Question On XP's "Compressed (Zipped) Folder" Application

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Nov 22, 2005.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Just started using XP's "Compressed (Zipped) Folder" application.
    Seems to work just fine, but have two questions regarding:

    a. Every time i call it up to use, it asks me if i want to designate it as
    the default application for zip folders.
    How do i set in just once as the "Default," and don't have to each time
    ?

    b. I have a folder with lots of sub-folders.
    Occasionally, it seems to come across a file name inside this folder
    that it can't handle, and I get an error msg saying so.

    But, if I click on O.K., the zipping of the whole folder just stops
    cold, with nothing showing as having been done; even
    for all the stuff it has no problem with.

    How do I tell it to just disregard the one or two folders that it can't
    handle, and to do the rest ?

    Or, do I have to locate each problem one, and remove it first ?
    Lots of work doing it this way, though.

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Nov 22, 2005

  2. Robert11

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Robert11
    <> wrote:

    > How do I tell it to just disregard the one or two folders that it can't
    > handle, and to do the rest ?
    >
    > Or, do I have to locate each problem one, and remove it first ?
    > Lots of work doing it this way, though.

    It can't ignore the CONTENTS of the folder that you are compressing and
    finish the job -- that makes no sense.
    Like a trash compactor --
    You were asking it to compress a bunch of things into one single
    file-blob.
    It said a couple of those things were going to break if it did.
    So you can't have it continue -- the breakable things are still inside.
    You have to remove them, then you can make a compressed blob.
    Thre is no way for it to compress the junk while ignoring the
    breakables.

    You may not have trouble with a better compression tool.
    There are many online -- just go look for compression/decompression
    tools at your favorite software site.

    Mitch, Nov 22, 2005