    any ideas are very very welcome!!!!!!

    thanks!
    alex
    Alex Baxendale, Jan 7, 2004

  2. Alex Baxendale

    ICee Guest

    Alex Baxendale wrote:
    > i have an onld pentium 2 based computer 700mhz. and am recently
    > expriencing it going into power save mode and sometimes restarts its
    > self about 2 mims after turning it on! i have reinstalled windows and
    > reset the bios but that hasnt worked!!
    > i'm wondering if it could be a overheating problem?????
    >
    > any ideas are very very welcome!!!!!!
    >
    > thanks!
    > alex

    It's possible it's heat. Open the case, check all fans, especially the
    one on the CPU heatsink, clean dust bunnies as needed. It may also be
    bad capacitors on the motherboard. Look closely for bulges and/or
    discoloration at the tops and bottoms of the caps. Here is a site with
    pictures of bad caps so you know what to look for:
    http://www.motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=images (click to
    enlarge).

    Douglas Adams
    ICee, Jan 8, 2004

  3. Alex Baxendale

    ICee Guest

    ICee, Jan 8, 2004
  4. Virus? Some will make the PC reboot but the overheating is a good
    suggestion. Elcheapo CPU fans go out fast!

    RM

    Robert McHenry, Jan 8, 2004