Question on WEP and Linksys WRE54G Range Extender??

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by pattyjamas@hotmail.com, May 14, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I have 2 questions for you kind people.

    I can enable WEP on my Linksys WRT54GS and it generates keys for me.

    1. I assume that key 1 is the key I would use and enter the Hex string
    into any visitors laptop, correct?

    2. I can not use my PC (Windows XP) to get to the wireless router with
    192.168.1.240 . I cannot even ping it. I did a reset on it and
    autocinfig with the button on the side...still cannot ping it.

    If I disable WEP on the WRTreGS router, then it all works fine.

    What am I doing wrong? Or perhaps should I do the range extender first
    (enable wep)?

    Thanks, Patty

    , May 14, 2005

  2. Guest

    The problem is with an IBOOK G4 not being able to work with the
    Linksys. Perhaps it needs a firmware and software upgrade from Apple.
    It does not accept a WPA or WEP password stating that it does not
    recognize encryption.

    Ideas?

    Thanks,
    Patty