how do I
    > retrieve and read the file?

    One, if you perform any transaction online, the other party (i.e.,
    seller) should be giving you a receipt. Often it is a web page
    showing your purchase. So you save that page. In order not to have
    links in the saved page which would expire and later be unusable, save
    the page in .mht format. This saves the page to a single file. If
    you save it as HTML, you end up with the index page containing all the
    links to files and a folder with all the linked objects, and that's a
    mess.

    If you are on an HTTPS (secured) page that doesn't let you save the
    web page or it is one that is generated on-the-fly by server-side
    scripts then the seller should be provided a "print view" page so you
    can print it or they should send you an e-mail with the sales receipt.
    As mentioned, you could use a screen capture program to save the
    display of the web page with the receipt to an image file.

    Print to file won't work if save web page won't work. If you cannot
    download the content of the page by saving it then you won't get that
    same undownloadable content when you save it to a print file. As
    already mentioned, if you still want to use the Print function,
    install a PDF file utility that lets you print to a PDF file. I use
    PDFCreator (and have use Primo, Cute, and a few others but settled on
    PDFCreator). It adds a printer device (emulated by driver) that you
    print to. The printed document goes to a .pdf file that you can view
    with Adobe's Acrobat Reader.

    The reason why you cannot *view* a print file is that it contains the
    control codes that get sent to the model-specific printer. You can't
    read print codes. Ghostscript can read Postscript-encoded print files
    and they have their Ghostview but it sucks for reviewing documents and
    why printing to a PDF printer to generate the .pdf file is much
    better. You told the application (i.e., browser) to *print* to a
    printer but put the print code in a file so that's exactly what it
    did. It created a file with all the printer codes in it that you
    would later copy to the printer. However, as already said, if you
    cannot successfully download a web page using File -> Save As then you
    will also not be able to create a [complete] print file of that web
    page.

    There are several techniques to ensure that users don't have a local
    copy of a web page in their browser's web cache. Just because it
    shows up in the browser doesn't mean that you have a local copy of it
    to print or save. If you are doing business online then make sure the
    other party knows how to do business online. They should be providing
    you with a "print view" page that you can print, allow you to save all
    the content of the sales receipt page to a file, or send you a sales
    receipt via email. If they don't, call them up and demand proof of
    the transaction, and pester them everytime and voice the same
    complaint via e-mail to push them to actually be more business-like
    for online transactions.

    Vanguard, Sep 17, 2006
  18. big note

    Ron Martell Guest

    big note <> wrote:

    >I'm not stealing anything. I'm transacting business on line. Instead of
    >printing the receipts on paper, I want to save them electronically. It
    >seems simple to print to file and find the correct way to retrieve the
    >Print File so it is legible. I can retrieve the print file but it is in
    >code. Everyone seems to be making this very complicated but I appreciate
    >the efforts to help. I'm just using the print command in Windows and it
    >gives an option to Print to File. If I use this option, how do I
    >retrieve and read the file?

    What program are you using to transact the business and prepare the
    receipts? Windows itself does not have these capabilities.

    I suspect that you are not using a "Print to file" option in a
    program, but rather have reconfigured your printer so that the printer
    output is redirected to a file rather than to the printer port.

    In that case your file is a printer image that can only be used to
    actually print the document by sending it to the printer. It cannot
    be read on screen.

    What you need to do is to follow my earlier suggestion about
    installing PrimoPDF and configuring your recept program to print to
    that instead of the printer. That way your receipts will be saved as
    ..PDF files which you can view on screen or print later.

    Ron Martell, Sep 17, 2006