Question on URL's

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Dave C., Dec 20, 2008.

  1. Dave C.

    Dave C. Guest

    Occasionally when I click on a url, and after it loads, I get a blank
    screen and the notation on the botton left saying "Done."

    The site below is an example of this. Other computer systems work
    correctly for this and other url's whose problems I seem to have. I
    guess it is something with my system.

    www.bitchincamero.com/mel/2008/09/how-to-make-homeade-gnocchi

    This is a recipe for homemade gnocchi.

    My cookies and security are set to default. I have shut of my McAfee
    also.

    I have a Dell P-4, XP, with SP2

    Hope someone has some suggestions.

    Dave C.

    Dave C., Dec 20, 2008

  2. Dave C.

    sandy58 Guest

    On Dec 20, 5:24 pm, "Dave C." <> wrote:
    > Occasionally when I click on a url, and after it loads, I get a blank
    > screen and the notation on the botton left saying "Done."
    >
    > The site below is an example of this.  Other computer systems work
    > correctly for this and other url's whose problems I seem to have.  I
    > guess it is something with my system.
    >
    > www.bitchincamero.com/mel/2008/09/how-to-make-homeade-gnocchi
    >
    > This is a recipe for homemade gnocchi.
    >
    > My cookies and security are set to default.  I have shut of my McAfee
    > also.
    >
    > I have a Dell P-4, XP, with SP2
    >
    > Hope someone has some suggestions.
    >
    > Dave C.

    More likely ghost or dead links...

    sandy58, Dec 20, 2008

  3. "sandy58" <> wrote in message
    On Dec 20, 5:24 pm, "Dave C." <> wrote:
    > Occasionally when I click on a url, and after it loads, I get a blank
    > screen and the notation on the botton left saying "Done."
    >
    > The site below is an example of this. Other computer systems work
    > correctly for this and other url's whose problems I seem to have. I
    > guess it is something with my system.
    >
    > www.bitchincamero.com/mel/2008/09/how-to-make-homeade-gnocchi
    >
    > This is a recipe for homemade gnocchi.
    >
    > My cookies and security are set to default. I have shut of my McAfee
    > also.
    >
    > I have a Dell P-4, XP, with SP2
    >
    > Hope someone has some suggestions.
    >
    > Dave C.

    More likely ghost or dead links...

    <JS>
    That's what I was thinking too, but he did say that other machines connect
    to the URL correctly. I get the same on my machine -- blank screen with DONE
    on the Status Bar -- on some sites. I've not looked at the link he gave us,
    but I've seen the same as he complains about, I just chalk it up to a flaky
    address and move on.

    </JS>

    Jeff Strickland, Dec 20, 2008
  4. Dave C.

    Dave C. Guest

    On Dec 20, 3:34 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > "sandy58" <> wrote in message

    > On Dec 20, 5:24 pm, "Dave C." <> wrote:
    >

    > > Occasionally when I click on a url, and after it loads, I get a blank
    > > screen and the notation on the botton left saying "Done."

    > > The site below is an example of this. Other computer systems work
    > > correctly for this and other url's whose problems I seem to have. I
    > > guess it is something with my system.

    > >www.bitchincamero.com/mel/2008/09/how-to-make-homeade-gnocchi

    > > This is a recipe for homemade gnocchi.

    > > My cookies and security are set to default. I have shut of my McAfee
    > > also.

    > > I have a Dell P-4, XP, with SP2

    > > Hope someone has some suggestions.

    > > Dave C.

    > More likely ghost or dead links...
    >
    > <JS>
    > That's what I was thinking too, but he did say that other machines connect
    > to the URL correctly. I get the same on my machine -- blank screen with DONE
    > on the Status Bar -- on some sites. I've not looked at the link he gave us,
    > but I've seen the same as he complains about, I just chalk it up to a flaky
    > address and move on.
    >
    > </JS>- Hide quoted text -

    Well, Jeff, I agree that I'll move on with other importment things to
    do. This does not happen too often but enough for me to wonder. I
    also tried www.bitchencamero.com by itself which did not work either.
    I doublechecked with my daughter (the source of the url) and on her
    system and her friends system, it comes up OK.

    Dave C.

    Dave C., Dec 20, 2008
  5. "Dave C." <> wrote in message
    On Dec 20, 3:34 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > "sandy58" <> wrote in message

    > On Dec 20, 5:24 pm, "Dave C." <> wrote:
    >

    > > Occasionally when I click on a url, and after it loads, I get a blank
    > > screen and the notation on the botton left saying "Done."

    > > The site below is an example of this. Other computer systems work
    > > correctly for this and other url's whose problems I seem to have. I
    > > guess it is something with my system.

    > >www.bitchincamero.com/mel/2008/09/how-to-make-homeade-gnocchi

    > > This is a recipe for homemade gnocchi.

    > > My cookies and security are set to default. I have shut of my McAfee
    > > also.

    > > I have a Dell P-4, XP, with SP2

    > > Hope someone has some suggestions.

    > > Dave C.

    > More likely ghost or dead links...
    >
    > <JS>
    > That's what I was thinking too, but he did say that other machines connect
    > to the URL correctly. I get the same on my machine -- blank screen with
    > DONE
    > on the Status Bar -- on some sites. I've not looked at the link he gave
    > us,
    > but I've seen the same as he complains about, I just chalk it up to a
    > flaky
    > address and move on.
    >
    > </JS>- Hide quoted text -

    Well, Jeff, I agree that I'll move on with other importment things to
    do. This does not happen too often but enough for me to wonder. I
    also tried www.bitchencamero.com by itself which did not work either.
    I doublechecked with my daughter (the source of the url) and on her
    system and her friends system, it comes up OK.

    Dave C.

    <JS>
    Interestingly enough, it also works for me. That suggests that your computer
    is having issues that I can't explain because I've always written this kind
    of thing off as a problem with the site itself, not with my machine.

    </JS

    Jeff Strickland, Dec 20, 2008
  6. Dave C.

    Dave C. Guest

    On Dec 20, 5:41 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > "Dave C." <> wrote in message

    > On Dec 20, 3:34 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    >

    > > "sandy58" <> wrote in message

    > > On Dec 20, 5:24 pm, "Dave C." <> wrote:

    > > > Occasionally when I click on a url, and after it loads, I get a blank
    > > > screen and the notation on the botton left saying "Done."

    > > > The site below is an example of this. Other computer systems work
    > > > correctly for this and other url's whose problems I seem to have. I
    > > > guess it is something with my system.

    > > >www.bitchincamero.com/mel/2008/09/how-to-make-homeade-gnocchi

    > > > This is a recipe for homemade gnocchi.

    > > > My cookies and security are set to default. I have shut of my McAfee
    > > > also.

    > > > I have a Dell P-4, XP, with SP2

    > > > Hope someone has some suggestions.

    > > > Dave C.

    > > More likely ghost or dead links...

    > > <JS>
    > > That's what I was thinking too, but he did say that other machines connect
    > > to the URL correctly. I get the same on my machine -- blank screen with
    > > DONE
    > > on the Status Bar -- on some sites. I've not looked at the link he gave
    > > us,
    > > but I've seen the same as he complains about, I just chalk it up to a
    > > flaky
    > > address and move on.

    > > </JS>- Hide quoted text -

    > Well, Jeff, I agree that I'll move on with other importment things to
    > do.  This does not happen too often but enough for me to wonder.  I
    > also triedwww.bitchencamero.comby itself which did not work either.
    > I doublechecked with my daughter (the source of the url) and on her
    > system and her friends system, it comes up OK.
    >
    > Dave C.
    >
    > <JS>
    > Interestingly enough, it also works for me. That suggests that your computer
    > is having issues that I can't explain because I've always written this kind
    > of thing off as a problem with the site itself, not with my machine.
    >
    > </JS- Hide quoted text -

    I agree with you on this, and since it is infrequent enough, as you
    suggest, I'll move on for now.

    Thanks, Jeff.

    Dave C.

    Dave C., Dec 20, 2008
  7. Dave C.

    Paul Guest

    Dave C. wrote:
    > Occasionally when I click on a url, and after it loads, I get a blank
    > screen and the notation on the botton left saying "Done."
    >
    > The site below is an example of this. Other computer systems work
    > correctly for this and other url's whose problems I seem to have. I
    > guess it is something with my system.
    >
    > www.bitchincamero.com/mel/2008/09/how-to-make-homeade-gnocchi
    >
    > This is a recipe for homemade gnocchi.
    >
    > My cookies and security are set to default. I have shut of my McAfee
    > also.
    >
    > I have a Dell P-4, XP, with SP2
    >
    > Hope someone has some suggestions.
    >
    > Dave C.

    Maybe you have security software loaded ?

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 21, 2008
  8. Dave C.

    Dave C. Guest

    On Dec 20, 7:26 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    > Dave C. wrote:
    > > Occasionally when I click on a url, and after it loads, I get a blank
    > > screen and the notation on the botton left saying "Done."

    > > The site below is an example of this.  Other computer systems work
    > > correctly for this and other url's whose problems I seem to have.  I
    > > guess it is something with my system.

    > >www.bitchincamero.com/mel/2008/09/how-to-make-homeade-gnocchi

    > > This is a recipe for homemade gnocchi.

    > > My cookies and security are set to default.  I have shut of my McAfee
    > > also.

    > > I have a Dell P-4, XP, with SP2

    > > Hope someone has some suggestions.

    > > Dave C.

    > Maybe you have security software loaded ?
    >
    >     Paul- Hide quoted text -

    I have McAfee and I unchecked the internet security, firewall and
    other things on McAfee as well as Windows firewall and it did not seem
    to make a difference.

    I've done Ad-Aware and Spyware removal, etc., and a few other things I
    could think of. It only happens once a month or so, but I guess it is
    only the challange that peaks my interest. I'll just keep chipping
    away at it. Certainly it is a low priority.

    Thanks.

    Dave C., Dec 21, 2008
  9. Dave C.

    fruitbat Guest

    The solution is quite simple.
    You have a spelling error.
    Try http://www.bitchincamero.com/mel/2008/09/how-to-make-homemade-gnocchi/
    where "homeade" is replaced w ith "homemade". The problem will disappear for
    you.

    fruitbat, Jan 1, 2009