    product like a USB port spliter?

    THX,

    Scratch

    Scratch, May 13, 2005

  2. Scratch

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Scratch wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I use a laptop PC with 2 USB ports. I use them for a mouse and DVD
    > burner. Yet, I want to use a couple of more ports... Is there such a
    > product like a USB port spliter?

    Yes, I use a Belkin USB hub which has one input to six outputs. They
    are dirt cheap and available in most computer shops/computer
    markets/chain stores.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 13, 2005

  3. Scratch

    Parko Guest

    Scratch <Scratch> wrote with a thumbnail dipped in tar:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I use a laptop PC with 2 USB ports. I use them for a mouse and DVD
    > burner. Yet, I want to use a couple of more ports... Is there such a
    > product like a USB port spliter?
    >
    > THX,
    >
    > Scratch

    Yes.
    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345

    Parko, May 13, 2005
  4. Scratch

    PC Guest

    <Scratch> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I use a laptop PC with 2 USB ports. I use them for a mouse and DVD
    > burner. Yet, I want to use a couple of more ports... Is there such a
    > product like a USB port spliter?
    >
    > THX,
    >
    > Scratch

    Yes

    They are called USB Hub's.

    If you can get one that can be powered by an external power supply in case
    the Laptop's USB ports can't provide enough current for what you connect to
    it.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, May 13, 2005
  5. Scratch

    DEFIANT1 Guest

    You mean a USB hub. And you can "daisy chain" up 37 devices from a USB port.
    Though I'm yet to meet anyone with 27 USB devices............

    DEFIANT1, May 13, 2005
  6. Scratch

    DEFIANT1 Guest

    That should read 27.........

    DEFIANT1, May 13, 2005
  7. Scratch <Scratch> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I use a laptop PC with 2 USB ports. I use them for a mouse and DVD
    > burner. Yet, I want to use a couple of more ports... Is there such a
    > product like a USB port spliter?
    >
    > THX,
    >
    > Scratch

    USB Hubs typically have between 3 - 6 ports and come in self-powered and
    powered types. Be sure, if the extra devices you're buying are powered
    off the USB bus (i.e. no plug to a wall electrical outlet) you don't
    exceed the power supply of your computers built in USB bus.

    It's a safe bet that you'll need a powered hub (that also plugs into the
    wall to provide extra power for attached devices) if you're wanting to
    add a couple devices like USB powered scanners, or the like. But if it's
    just a gamepad, joystick, or a trackball (for example) you ought to be
    fine with a self-powered hub.

    To be absolutely sure - consult your computer's documentation, find the
    power rating of it's USB bus, and add up the power consumption of all
    the devices you wish to add.

    Also be aware that USB comes in two flavours - USB 1.1 and USB 2
    (slower/faster). If you've a DVD burner hooked up it _sounds_ like
    you're using a USB 2 bus. Hooking up a USB 1.1 hub to a USB 2 bus will
    work just fine (but of course you'll only be able to add USB 1.1 capable
    devices to the USB 1.1 hub), and most (but not all - be sure and check
    with the manufacturer) USB 2 devices will also work with USB 1.1 (but in
    the case of, say a DVD burner, you will not be able to burn DVDs at very
    fast speeds).

    So to summarise, you've two main questions you need to answer:

    1) Do I need a powered Hub or not?

    2) Do I need a USB 1.1 or 2 hub?

    HTH,
    Jamie Kahn Genet