Question on terminology

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by JF Mezei, Feb 17, 2009.

  1. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    Sorry if this isn't cisco specific, but I figure folks here would know.

    In ISP terms, what terminology would be used to discuss how much
    bandwidth is actually provided to each user relative to the advertised
    modem speed ?

    For instance, if you have 100 users at 7mbps on a DSLAM, but the dslam
    has only 100mbps link to the backbone, if all users downloaded at the
    same time, they'd only get 1mbps each, or 1/7 of their advertised speeds.

    Is this called over subscription rate ? (iof not, how is it called ?)

    In terms of cable, is it correct to state that the frequency allocation
    of the coax defines available bandwidth for the group of users attached
    to that coax segment ?

    If you allocate 30mhz to data on the coax, does this imply roughly
    30mbps capacity, or is the ratio of mhz per mbps very different ?

    If ISPs calculate that on average, their customers draw 300kbps
    (intermittent bursts of HTML text followed by long idle periods while
    user reads the page), how is this rate called ?

    Anyone know if there are publically available tables showing
    relationship between average use rate (or whatever it is called),
    advertised speeds and time.

    (aka: something showing how average use is affected by increased speeds,
    and how changing patterns change average use (downloading movies instead
    of text only HTML for instance) ?

    Or would such information be considered highly proprietary ?

    JF Mezei, Feb 17, 2009

  2. JF Mezei

    alexd Guest

    JF Mezei wrote:

    > In ISP terms, what terminology would be used to discuss how much
    > bandwidth is actually provided to each user relative to the advertised
    > modem speed ?

    Contention is one term in common use.

    > If you allocate 30mhz to data on the coax, does this imply roughly
    > 30mbps capacity, or is the ratio of mhz per mbps very different ?

    I would think it's a long way from being 1:1.

    > If ISPs calculate that on average, their customers draw 300kbps
    > (intermittent bursts of HTML text followed by long idle periods while
    > user reads the page), how is this rate called ?

    I'd call it 'bursty' traffic.

    > (aka: something showing how average use is affected by increased speeds,
    > and how changing patterns change average use (downloading movies instead
    > of text only HTML for instance) ?
    >
    > Or would such information be considered highly proprietary ?

    I reckon such information would be considered almost useless. It used to be
    that most usage was bursty, with a small minority hammering the P2P, but
    nowadays the 'average' data usage has massively increased with the advent
    of applications like Youtube, iPlayer, Windows Update etc. This has led to
    more ISPs employing bandwidth caps.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    19:11:45 up 74 days, 21:23, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.07, 0.01

    alexd, Feb 17, 2009

  3. JF Mezei

    Travis Guest

    Travis, Feb 18, 2009