    Thanks
    --
    MCP
    LeJon7881, Jun 18, 2009

  2. LeJon7881

    John R Guest

    "LeJon7881" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I took the 70-271 exam last year july and past it. Is it worth spending
    >money
    > and passing the 70-272 exam right now. I know XP is going down this year
    > so
    > my question is how much value will it have? I would love to be MCDST but
    > will
    > that phase out in a couple of months for XP. Also does it expire?
    > Thanks

    MCDST will not expire. It will become useless someday as more and more
    enterprise environments move to Vista and Windows 7. I think however, that
    MCDST will still have value for some time to come. There will always be
    shops that lag behind. Plus, if you get MCDST, you'll have a short upgrade
    path to MCITP:ES. It think it would show more growth on a resume to have
    both MCDST and MCITP:ES, even if the shop is not using XP any longer. It
    shows you've been 'in the game' longer.

    John R
    John R, Jun 19, 2009

  3. LeJon7881

    LeJon7881 Guest

    That does make a lot fo sense. Thanks for your response. I will continue down
    that path.
    --
    MCP

    LeJon7881, Jun 19, 2009
  4. It should not expire. My instructor has an MCDST cert - but he passed it on
    Windows NT 4 or some old OS.

    So, I was assured that Vista and Windows 7 will not deminish our certs.

    G Mail Account, Sep 10, 2009
  5. "G Mail Account" <> wrote in message

    > It should not expire. My instructor has an MCDST cert - but he passed it
    > on Windows NT 4 or some old OS.

    Correct the =MCDST= (which was awarded on Windows 2000 and Windows XP -- I
    think the cert did not exist for NT4) will not expire.

    > So, I was assured that Vista and Windows 7 will not deminish our certs.

    However, with regards to Vista and Windows 7 you were 'assured' with a false
    sense of perspective.

    The entire Microsoft Certification program was revamped four years ago, and
    all of those older "non-expiring" certifications (e.g. MCSA, MCSE, MCAD,
    MCSD, MCDST) are now in the process of being phased out (albeit still
    recognized in perpetuity as originally promised) -- and as noted by LeJon,
    in the near future will no longer be achievable (as the remaining exams
    supporting them are retired).

    However, currently there are no announced retirement dates for the Windows
    XP or Windows Server 2003 exams, and generally the retirements are announced
    at least a year in advance, so I'd expect those exams to be around for at
    least another 12-18 months -- but history is never a guarantee.

    The new certifications, MCTS, MCITP, MCPD have entirely different standards,
    and the new equivalent of the old MCDST (MCITP: Enterprise Support
    Technician) may or may not have expirations associated with it as the
    underlying exams (MCTS: Vista or MCTS: Windows 7 are expired).

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Sep 11, 2009
  6. LeJon7881

    John R Guest

    "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]" <> wrote in message

    > Correct the =MCDST= (which was awarded on Windows 2000 and Windows XP -- I
    > think the cert did not exist for NT4) will not expire.

    I don't recall MCDST ever being offered on Windows 2000, although I
    *certainly* don't know everything (note, that is said with humility, not
    arrogance). The only requirements I've ever seen for it are exams 271 and
    272 which are both XP based. My certifications efforts however only go back
    to 2004 when my company began to require certifications.

    John R.
    John R, Sep 11, 2009
  7. "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote in message

    > "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Correct the =MCDST= (which was awarded on Windows 2000 and Windows XP --
    >> I think the cert did not exist for NT4) will not expire.
    >>

    > I don't recall MCDST ever being offered on Windows 2000,

    And apparently it wasn't.
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcdst.aspx#tab2

    My mistake. Thanks John!

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Sep 11, 2009
  8. Thanks for that.

    I was worried when Vista started to roll out; err what can one do but jump
    through Microsofts hoops?

    But I'd like to earn some money from all my hard work.

    But one very serious logical conclusion, will we still be allowed to use out
    hard-earned Logos or MCDST status in our stationaries and company adverts?

    Will MS warn us not to use these anymore?

    Help!

    G Mail Account, Sep 11, 2009
  9. "G Mail Account" <> wrote in message

    > But one very serious logical conclusion, will we still be allowed to use
    > out hard-earned Logos or MCDST status in our stationaries and company
    > adverts?

    Absolutely. MCDST is one of the "legacy" certifications that is
    non-expiring.

    Only the newer MCTS/MCITP/MCPD are carrying the thread of continuing
    certification requirements.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Sep 11, 2009
  10. Thats great to hear!

    Thanks for your info.

    I'll be looking at MCITP next year...then? When Win7 become meanstream?

    Thanks again.

    G Mail Account, Sep 12, 2009
  11. LeJon7881

    kgutliut Guest

    Your certification never expired but outdated.

    kgutliut, Sep 14, 2009
  12. LeJon7881

    Drewby Guest

    I am studying for exams at home through a learning college. I gonna be taking
    the 70-271 and 70-272 exams. in what ways did you study 4 your exams? thanks,
    i have just joind the news group and i am un familiar with it. I am just
    taking my lad football but will return by 8p.m thankyou kindly.

    --
    drewbaby

    Drewby, May 27, 2010
  13. LeJon7881

    John R Guest

    "Drewby" <> wrote in message
    >I am studying for exams at home through a learning college. I gonna be
    >taking
    > the 70-271 and 70-272 exams. in what ways did you study 4 your exams?
    > thanks,
    > i have just joind the news group and i am un familiar with it. I am just
    > taking my lad football but will return by 8p.m thankyou kindly.

    Well, MS Press does offer training material that in my opinion is very good
    for these exams. There are other vendors that offer material as well.
    However, I think most of us studied for these exams by actually using,
    supporting, and administering XP and Office for some period of time in
    enterprise environments.

    John R.
    John R, May 28, 2010