Question on Wireless Network Setup...

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?S2F0aQ==?=, Oct 13, 2004.

  1. Hello,
    First I'd like to just mention that I think I know computers fairly
    well, although I am not too familiar with Wireless setup. I am in an
    apartment now. We have 2 labtops that are both running on wireless through
    our wireless Netgear router. No computer is actually hooked up to the
    wireless router. I went to go and set up the Wireless network Setup using the
    wizard after I installed SP2. The problem I am having is I used the USB
    device to do it all. I put the USB into the other computer and put all the
    information on that computer for the wireless network. They problem I am
    having now is it told me to plug it into the access point?! Or into the
    router. Well my router doesn't have a USB plug in anywhere?! How am I
    supposed to get my wireless router to know this network? Am I supposed to
    plug in my computer to it with an ethernet cord and it will somehow recognize
    it? I am just really confused. So as of right now we are just using the
    Netgear wireless network, which isn't secured and we would like to to be
    since we are in an apartment. I thought going through the wireless network
    wizard it would secure it?! I mean a new network called something else. But
    now when I got to see available wireless networks only Netgear shows up, NOT
    the one I created. Although Under the properties under preferred networks the
    new one shows up, but it won't show up for us to connect to it. I'm guessing
    this is because it was never entred into our router?!(Gosh I have no idea..)
    I would just really like to make our network secure so only WE can get onto
    it. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! I've become very annoyed with this
    because our wireless network has seem to go down the drain since we instated
    SP2, and no I am not using the 802.1x settings that someone else stated in
    another post, I went through and checked that. Please somehow help, or tell
    me how I can get help on this problem! Thank you!
    Sincerely,
    Kati

    =?Utf-8?B?S2F0aQ==?=, Oct 13, 2004

  2. A lot of routers or AP's dont have a usb port. Before applying the settings
    from the USB drive you should log into the routers setup and enter the SSID
    and the WPA or WEP code into the right area. Then you should plug the USB
    into the other computers and set it up like that.

    Hope it helps

    Tom, U.K

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=, Oct 13, 2004

  3. Hello Tom,
    Thank you for writing me back. I have a problem though, I only
    "sorta" understood your reponse. What do you mean by "I should log into the
    routers setup and enter the SSID and the WPA or WEP Code into the right
    area?" I have a CD for my wireless router. Do you mean that it's on that? So
    I have to put that in my computer and enter that router information manually?
    ~Kati

    =?Utf-8?B?S2F0aQ==?=, Oct 13, 2004
  4. yes, you should enter the router manually and it should give you some sort of
    page to enter the infomation manually.

    tom

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=, Oct 13, 2004
  5. How to configure router(Netgear) manually

    Hi Kati,
    Open Internet Explorer then in the address type in http://192.168.0.1
    This will open up the management tool of the Netgear router where you can
    configure the wireless settings like SSID(name of the wireless network) and
    WEP/ WPA(security settings). This is how routers are configured manually. You
    could get the SSID and WEP key from the USB Drive.

    Hope this helps you,
    Jose

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obmlicmF2bw==?=, Oct 14, 2004
  6. RE: How to configure router(Netgear) manually

    I just wanted to thank you Tom and Jose. I got it all working fine. Made my
    own network name and it is secured! I greatly appreciate your help. My next
    tast is trying to get my printer through wireless (I'm having some trouble
    with that)
    ~Kati

    =?Utf-8?B?S2F0aQ==?=, Oct 14, 2004
  7. =?Utf-8?B?S2F0aQ==?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    In general, it is Not a Good idea to have every thing Wireless without the
    capacity to configure the Wireless Cable/DSL Router or Access Point through
    a regular Network Wire.

    1.. Wireless connection is not stable enough in order to totally trust on
    air configuration.
    2.. If your Wireless Clients lose the capacity to connect to the Wireless
    source you would not be able to access the source for re-adjustment.
    3.. Windows can accommodate configuration of Wireless and regular Wire on
    the same computer as long as they are Not used at the same time. If one of
    the computers have regular Wired NIC buy a cable disengaged the Wireless
    plug the regular NIC to the Wireless Router log to the Router and configure
    it.
    If you do not have regular NIC you can buy a USB to Ethernet adaptor and use
    it as a spare alternative when Wireless acts out.
    Example for an adaptor:
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10352459&loc=101&sp=1

    On Wireless Configuration.

    Wireless - Basic: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html