Question on travel insurance

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John S, Aug 8, 2012.

  1. John S

    John S Guest

    (vaguely related to computers, since I've been trying to find info on the
    internet :)

    My missus and me are planning a trip to the UK next year for a school
    reunion.

    I've spent an hour or two looking for info on travel insurance.
    I was hoping to find comments in forums from travellers about the relative
    merits of NZ providers, but all I found were links to various commercial
    sites.

    Looks like it will cost around $800 for the two of us (both over 70 yrs) to
    be insured for about 5 weeks in the UK.

    However, I discovered that if you have a Kiwibank gold Mastercard, and use
    it to pay for your air fares, you get free travel insurance for up to 40
    days. Had a quick read through the 44 pages of details, and the policy (by
    Tower Insurance) looks reasonable.

    Can't quite get my head round this though - surely there has to be a catch,
    but I don't see where it is.

    Any experienced travellers out there?

    If so, also any recommendations for web sites to read up on tips for
    geriatric globe-hoppers?

    Cheers,

    John S.
    John S, Aug 8, 2012

  2. John S

    Guest

    On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 16:22:13 +1200, John S <>
    wrote:

    >(vaguely related to computers, since I've been trying to find info on the
    >internet :)
    >
    >My missus and me are planning a trip to the UK next year for a school
    >reunion.
    >
    >I've spent an hour or two looking for info on travel insurance.
    >I was hoping to find comments in forums from travellers about the relative
    >merits of NZ providers, but all I found were links to various commercial
    >sites.
    >
    >Looks like it will cost around $800 for the two of us (both over 70 yrs) to
    >be insured for about 5 weeks in the UK.
    >
    >However, I discovered that if you have a Kiwibank gold Mastercard, and use
    >it to pay for your air fares, you get free travel insurance for up to 40
    >days. Had a quick read through the 44 pages of details, and the policy (by
    >Tower Insurance) looks reasonable.
    >
    >Can't quite get my head round this though - surely there has to be a catch,
    >but I don't see where it is.
    >
    >Any experienced travellers out there?
    >
    >If so, also any recommendations for web sites to read up on tips for
    >geriatric globe-hoppers?
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >John S.

    It is worth talking to the Mastercard people. Visa had a similar
    policy, but from memory only for 30 days. We tried to get insurance
    for the balance of a trip only to find that if the trip was for more
    than 30 days, there was no cover at all. Mastercard may be similar,
    but if it is 40 days and covers you then that is good. Travel agents
    can be helpful with this sort of issue - we had a complex tri[p
    planned so were using a travel agent.

    Good luck, and let us know what arrangements you end up with.
    , Aug 8, 2012

  3. John S

    bugalugs Guest

    On 8/08/2012 4:22 p.m., John S wrote:
    > (vaguely related to computers, since I've been trying to find info on the
    > internet :)
    >
    > My missus and me are planning a trip to the UK next year for a school
    > reunion.
    >
    > I've spent an hour or two looking for info on travel insurance.
    > I was hoping to find comments in forums from travellers about the relative
    > merits of NZ providers, but all I found were links to various commercial
    > sites.
    >
    > Looks like it will cost around $800 for the two of us (both over 70 yrs) to
    > be insured for about 5 weeks in the UK.
    >
    > However, I discovered that if you have a Kiwibank gold Mastercard, and use
    > it to pay for your air fares, you get free travel insurance for up to 40
    > days. Had a quick read through the 44 pages of details, and the policy (by
    > Tower Insurance) looks reasonable.
    >
    > Can't quite get my head round this though - surely there has to be a catch,
    > but I don't see where it is.
    >
    > Any experienced travellers out there?
    >
    > If so, also any recommendations for web sites to read up on tips for
    > geriatric globe-hoppers?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John S.

    A couple of years ago I went to the UK and the Continent for about 3
    weeks. Found the best value as far as coverage and cost. (Southern Cross
    were way out of the picture) Had done the travel through Flight Centre
    who offered their own brand. When I told them I had another they offered
    to match coverage and for $1 less. I went with them.

    My MasterCard bill last month advised that the age restrictions which
    they had applied at 80 were being brought down to 75. Medical coverage
    now Nil. No coverage for body recovery and some other payments halved.
    bugalugs, Aug 8, 2012
  4. John S

    bill ramsay Guest

    wrote:

    >(vaguely related to computers, since I've been trying to find info on the
    >internet :)
    >
    >My missus and me are planning a trip to the UK next year for a school
    >reunion.
    >
    >I've spent an hour or two looking for info on travel insurance.
    >I was hoping to find comments in forums from travellers about the relative
    >merits of NZ providers, but all I found were links to various commercial
    >sites.
    >
    >Looks like it will cost around $800 for the two of us (both over 70 yrs) to
    >be insured for about 5 weeks in the UK.
    >
    >However, I discovered that if you have a Kiwibank gold Mastercard, and use
    >it to pay for your air fares, you get free travel insurance for up to 40
    >days. Had a quick read through the 44 pages of details, and the policy (by
    >Tower Insurance) looks reasonable.
    >
    >Can't quite get my head round this though - surely there has to be a catch,
    >but I don't see where it is.
    >
    >Any experienced travellers out there?
    >
    >If so, also any recommendations for web sites to read up on tips for
    >geriatric globe-hoppers?
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >John S.

    interesting that you should be asking about this.

    My 19 year old is in london just now, before he went i checked up on
    insurance. I discovered that for medical stuff, such as hospital
    surgery etc, that there is a reciprocal arrangement between the UK
    and NZ that covers travellers for up to 6 months. any longer than
    that it is assumed that you are staying and working in the UK and that
    you will then have a national insurance number and automatically
    covered.

    the major benefits of insurance is if medical evacuation is required,
    and covering any other incidental expenses.

    He's also got dual nationality. UK/NZ so as a British National he's
    covered as well.

    In the end we didn't bother. However, it has been a worrying time as
    he has been rushed in to Chelsea and Westminster hospital with a burst
    appendix.

    He's had excellent care.

    Of course, if he had been in any other country, i would have
    automatically bought insurance for him.

    So the thing is, what is it that you want the insurance to do for
    you?
    bill ramsay, Aug 8, 2012
  5. John S

    -Newsman- Guest

    wrote:

    >(vaguely related to computers, since I've been trying to find info on the
    >internet :)
    >
    >My missus and me are planning a trip to the UK next year for a school
    >reunion.
    >
    >I've spent an hour or two looking for info on travel insurance.
    >I was hoping to find comments in forums from travellers about the relative
    >merits of NZ providers, but all I found were links to various commercial
    >sites.
    >
    >Looks like it will cost around $800 for the two of us (both over 70 yrs) to
    >be insured for about 5 weeks in the UK.
    >
    >However, I discovered that if you have a Kiwibank gold Mastercard, and use
    >it to pay for your air fares, you get free travel insurance for up to 40
    >days. Had a quick read through the 44 pages of details, and the policy (by
    >Tower Insurance) looks reasonable.
    >
    >Can't quite get my head round this though - surely there has to be a catch,
    >but I don't see where it is.
    >
    >Any experienced travellers out there?
    >
    >If so, also any recommendations for web sites to read up on tips for
    >geriatric globe-hoppers?

    As to health insurance (I no longer bother with it on my regular UK/EU
    travels, and here's why):

    Up to the point of departure from NZ, you are covered by NZ health
    system.

    From moment of disembarkation in UK and for your entire ensuing period
    in the UK, there is NZ/UK reciprocal health provision. Take a look at
    these URLs -

    http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zeala...-health-services/reciprocal-health-agreements

    http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/..._all@act@bill@regulation_United Kingdom_resel

    Vice-versa for return journey.

    In-flight, your $800 is of no help whatever - you are solely at the
    tender mercies of the cabin crew and any volunteer medic who may
    happen to be on board.

    Your only period of potential vulnerablity is when on the ground in
    transit between flights. You to decide.

    So, with that proviso, if you are both in good shape and with no - or
    minimal - known condition that might jeopardise you and your journey,
    why not save your $800 and simply use your "free" credit card
    insurance to cover for (possible) loss and damage?
    -Newsman-, Aug 8, 2012
  6. John S

    Enkidu Guest

    On 08/08/12 16:22, John S wrote:
    > (vaguely related to computers, since I've been trying to find info on
    > the internet :)
    >
    > My missus and me are planning a trip to the UK next year for a
    > school reunion.
    >
    > I've spent an hour or two looking for info on travel insurance. I was
    > hoping to find comments in forums from travellers about the relative
    > merits of NZ providers, but all I found were links to various
    > commercial sites.
    >
    > Looks like it will cost around $800 for the two of us (both over 70
    > yrs) to be insured for about 5 weeks in the UK.
    >
    > However, I discovered that if you have a Kiwibank gold Mastercard,
    > and use it to pay for your air fares, you get free travel insurance
    > for up to 40 days. Had a quick read through the 44 pages of details,
    > and the policy (by Tower Insurance) looks reasonable.
    >
    > Can't quite get my head round this though - surely there has to be a
    > catch, but I don't see where it is.
    >
    > Any experienced travellers out there?
    >
    > If so, also any recommendations for web sites to read up on tips for
    > geriatric globe-hoppers?

    I found that if you have pre-existing medical conditions (as most people
    do as they get on a bit), you can essentially forget about coverage for
    that condition. The catch is like all insurance policies, they will
    wriggle and squirm to avoid paying out, especially if they find that you
    haven't declared something. "Oh, so your second cousin twice removed
    once got a tummy bug in Bali? Sorry you are not covered for appendicitis".

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Aug 8, 2012
  7. John S

    -Newsman- Guest

    wrote:

    >(vaguely related to computers, since I've been trying to find info on the
    >internet :)
    >
    >My missus and me are planning a trip to the UK next year for a school
    >reunion.
    >
    >I've spent an hour or two looking for info on travel insurance.
    >I was hoping to find comments in forums from travellers about the relative
    >merits of NZ providers, but all I found were links to various commercial
    >sites.
    >
    >Looks like it will cost around $800 for the two of us (both over 70 yrs) to
    >be insured for about 5 weeks in the UK.
    >
    >However, I discovered that if you have a Kiwibank gold Mastercard, and use
    >it to pay for your air fares, you get free travel insurance for up to 40
    >days. Had a quick read through the 44 pages of details, and the policy (by
    >Tower Insurance) looks reasonable.
    >
    >Can't quite get my head round this though - surely there has to be a catch,
    >but I don't see where it is.
    >
    >Any experienced travellers out there?
    >
    >If so, also any recommendations for web sites to read up on tips for
    >geriatric globe-hoppers?

    As to health insurance (I no longer bother with it on my regular UK/EU
    travels, and here's why):

    Up to the point of departure from NZ, you are covered by NZ health
    system.

    From moment of disembarkation in UK and for your ensuing period in the
    UK, there is NZ/UK reciprocal health provision. Take a look at these
    URLs -

    http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zeala...-health-services/reciprocal-health-agreements

    http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/..._all@act@bill@regulation_United Kingdom_resel

    Vice-versa for return journey.

    In-flight, your $800 spend is futile - you are solely at the tender
    mercies of the cabin crew and any volunteer medic who may happen to be
    on board.

    Your only period of potential vulnerablity is when on terra firma in
    transit between flights.

    So, with that proviso, if you are both in good shape and with no - or
    minimal - known condition that might jeopardise you in-flight, why not
    simply use your "free" credit card insurance to cover for (possible)
    loss and damage and put your $800 to better use?
    -Newsman-, Aug 9, 2012
  8. John S

    John S Guest

    On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 16:22:13 +1200, John S wrote:

    > My missus and me are planning a trip to the UK next year for a school
    > reunion.
    >
    > I've spent an hour or two looking for info on travel insurance.
    > I was hoping to find comments in forums from travellers about the relative
    > merits of NZ providers, but all I found were links to various commercial
    > sites.
    >
    > Looks like it will cost around $800 for the two of us (both over 70 yrs) to
    > be insured for about 5 weeks in the UK.
    >
    > However, I discovered that if you have a Kiwibank gold Mastercard, and use
    > it to pay for your air fares, you get free travel insurance for up to 40
    > days. Had a quick read through the 44 pages of details, and the policy (by
    > Tower Insurance) looks reasonable.
    >
    > Can't quite get my head round this though - surely there has to be a catch,
    > but I don't see where it is.
    >
    > Any experienced travellers out there?
    >
    > If so, also any recommendations for web sites to read up on tips for
    > geriatric globe-hoppers?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John S.

    Hi,

    Just following up my ow original message to say many thanks for the helpful
    replies.

    Good point about the reciprocal health service agreement between UK and NZ.

    Also we can both have UK and NZ passports, so if we hop over to Europe for
    a few days I guess we could be covered by EU common agreements for medical
    services (but I need to find out about this).

    I think we will end up with a Kiwibank Mastercard gold card and use the
    free travel insurance for backup.

    Again, many thanks to all who took the trouble to send a bit of advice my
    way.

    Cheers,

    John S
    John S, Aug 10, 2012