    Can someone shed some light on what this pop up could mean. Is there a
    location where the settings and configuration for USBs can be found
    and tweaked?
    ECLiPSE 2002, Jul 30, 2007

  2. ECLiPSE 2002

    Maincat Guest

    "ECLiPSE 2002" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a PC with WIn xp home ed. and USB 2 with 512 mb of ram. I
    > installed a 160 gb external hard drive which connects to one of my USB
    > 2 connections. Recently when adding some family photos to the external
    > hard drive I got a fleeting pop up that said something about the drive
    > was not using the high speed USB2 feature - I lack the exact wording
    > because it appeared and disappered too quickly and hasn't returned
    > since.
    >
    > Can someone shed some light on what this pop up could mean. Is there a
    > location where the settings and configuration for USBs can be found
    > and tweaked?

    You will have connected the drive to a USB 1.1 port. Your drive will be a
    USB2 device.
    Connect the drive to a USB2 port and you will see a great increase in speed.
    If you are not sure you have a USB2 port, look in your Motherboard manual.
    If you only have USB1.1 ports, then you can buy a USB2 PCI card from your
    local computer store and fit it.
    Hope that helps.
    Maincat, Jul 30, 2007

  3. ECLiPSE 2002

    tinybot2k Guest

    On Jul 30, 9:07 am, ECLiPSE 2002 <> wrote:
    > I have a PC with WIn xp home ed. and USB 2 with 512 mb of ram. I
    > installed a 160 gb external hard drive which connects to one of my USB
    > 2 connections. Recently when adding some family photos to the external
    > hard drive I got a fleeting pop up that said something about the drive
    > was not using the high speed USB2 feature - I lack the exact wording
    > because it appeared and disappered too quickly and hasn't returned
    > since.
    >
    > Can someone shed some light on what this pop up could mean. Is there a
    > location where the settings and configuration for USBs can be found
    > and tweaked?

    It sounds more like a hardware limitation. The Windows XP OS
    automatically detects the version of the USB hardware that is
    connected to your system. If you're sure that your PC is USB 2.0
    compliant, then it's your external hard drive that is not.

    I encountered a similar problem with an older PC, but it was because
    the motherboard only supported USB 1.1 - so I got the message you
    described frequently whenever I connected a new USB device to my PC. I
    fixed the problem with a PCI card that had 2.0 compliant USB ports.

    In your situation, check out the packaging or the documentation for
    your external hard drive. Most likely it is not USB 2.0 compliant.
    tinybot2k, Jul 30, 2007
  4. ECLiPSE 2002

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 12:07:56 -0400, ECLiPSE 2002 wrote:

    x-post trimmed to 24hshd from unlikely to be right,
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,24hoursupport.helpdesk

    Not a XP issue, it should have detected the USB controller / ports.
    These are listed in device manager. Search 24hshd
    for similar posts with notes on how to tell the difference in USB 1/2

    >I have a PC with WIn xp home ed. and USB 2 with 512 mb of ram. I
    >installed a 160 gb external hard drive which connects to one of my USB
    >2 connections. Recently when adding some family photos to the external
    >hard drive I got a fleeting pop up that said something about the drive
    >was not using the high speed USB2 feature - I lack the exact wording
    >because it appeared and disappered too quickly and hasn't returned
    >since.

    That message is about right. You may have a mixture of USB1.1 and USB
    2.0 ports. You need to plug the drive into the 2.0 port.

    >Can someone shed some light on what this pop up could mean. Is there a

    As it said.

    >location where the settings and configuration for USBs can be found
    >and tweaked?

    It's a function of the USB hardware in your PC.

    You didn't mention which motherboard make / model may not help anyway
    as the USB ports often aren't labelled on the case.

    Simply method, try another USB port.

    Me
    why?, Jul 30, 2007
  5. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    Thanks to the responders for their input - the specs for my Compaq PC
    state that I have USB 2.0 ports and the Maxtor (Seagate) external 160
    GB is advertised as a 2.0 USB. I have a 4 port USB adaptor that the
    external drive cable is connected to - could that be the problem?

    ECLiPSE 2002, Jul 30, 2007
  6. ECLiPSE 2002

    ded Guest

    > Thanks to the responders for their input - the specs for my Compaq PC
    > state that I have USB 2.0 ports and the Maxtor (Seagate) external 160
    > GB is advertised as a 2.0 USB. I have a 4 port USB adaptor that the
    > external drive cable is connected to - could that be the problem?

    Adaptor? Well four pin is unpowered - the two additional pins on a six pin
    would draw the power supply from the PC.
    So assumed the "adaptor" has it's own power supply and that you are
    using the external HD's dedicated power supply - or it wouldn't work.
    What other devices and how many are connected to the adaptor?
    Try connecting the external HD directly to the PC's USB
    ded, Jul 30, 2007
  7. ECLiPSE 2002

    Swifty Guest

    > I have a 4 port USB adaptor that the external drive cable is
    > connected to - could that be the problem?

    It almost certainly is the problem. See, you didn't need us!
    I have an old USB 1.1 powered 7-port hub (the more usual word) but the
    ports on my system are all 2.0

    However, anything plugged into my hub will obviously work only at USB
    1.1 speeds. I have quite a few devices that are happy with this.

    --
    Steve Swift
    http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html
    Swifty, Jul 31, 2007
  8. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    All the responses were helpful - my use of the term adaptor was
    incorrect, it should have been 4 port hub. I am unsure whether the hub
    is 1.1 or 2.0 because there is no USB certified high speed or 2.0
    logo. It merely Micro 204N what ever that means - made in China (isn't
    everything nowadays!).

    I guess I will open the wallet and buy a hub that is USB certified.

    Many thanks,

    Frank

    ECLiPSE 2002, Jul 31, 2007
  9. ECLiPSE 2002

    Dave B. Guest

    From what I have found by doing a Google search of the model number you
    provided, that is a 1.1 hub, so you'll need to replace it with a 2.0 hub.

    --
    ----

    Dave B., Jul 31, 2007
  10. ECLiPSE 2002

    Swifty Guest

    Swifty, Jul 31, 2007
  11. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    Thanks once again for the help, responders. Wallet will be opened.

    Frank

    ECLiPSE 2002, Aug 1, 2007
  12. ECLiPSE 2002

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 16:22:09 -0400, ECLiPSE 2002 <>
    wrote:

    >Thanks once again for the help, responders. Wallet will be opened.

    Please learn to reply properly.
    Evan Platt, Aug 1, 2007