question on SATA controllers and motherboards

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by CalvinHobbes, Jun 24, 2007.

  1. CalvinHobbes

    CalvinHobbes Guest

    With the old PATA, the motherboard would typically come with two
    controllers, each of which could control 2 devices on a cable. If one
    device was a DVD reader/writer, then one could use 3 HDDs without having to
    buy an extra controller card.

    I was looking at the inside of a friend's computer recently, which has
    SATA. The motherboard has two SATA controllers. But since a SATA
    controller cable only supports one device, one can only have 2 SATA HDDs in
    this system before having to buy an extra controller card.

    (I didn't look that closely at the DVD writer. I suppose that was probably
    connected to a separate PATA controller on the motherboard, and I suppose
    one could buy a PATA HDD to be plugged into that controller as a 3rd HDD on
    the system. It's just that in a newer system I would prefer to have all
    SATA HDDs since that's the way the technology is going.)

    I hate to lose the ability to have a 3rd HDD on a computer with SATA. I
    know one can buy an extra controller card, but they are problematic in some
    situations. For example, in some cases backup software has problems
    copying to an HDD on a separate controller card. So I was wondering...

    What is the norm these days for motherboards with SATA controllers - two or
    three? Assuming they make motherboards with three SATA controllers, are
    they mostly expensive / custom ones, or ones that would be found in
    mainstream systems at stores?

    CalvinHobbes, Jun 24, 2007

  2. CalvinHobbes

    Paul Guest

    CalvinHobbes wrote:
    > With the old PATA, the motherboard would typically come with two
    > controllers, each of which could control 2 devices on a cable. If one
    > device was a DVD reader/writer, then one could use 3 HDDs without having to
    > buy an extra controller card.
    >
    > I was looking at the inside of a friend's computer recently, which has
    > SATA. The motherboard has two SATA controllers. But since a SATA
    > controller cable only supports one device, one can only have 2 SATA HDDs in
    > this system before having to buy an extra controller card.
    >
    > (I didn't look that closely at the DVD writer. I suppose that was probably
    > connected to a separate PATA controller on the motherboard, and I suppose
    > one could buy a PATA HDD to be plugged into that controller as a 3rd HDD on
    > the system. It's just that in a newer system I would prefer to have all
    > SATA HDDs since that's the way the technology is going.)
    >
    > I hate to lose the ability to have a 3rd HDD on a computer with SATA. I
    > know one can buy an extra controller card, but they are problematic in some
    > situations. For example, in some cases backup software has problems
    > copying to an HDD on a separate controller card. So I was wondering...
    >
    > What is the norm these days for motherboards with SATA controllers - two or
    > three? Assuming they make motherboards with three SATA controllers, are
    > they mostly expensive / custom ones, or ones that would be found in
    > mainstream systems at stores?

    This one has 10 SATA ports. You can shop for whatever you want, in
    terms of SATA count. The advanced search on the motherboard pages
    here, has an item where you can select the number of SATA ports.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128037

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 24, 2007