    Thanks,
    anna
    , Feb 7, 2009

  2. In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > My question is
    > Do all the calls come thru a PC/Laptop device ?
    > Does the laptop have to be on for this service to work ?
    >
    > If this is so, then this is a problem. That means if my laptop is not
    > on, I will miss calls
    >
    > Currently I have Comcast cable Internet and telephone service.
    > I have a wireless router for my laptop: internet.
    >
    > Pls let me know as I am ignorant how MagicJack works.
    >
    > Your help will be highly appreciated.

    It connects to an active USB port on your PC - desk or lap top, so yes
    the machine has to be on and actively connected to the internet for
    the calls to work in and outbound.

    It also requires a certain amount of bandwidth to work effectively so
    you need low-end DSL at the least. A dial-up connection may not be
    adequate regardless of what they may say.

    I think the concept is more that of a second phone line.

    For people that may have limited resources, they may have DSL
    connections (or even broadband) but not an expensive telephone
    package. MagicJack and other VOIP services would allow one to have a
    low-cost local telephone service for local, incoming, and emergency
    calls, then use the VOIP line for long-distance needs.

    The idea is also that since it can plug in to just about any USB port
    on any computer, you can take it with you on the road. For some
    people this is adequate for communications with home or an office
    while still maintaining a local telephone number.

    I have a VOIP software solution I can use as a back-up phone if my
    regular one is not working but I still have internet, or if the line
    is tied up by a family member.

    Keep in mind that many VOIP systems do not interact with local 911
    services. You will need to check with the manufacturer if that is the
    case if you plan on using this as a primary phone.

    In my city, the police dispatch center created a standard telephone
    number at the station in our city that trunks in to their direct 911
    dispatch center. This allows people in my city to use VOIP phones and
    cell phones to be assured of reaching the police and fire in OUR city
    rather than a regional 911 dispatch center where most cell or VOIP
    phones wind up. Rather than dial 911 we use this standard 11 digit
    number you can program in and label it 911. Not all cities do this
    however.
    Tin Man Alley, Feb 7, 2009