    priority high

    on several interfaces. This config was in place before I got here. Can someone give me a hint on how to get this working on the new config?

    Thanks!
    Steve Pfister, Jul 27, 2012

  2. Steve Pfister

    Stephen Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 08:58:52 -0700 (PDT), Steve Pfister
    <> wrote:

    >We've recently installed a 6509e to replace a 4507R as a core switch. I'm having a bit of trouble getting the QoS settings right. I've got most of it right, I think, but the old config has:

    a google for "cisco.com 6500 best practice" will get you several links
    to cisco docs - these are open access

    1 issue with the 6509 is there have been several flavours of QoS
    implementation for different blades over the years, so QoS tends to be
    hardware specific
    - for example your I/O blades could have between 2 and 8 output
    queues, and some behave differently if that blade has a DFC
    daughtercard.....

    >map dscp 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 to tx-queue 2

    read the QoS manual docs, or the best practice guide.

    1 way to get reasonable results is to use the autoqos commands - pick
    a port flavour for trunks, end user connections etc, use autoqos and
    you get sensible settings for some scenarios.

    from memory
    basically the inbound packet DSCP or another marking logically maps a
    packet to a queue, and that mapping flows through to the output with
    the packet

    the map command overrides the default mapping.

    >and also:
    >
    >tx-queue 3
    >
    > priority high

    Some blades have a fixed priority queue - others can choose 1 queue as
    priority or a different scheme.

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl
    Stephen, Jul 28, 2012

  3. > 1 way to get reasonable results is to use the autoqos commands

    I'm starting to look at autoqos at your suggestion. Does the 6509 not support 'auto discovery qos'? Is there something else I need to turn on to get that?
    Steve Pfister, Jul 30, 2012
  4. Steve Pfister

    Stephen Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 09:17:21 -0700 (PDT), Steve Pfister
    <> wrote:

    >> 1 way to get reasonable results is to use the autoqos commands

    >I'm starting to look at autoqos at your suggestion. Does the 6509 not support 'auto discovery qos'? Is there something else I need to turn on to get that?

    a lot depends on software versions supervisor card types etc.

    all the manuals are online, so grab the outputs from "sh inventory",
    "sh hardware", "sh version" and go grab the docs.

    The cisco docs are good and there is plenty of info online, but once
    you get thru the support docs / software verison intro you should be
    able to find the stuff you need fairly easily since it is cross
    linked.
    www.cisco.com/go/6500

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/prod_literature.html

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/tsd_products_support_series_home.html