    --
    All of Usenet is in a psychological, emotional, and antisocial free fall
    into an abyss and fully immersed in a drowning pool of mental illness.
    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del, Jun 10, 2009

  2. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del wrote:
    > I am going to smoke some Bugler tobacco in a one hundred year old pipe
    > but, it is cracked.
    >
    > In the above sentence, does the comma come before or after the word
    > but?

    before

    Centre Parting, Jun 10, 2009

  3. In news:,
    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del <Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤®@Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤®.net> wrote:
    > I am going to smoke some Bugler tobacco in a one hundred year old pipe
    > but, it is cracked.
    >
    > In the above sentence, does the comma come before or after the word
    > but?

    Before the word "but."

    As independent clauses go "it is cracked' doesn't have much to say for
    itself, but the rule is that if the conjunction (in this case, "but")
    introduces an independent clause, a comma precedes the conjunction.

    > I just made up a sentence to use as an illustration; I don't smoke.

    Why would a guy who understands the correct use of the semicolon even ask
    this question, Altie?

    How's things?

    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

    "BTW: Lionel was no "kookologist". If you knew what you were talking
    about, you'd know that."

  4. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 19:33:45 -0500, Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del
    <Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤®@Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤®.net> wrote:

    >I am going to smoke some Bugler tobacco in a one hundred year old pipe
    >but, it is cracked.
    >
    >In the above sentence, does the comma come before or after the word but?
    >
    >I just made up a sentence to use as an illustration; I don't smoke.

    To really solve the problem:

    ....old pipe, however, it is cracked.
    richard, Jun 10, 2009
  5. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del

    doS Guest

    I am going to smoke some crack in a one hundred year old pipe

    doS, Jun 10, 2009
  6. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del

    alan Guest

    "richard" wrote
    > On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 19:33:45 -0500, Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del
    > <Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤®@Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤®.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I am going to smoke some Bugler tobacco in a one hundred year old pipe
    >>but, it is cracked.
    >>
    >>In the above sentence, does the comma come before or after the word but?
    >>
    >>I just made up a sentence to use as an illustration; I don't smoke.

    > To really solve the problem:
    >
    > ...old pipe, however, it is cracked.

    Actually, "richard" has not solved anything at all. Rather, he has created
    a new "problem".
    If you're going to join two independent clauses with "however", then you
    must use a semicolon before it and a comma after it:
    "I am going to smoke some Bugler tobacco in a one hundred year old pipe;
    however, it is cracked."
    alan, Jun 10, 2009
  7. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del

    VanguardLH Guest

    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del wrote:

    > I am going to smoke some Bugler tobacco in a one hundred year old pipe
    > but, it is cracked.
    >
    > In the above sentence, does the comma come before or after the word but?
    >
    > I just made up a sentence to use as an illustration; I don't smoke.

    Remove the comma. It's not needed.
    VanguardLH, Jun 10, 2009
  8. In news:,
    philo <> wrote:
    > "Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:,
    >> Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del <Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤®@Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤®.net> wrote:
    >>> I am going to smoke some Bugler tobacco in a one hundred year old
    >>> pipe but, it is cracked.
    >>>
    >>> In the above sentence, does the comma come before or after the word
    >>> but?

    >> Before the word "but."
    >>

    > Correct!

    I still want to know why Altie is doing grammar trolls.

    > Both of my parents were English teachers (among other things).

    You're a lucky boy.

    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

    "BTW: Lionel was no "kookologist". If you knew what you were talking
    about, you'd know that."

  9. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del, ye ill-begotten harlot, certainly, there is no truth in
    thee, ye squeaked:

    > I am going to smoke some Bugler tobacco in a one hundred year old pipe
    > but, it is cracked.
    >
    > In the above sentence, does the comma come before or after the word
    > but?

    An Australian would put it like this:

    Hu Flung Dung, Jun 10, 2009
  10. On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 20:04:22 -0500, "Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    >Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del <Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤®@Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤®.net> wrote:
    >> I am going to smoke some Bugler tobacco in a one hundred year old pipe
    >> but, it is cracked.
    >>
    >> In the above sentence, does the comma come before or after the word
    >> but?

    >Before the word "but."
    >
    >As independent clauses go "it is cracked' doesn't have much to say for
    >itself, but the rule is that if the conjunction (in this case, "but")
    >introduces an independent clause, a comma precedes the conjunction.
    >
    >> I just made up a sentence to use as an illustration; I don't smoke.

    >Why would a guy who understands the correct use of the semicolon even ask
    >this question, Altie?

    Because I don't know any other way to contact you, sweetie.

    >How's things?

    Good Rhonda, pretty good. Not anything fantastic mind you but, it is
    okay.
    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del, Jun 10, 2009
  11. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del

    Tommy Troll Guest

    On Jun 9, 9:56 pm, "Hu Flung Dung" <> wrote:
    > Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del, ye ill-begotten harlot, certainly, there is no truth in
    > thee, ye squeaked:
    >
    > > I am going to smoke some Bugler tobacco in a one hundred year old pipe
    > > but, it is cracked.

    > > In the above sentence, does the comma come before or after the word
    > > but?

    > An Australian would put it like this:
    >
    > "I am going to smoke some Bugler tobacco in a one hundred year old pipe
    > but

    http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/commas.htm

    Use a comma + a little conjunction (and, but, for, nor, yet, or, so)
    to connect two independent clauses, as in "He hit the ball well, but
    he ran toward third base."

    Contending that the coordinating conjunction is adequate separation,
    some writers will leave out the comma in a sentence with short,
    balanced independent clauses (such as we see in the example just
    given). If there is ever any doubt, however, use the comma, as it is
    always correct in this situation.

    One of the most frequent errors in comma usage is the placement of a
    comma after a coordinating conjunction. We cannot say that the comma
    will always come before the conjunction and never after, but it would
    be a rare event, indeed, that we need to follow a coordinating
    conjunction with a comma. When speaking, we do sometimes pause after
    the little conjunction, but there is seldom a good reason to put a
    comma there.
    Tommy Troll, Jun 10, 2009
  12. Tommy Troll, ye ape-like slanders of the age, what's the matter you
    dissentious rogue that, rubbing the poor itch of your opinion, make
    yourself a scab?, ye gagged:

    It was a joke, albeit a very accurate observation, you fuckwitted ****.
    Hu Flung Dung, Jun 10, 2009
  13. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 18:37:29 -0700, "alan" <>
    wrote:

    >"richard" wrote
    >> On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 19:33:45 -0500, Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del
    >> <Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤®@Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤®.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am going to smoke some Bugler tobacco in a one hundred year old pipe
    >>>but, it is cracked.
    >>>
    >>>In the above sentence, does the comma come before or after the word but?
    >>>
    >>>I just made up a sentence to use as an illustration; I don't smoke.

    >> To really solve the problem:
    >>
    >> ...old pipe, however, it is cracked.

    >Actually, "richard" has not solved anything at all. Rather, he has created
    >a new "problem".
    >If you're going to join two independent clauses with "however", then you
    >must use a semicolon before it and a comma after it:
    >"I am going to smoke some Bugler tobacco in a one hundred year old pipe;
    >however, it is cracked."

    Try this one on for size then smartboy.

    ....old pipe: it is cracked.
    richard, Jun 10, 2009
  14. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del

    alan Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 18:37:29 -0700, "alan" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"richard" wrote

    >>> To really solve the problem:
    >>>
    >>> ...old pipe, however, it is cracked.

    >>Actually, "richard" has not solved anything at all. Rather, he has
    >>created
    >>a new "problem".
    >>If you're going to join two independent clauses with "however", then you
    >>must use a semicolon before it and a comma after it:
    >>"I am going to smoke some Bugler tobacco in a one hundred year old pipe;
    >>however, it is cracked."
    >>

    > Try this one on for size then smartboy.
    >
    > ...old pipe: it is cracked.

    And WTF is that colon doing there? You REALLY know how to **** up the
    English language, don't you?
    alan, Jun 10, 2009
  15. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 19:48:28 -0700, "alan" <>
    wrote:

    >"richard" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 18:37:29 -0700, "alan" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"richard" wrote

    >>>Actually, "richard" has not solved anything at all. Rather, he has
    >>>created
    >>>a new "problem".
    >>>If you're going to join two independent clauses with "however", then you
    >>>must use a semicolon before it and a comma after it:
    >>>"I am going to smoke some Bugler tobacco in a one hundred year old pipe;
    >>>however, it is cracked."
    >>>

    >> Try this one on for size then smartboy.
    >>
    >> ...old pipe: it is cracked.

    >And WTF is that colon doing there? You REALLY know how to **** up the
    >English language, don't you?

    http://class.georgiasouthern.edu/writingc/handouts/punctuationrules.htm

    Then best explain to the college as they would like to know these
    things.
    richard, Jun 10, 2009
  16. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 21:21:07 -0400, richard <>
    wrote:

    >To really solve the problem:
    >
    >...old pipe, however, it is cracked.

    You're in no position to give grammatical advice.
    Evan Platt, Jun 10, 2009
  17. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 22:40:27 -0400, richard <>
    wrote:

    >Try this one on for size then smartboy.

    Since you're insulting someone in a thread regarding proper
    punctuation:

    In your above sentence, there should be a comma after then.
    Evan Platt, Jun 10, 2009
  18. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del

    alan Guest

    "richard" wrote

    >>> Try this one on for size then smartboy.
    >>>
    >>> ...old pipe: it is cracked.

    >>And WTF is that colon doing there? You REALLY know how to **** up the
    >>English language, don't you?

    > http://class.georgiasouthern.edu/writingc/handouts/punctuationrules.htm
    >
    > Then best explain to the college as they would like to know these
    > things.

    Maybe you need to look over your old college notes a little more carefully.
    They state that what follows a colon should be a *list* or an *explanation*.
    "it is cracked" is not a list. It is not an explanation. It is merely an
    observation. In order to express the misgivings or difficulty involved in
    using that pipe, you need to have a "but" or a "however". The colon itself
    is not doing the job . . .
    alan, Jun 10, 2009
  19. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del

    alan Guest

    "Rôgêr" wrote
    > alan wrote:
    >
    >> And WTF is that colon doing there? You REALLY know how to **** up the
    >> English language, don't you?

    > Give it up, Alan. You: can't; explain= chit* to# a< ?tree.

    (sigh) I know ---- just wasted some more time a few minutes ago. Pearls
    before swine . . .
    alan, Jun 10, 2009
  20. Rhonda, are you around? I have something to say to you.
    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del, Jun 10, 2009