    appropriate literature for the .NET etc?

    Someone answer me who passed the MCSD track.
    Thanks

    Samir, Jun 30, 2004

  2. Samir

    Eric Guest

    Samir wrote:

    > (700 once). The MCSD track as of June 30 has been
    > discontinued. The question is: what to do now? Shold I
    > give up from everything or continue with .NET? Is it a big
    > difference between the VB6.0 and .NET? How to get an
    > appropriate literature for the .NET etc?

    Yes, it's a big difference.

    Yes, you should learn VB.NET (or C#) if you care about the future and
    you might want to get a new job someday.

    Assuming you prefer VB.NET rather than C#, the blue study guides by
    Mike Gunderloy are excellent. You might want to start with 70-306,
    because this is for Windows programs and it will seem somewhat familier
    to you.

    Eric

    Eric, Jun 30, 2004

  3. be honest Eric, tell the guy he should quit...

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:43:55 -0700, "Eric" <Eric> wrote:

    >Samir wrote:
    >
    >> (700 once). The MCSD track as of June 30 has been
    >> discontinued. The question is: what to do now? Shold I
    >> give up from everything or continue with .NET? Is it a big
    >> difference between the VB6.0 and .NET? How to get an
    >> appropriate literature for the .NET etc?

    >Yes, it's a big difference.
    >
    >Yes, you should learn VB.NET (or C#) if you care about the future and
    >you might want to get a new job someday.
    >
    >Assuming you prefer VB.NET rather than C#, the blue study guides by
    >Mike Gunderloy are excellent. You might want to start with 70-306,
    >because this is for Windows programs and it will seem somewhat familier
    >to you.
    >
    >Eric

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jul 1, 2004
  4. Samir

    Eric Guest

    > be honest Eric, tell the guy he should quit...

    Anyone can be saved! .NET is a lot like a religion. It takes a lot of
    work to understand it, but it changes your coding life in a big way.

    VB6 coders need to get over that initial fear of .NET. Once they go
    thru some of the examples in Gunderloy's 70-306 book using VB.NET they
    will "see the light", and be on the road to salvation.

    Eric

    Eric, Jul 2, 2004
  5. > .NET is a lot like a religion.

    I guess I'm an atheist then.

    > It takes a lot of
    >work to understand it, but it changes your coding life in a big way.

    It's not changed my 'coding life' one bit...

    dot net gives you another way to implement exactly the same type of
    solutions which were used to solve business problems before dot net.

    >VB6 coders need to get over that initial fear of .NET.

    Well, they certainly need to understand OO, however it's perfectly
    possible to 'develop' applications in vb.net using the vb3 spaghetti
    technic, and no doubt those sort of people do just that....

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jul 2, 2004
  6. Samir

    Eric Guest

    > > It takes a lot of
    > > work to understand it, but it changes your coding life in a big way.

    > It's not changed my 'coding life' one bit...
    >
    > dot net gives you another way to implement exactly the same type of
    > solutions which were used to solve business problems before dot net.

    The first big difference is in the Framework, where a lot of work has
    been done for us already. The Framework has more functionality than
    most of the standard libraries of the past, and it's more consistant,
    and pointer-free.

    The second big difference is in the IDE, where the improvements let us
    focus more on the problem, and less on the grunt task of wiring up the
    code.

    For Web Developers the differences are extreme, and the added
    productivity of .NET is a welcome change. Of course, we need to spend
    more time up-front in the design, but this is what we should have been
    doing all along.

    Eric

    Eric, Jul 6, 2004
  7. >The first big difference is in the Framework, where a lot of work has
    >been done for us already.

    As is the case with frameworks/libries/templates. reuse,reuse,reuse at
    every stage of the process - no change there.....

    > The Framework has more functionality than
    >most of the standard libraries of the past,

    Nothing which could not be done before - design/write once, use many.

    >and pointer-free.

    wow that means a lot!

    >The second big difference is in the IDE, where the improvements let us
    >focus more on the problem,

    If you mean business problem, well that sure is not solve in the IDE!
    Business solutions 'should' be solved way before you get to 'coding'.

    >and less on the grunt task of wiring up the
    >code.

    As do all tools - as it should be.

    >For Web Developers the differences are extreme, and the added
    >productivity of .NET is a welcome change.

    For me the programming model used is still way to close to each layer,
    although that's not the tool's fault, it's just the poor design
    approach often taken, an approach which should be discouraged.

    >Of course, we need to spend
    >more time up-front in the design, but this is what we should have been
    >doing all along.

    very, very true...

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jul 6, 2004